Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women stabbed near IFSC has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

tdf7187 wrote: »
    You'd be wasting your time with that argument. The EU has banned the death penalty in all member states. Ireland will not be leaving the EU any time soon. Even in Brexit Britain, there is no talk of re-introducing the death penalty.

I came see the reason for the abolishment due to miscarriages of justice carried out . The birmingham 6 and guilford 4 would have been hung if the death penalty was still there. But today with forensics , cctv , technology tracing there's zero chance of someone being wrongly convicted of murder. Theres people out there , be it rapists , pedos , murderers who have no place in society and should be hanging from the bottom of a rope

What is the charge and possible sentence if someone is found carrying a knife?

I'm really good friends with a fella, and he has a brother. His brother is not a complete scumbag, but still a scumbag. Hangs around with total wasters, and is always drunk. Always carries a knife. Has been in trouble with the Gardai a few times for his behaviour, albeit, to be fair, he has never actually attacked anyone (at least not that I know of).

He's 'junkie' material, but generally not malicious.

I'm going back about 10 years here, but he was caught with a knife by the Gardai who took it off him and told him if they catch him again, he'll be arrested. He was caught again, and the same 'do it again and you'll be arrested'.

He was caught a third time, and they arrested him. He was brought to a holding cell in the local station, where he got fed. He was then brought to Mountjoy, and got fed there, too. Then they released him, within about 2 hours, as it was getting late, and if they held onto him any longer, he wouldn't be able to get a bus home.

This is the best part of the story - They gave him €50 to get himself home. In cash. Actual, real, usable, money. Not a voucher or a ticket, an actual €50 note.

A bus costs about €8 single journey. So he got fed twice, and he was up money after it all.

And we wonder why we've problems. He still carries a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What is the charge and possible sentence if someone is found carrying a knife?

Dont know. The little monsters they can claim it’s a prop for a rap video they’re making. Whether it involves robbing a maxol or what

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Rip to the woman who died.
    If justice was right, the pond rat arrested will never see daylight again.
    He will be on the street in about 5 years unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just want to say that her name was Urantsetseg Tserendorj, or Umaa to her friends, and that she was a mother of 2. She deserves to have her name said. RIP Umaa

I'm furious I really am.

These scrotes can't be allowed act above our society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

walshb wrote: »
    Like I said, I know you cannot fix everything everywhere

I know this..

Not sure what it has to do with tacking the here and now....the present.....

Keeping dangerous people away from society

And I mean across all areas....not just East Wall and the inner city...and not just knife crime.

We need tough sanctions and sentences on those who commit serious crime....it could not be simpler.....right now this is not the case, and it is clearly not the case...and society suffers because of it...

Look at the disgracefully lenient sentences handed down to some serious crimes.....no wonder people have no fear of committing them when they know they will not be sent away for long stretches...
    For what purpose? If the goal is to reduce crime then tougher sentences are not likely to work (see USA). There is not a simple pen stroke solution there for that, it takes at least a generation of not two or three of hard unrelenting work to reform whole communities.

If the goal is retribution at the individual level, well then you may have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Terrible news, the same could've happened to that young woman in Balbriggan recently. The authorities need to come down hard on knife crime before we become London.

betarayjay wrote: »
    obv it depends on the article extensions but in layman's terms if u have a knife with you in public and cant explain why well your guilty of an offence (say a chef working between restaurants and in his bag are his knifes that's an acceptable excuse while if your out shopping and you got a flick knife ... not so much)

But when it says “you shall be guilty of an offence” does that mean that the offence is carrying a knife or is the offence something else listed on that link?I’m pure ignorant when it comes to reading this stuff as my mind drifts once I see subsection this and subsection that.

Say I was walking down Grafton Street smoking a spliff. The guards stop me and search me. They find a knife with a nine inch blade on me. I’m arrested and apart from the drugs charge, what’s the actual charge and possible sentence I would get for having the knife on me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

But when it says “you shall be guilty of an offence” does that mean that the offence is carrying a knife or is the offence something else listed on that link?I’m pure ignorant when it comes to reading this stuff as my mind drifts once I see subsection this and subsection that.

Say I was walking down Grafton Street smoking a spliff. The guards stop me and search me. They find a knife with a nine inch blade on me. I’m arrested and apart from the drugs charge, what’s the actual charge and possible sentence I would get for having the knife on me?

The charge is being in possession of a knife and upto 5 years.

It's upto you then to prove you had reasonable excuse for having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betarayjay

its already too far gone, facts r there's no room at the inn u can rake up 300 warrants n they still wont put u away just give a warning

• Advertisement

Just want to say that her name was Urantsetseg Tserendorj, or Umaa to her friends

I'm not too clued into Dublin's geography, but I wonder did her ethnicity have anything to do with it. Remember a few months back, a Chinese woman was pushed into a canal by our lovely youth. Was that along this area?

https://www.thejournal.ie/shelly-xiong-chinese-woman-pushed-into-royal-canal-dublin-5177117-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

RIP to that poor woman prob working overtime for to pay the Bill's after christmas the fecker should be hung simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betarayjay

lol obv not speaking from experience but like anything its all down to perception if we both read a paragraph and come out with separate opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

He should be tried as an adult. No fixing someone that does this at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm not too clued into Dublin's geography, but I wonder did her ethnicity have anything to do with it. Remember a few months back, a Chinese woman was pushed into a canal by our lovely youth. Was that along this area?

https://www.thejournal.ie/shelly-xiong-chinese-woman-pushed-into-royal-canal-dublin-5177117-Aug2020/

And there it is, I was wondering when the thread would be thrown into a debate about racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Think that was more Broombridge so far enough away from IFSC in honesty. Both foreign looking women on their own and attacked. Brave blokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And there it is, I was wondering when the thread would be thrown into a debate about racism.

Probably seen as an easier target, as sad and as grim as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pineapplez56

People need to protest against this. There needs to be minimum 3-5 year automatic jail sentences to anyone caught with a knife on them without having a very very very good reason.. obviously no 15 year old should be carrying one and if they were being put away till they’re 20 maybe they’ll think twice about carrying one. It’s gone ridiculous now the amount of stabbings lately knife crime is on the rise.. all these kids listen to that drill ****e that glorifies knife culture something needs to be done now! The little scrote should be locked away till he’s an old man he doesn’t deserve a life after taking one in such a horrific way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Very sad but building more prisons is not the answer. It doesn't and hasn't worked in other democracies like the UK or the US. I do believe in the eye for an eye model though but not this sitting on death row for 10 years nonsense do it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is crime still in those places, but there's poverty, too. There are people starving so much so that it's worth robbing someone to try and survive.

In Ireland, even "the homeless" are people who have somewhere to live, but it's not a free pad supplied at no cost to them by the council with a lifetime tenancy guaranteed.

Everyone gets €200 in the pocket each week and if you're stuck for a communion dress or a washing machine, fill in an exceptional needs form and Social Welfare will pay for it.

People steal, attack, rob, etc. in Ireland because there's no punishment, it's a bit of a laugh and they're "having the craic". It's not theft out of necessity, like in other places. A 15 year old, living in a house supplied by the state, with schooling being thrown at him, has no excuse for trying to rob someone, and even less excuse for attacking them.

Rather than punishment, I'd say consequences. The reason there is little crime in some eastern societies is because of the shame it brings on the individual, family and community. It isn't tolerated within the community. It isn't because the criminal punishment is more severe or the police are better.

Contrast that with some of our inner city communities and then you'll see why there is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll be able to back up this big claim. I certainly didn't meet many right wing people when studying law.

They let any old left wing sham study law in this country alright. They do have the means and power afterall.

The case isn't as black and white as we are led to believe....So the youth that was stabbed was helping the driver or the gang attacking the driver?

You'll only get one side of the story nationally anyway. A chap was killed around where I live, not too long ago. The media and stories painted him in a different light than the reality. Even yer man with the knife that was shot recently is a saint.

So although I've no facts about whether or not the teen that was stabbed was helping or attacking the deliveroo guy, I wouldn't wholly trust what I read online.

Listening to ruth coppinger and other clowns on the Left after george got shot by the Garda, apparently a knife isn't a weapon...

Mimon wrote: »
    Change the law so that children convicted of extreme violence are treated the same way as adults. 15 is plenty old enough to know the consequences of his actions.

The actual movement is the other direction.

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/ireland-urged-to-raise-age-of-criminal-responsibility

Think that was more Broombridge so far enough away from IFSC in honesty. Both foreign looking women on their own and attacked. Brave blokes.

Ah okay, don't know the area too well, but i know there's water near the IFSC, so wasn't sure.

What debate? I asked a question.

I had a house break in, by a 12 year old. Garda brought him home to his (equally scummy) parents. Never another word said about it. :rolleyes:

Anyone from 10 onwards knows right and wrong. at 12, 13, 14, 15, etc. they also know they're not going to be arrested. Sure that's why so many of them area dealing and carrying drugs.

For what purpose? If the goal is to reduce crime then tougher sentences are not likely to work (see USA). There is not a simple pen stroke solution there for that, it takes at least a generation of not two or three of hard unrelenting work to reform whole communities.

If the goal is retribution at the individual level, well then you may have a point.

We actually don’t know how much more crime the US would have if it had lesser sentences. Probably more.

Comparing the US to Europe doesn’t really with, the Americas as a whole are violent. Mostly more violent than the US. In many cases mich more so.

Not that I’m suggesting that we go full US.

It could well have been a racist attack. We don’t know.

I had a house break in, by a 12 year old. Garda brought him home to his (equally scummy) parents. Never another word said about it. :rolleyes:

Anyone from 10 onwards knows right and wrong. at 12, 13, 14, 15, etc. they also know they're not going to be arrested. Sure that's why so many of them area dealing and carrying drugs.

Them canada goose and moncler jackets don't come cheap

• Advertisement

Rather than punishment, I'd say consequences. The reason there is little crime in some eastern societies is because of the shame it brings on the individual, family and community. It isn't tolerated within the community. It isn't because the criminal punishment is more severe or the police are better.

Contrast that with some of our inner city communities and then you'll see why there is a problem.

But if little anto gets in trouble, among certain communities (the only ones he mixes in) it's a badge of honour. Smashing a Garda car windscreen makes him 'a mad yoke' and calling the gardai names as he cycles by them is 'great craic'.

The approach of shaming doesn't work when you have it completely inverted. An issue is that these people get the same handouts and benefits from the government. If that was stopped, at least then they'd have less than their peers, and be 'looked down on' as a result. It wouldn't be idea, but it'd be the only way of creating a 'shame' in that kind of community.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement