Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veranda roof - multiwall polycarbonate or corrugated PVC?

• 03-02-2021 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

I'm about to embark upon an upgrade project for our existing patio - basically build a covered lean-to (veranda) against the side of the house from timber, then put a roof on top (4m long x 2.5m out from the house).

My missus wants to maximize the available light so she'd prefer to use clear, corrugated PVC sheeting for the roof. However, after doing a bit of research online, it would appear that multiwall polycarbonate roofing is more popular. It offers better insulation but might reduce the transmitted light. The PVC sheeting is also about 2/3 the cost of the multiwall polycarbonate.

The veranda will be west facing so will catch the afternoon and evening sun (on those rare occasions when it appears :)), it will also only cover about 1/4 of the patio so plenty of space that won't be covered over.

So which should I go for - PVC or polycarbonate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I prefer multi wall poly, but with corrugated PVC you avoid the issue of condensation within the roof (which will lead to staining and impossible to clean mould)

You do get breathable and non breathable tapes for each end of the multi wall, but I'm just not sure how reliable they will be in a first time DIY attempt (nothing personal!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pick whichever you prefer the look of.

Insulation is irrelevant in an outdoor space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kil

Sorry to hijack the thread I'm looking to do something similar but 3m x 3m - I am using the following for inspiration unless anyone else can share some ideas?
    https://www.buildeazy.com/lean-to-pergola-pvc-roof/

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071231

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

There is a mini-box profile single wall Polycarbonate which I got from Blarney Trading Co in Cork.
    Looks pretty good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

I did a lean-to project last year to side of house - about 11m long x 3.5m wide. 8m solid roof (rubber on timber) and 3m solid clear polycarbonate (6mm thick). Between house wall and boundary wall. The area would have been too dark otherwise.
    I closed in front end with clad gates and have removeable tarpaulin ends at other. Lads are using most of it as gym / games room.
    Solid poly looks like glass but cheaper. But then the solid poly is a good bit more expensive than multiwall.
    Everyone's taste and budgets are different but I wouldn't be a fan of the look multi-wall although it would have made my job a lot easier.
    Likewise for the corri but also very practical and cost effective.
    We wanted glass but was outside our budget. Condensation is an issue occasionally but probably not a worry for you if open on sides.
    Check out Dave on TodayFM's instagram page, he did something similar to what you are taking about I think. Some great photos and video clips.
    As someone once told me on this site, youtube is your friend !
    Have you thought about roof pitch, water run off, detail of roof meeting house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm about to embark the very same thing in my own house tomorrow. Same size too. I'm going with 16mm triple wall polycarbonate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

GreeBo wrote: »
    I prefer multi wall poly, but with corrugated PVC you avoid the issue of condensation within the roof (which will lead to staining and impossible to clean mould)

You do get breathable and non breathable tapes for each end of the multi wall, but I'm just not sure how reliable they will be in a first time DIY attempt (nothing personal!)

You can buy the multiwall stuff from places like 365plastics.ie and then will cut to size for you and supply the sheet with the tape applied on both sides. Just need to add capping bars for the ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

365plastics Ashbourne or Print Solutions Dublin for the poly. I found the latter very helpful and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cgc5483 wrote: »
    You can buy the multiwall stuff from places like 365plastics.ie and then will cut to size for you and supply the sheet with the tape applied on both sides. Just need to add capping bars for the ends.

They provide the tape, in my case they certainly didn't apply it.

Advertisement