Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creosote post suppliers

• 03-02-2021 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at various sites and reviews plus some threads here over the last few days related to creosote posts. There's a company in Cork called McNamara Fencing that sells duraposts. Has anyone got one positive / negative experiences of these duraposts ? They look good when reading about them on their website but good to get some real world opinions on them.

Anyone recommend any other suppliers selling decent creosote round posts closer to Dublin ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

FRS in Cahir Tipperary sell good creosote stakes. They deliver too. Not sure how competitive they are on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

davidk1394 wrote: »
    FRS in Cahir Tipperary sell good creosote stakes. They deliver too. Not sure how competitive they are on price.

Thanks David will check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

NcdJd wrote: »
    Thanks David will check them out.

I can PM you a number if you wish. I never bought them but I did fence with them for someone. Plenty of creosote and a good circular stake. I was driving them into rocky ground and none split or broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

I've only heard good about McNamara posts. They deliver nationwide as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I bought 200 of McNamara 6' posts a few months ago and have most of them down now. I find them very good. The odd one has cracks in it but once the crack is full of Creosote it's not a problem. The were close to 8.50 each. I was getting the same type from a local hardware store for around the same price but I find McNamara's are far harder wood. Often I'd have to leave one under one side of the post driver on a slope to level it up. there wouldn't be a mark on them after it. The other ones would have chunks knocked out of them.

I'm using 7ft concrete posts as strainers and these lads in between. Only carrying 1 electric wire but should be good for 30yrs, hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I bought 200 of McNamara 6' posts a few months ago and have most of them down now. I find them very good. The odd one has cracks in it but once the crack is full of Creosote it's not a problem. The were close to 8.50 each. I was getting the same type from a local hardware store for around the same price but I find McNamara's are far harder wood. Often I'd have to leave one under one side of the post driver on a slope to level it up. there wouldn't be a mark on them after it. The other ones would have chunks knocked out of them.

I'm using 7ft concrete posts as strainers and these lads in between. Only carrying 1 electric wire but should be good for 30yrs, hopefully.

That will be a fine electric fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Thanks for the feedback lads, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Jaysus that sounds a noble job. How far apart are you spacing the posts.

Advertisement