Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electriticity rates Kw/h and standing charges

Options
  • 03-02-2021 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in an office building which is divided into lots of small units. I had been in a unit that did not have it's own meter so I was never charged for electric, was part of the rent.

I've been moved to another unit in the building, with its own meter, in the last year and have just started to get billed for my electric. The bill does not give usage details or any details at all, just x amount for a quarter period.

It seems a bit high to me, comparing it to my usage at home. Since I only have access to my domestic bill, I don't know what the rates are for commercial supply, can someone tell me please, cost per kw/h, standing charges, levies etc? I have recorded meter readings myself so with this info I should know if the bill is fair.

I don't know what the provider is, but I guess they are all similar?

Clearly I should be asking the landlord all this, but I'd like to get some feel for it before I go shouting my mouth off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cms88

Hi, I'm in an office building which is divided into lots of small units. I had been in a unit that did not have it's own meter so I was never charged for electric, was part of the rent.

I've been moved to another unit in the building, with its own meter, in the last year and have just started to get billed for my electric. The bill does not give usage details or any details at all, just x amount for a quarter period.

It seems a bit high to me, comparing it to my usage at home. Since I only have access to my domestic bill, I don't know what the rates are for commercial supply, can someone tell me please, cost per kw/h, standing charges, levies etc? I have recorded meter readings myself so with this info I should know if the bill is fair.

I don't know what the provider is, but I guess they are all similar?

Clearly I should be asking the landlord all this, but I'd like to get some feel for it before I go shouting my mouth off.

All the suppliers would have different rates ete

It's also odd the bill don't say what supplier it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I understand there will be differences, but guess they will be small (+/- 10%) due to market forces?

The bill is from my landlord, not the supplier. Like I said, gives no details, so the amount could be 100% correct, but I have no way to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Best fixed rate at present is about 16.5c/unit + vat. Standard charge is about 65c per day.

Then there's the pso levy and a small green levy.

Standard business rate is circa 20c per unit + vat. Discounted domestic rates are usually up to 15% lower than discounted business rates in my experience.

If I remember correctly the base cost is about €35 a month + electricity usage on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Many thanks, that give me a good basis to estimate what if should be.

Advertisement