Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Married V Single rate

• 03-02-2021 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi
    Ive just had my accountant compute the tax I owe on rental income. I work fulltime in Ireland therefore the rental income has been taxed at 48.5%.
    Accountant mentioned doing an AVC which will reduce my tax bill. Ive just realized that I have never informed him that my marital status changed to married in 2017. Would this lead to a reduction in my tax bill? Is it worth informing him? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hi
    Ive just had my accountant compute the tax I owe on rental income. I work fulltime in Ireland therefore the rental income has been taxed at 48.5%.
    Accountant mentioned doing an AVC which will reduce my tax bill. Ive just realized that I have never informed him that my marital status changed to married in 2017. Would this lead to a reduction in my tax bill? Is it worth informing him? Thanks.

Only if your wife could transfer her credits to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Do you happen to know anything about paying tax monthly? I got a slight shock with this tax bill and can either borrow from bank to pay it or wondering if theres a way I can pay back monthly.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Do you happen to know anything about paying tax monthly? I got a slight shock with this tax bill and can either borrow from bank to pay it or wondering if theres a way I can pay back monthly.
    Thank you.

You should be putting money aside to pay the tax bills.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

You should be putting money aside to pay the tax bills.

This, we have a rental property, you need to be putting money aside each month so you don't get hit for it all at once.

For the 2020 tax year you have until 31/10/21 to pay the tax man although strictly speaking you should pay provisional tax (95% of estimated liability) by 31 March each year. Not sure how strict they are on enforcement of provisional tax though.

Your accountant should be able to guide you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

This, we have a rental property, you need to be putting money aside each month so you don't get hit for it all at once.

For the 2020 tax year you have until 31/10/21 to pay the tax man although strictly speaking you should pay provisional tax (95% of estimated liability) by 31 March each year. Not sure how strict they are on enforcement of provisional tax though.

Thanks a mill. Some important dates in there I wasn't aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It depends on the quantity.

If the amount is significant and the interest is significant they enforce 100% of the time. If the amount is not signficnat and the interest is minimal they never enforce.

By the way the payment for preliminary tax should be by 31 October. Ie for 2020 tax preliminary is due by 31 October 2020.

It depends on the quantity.

If the amount is significant and the interest is significant they enforce 100% of the time. If the amount is not signficnat and the interest is minimal they never enforce.

By the way the payment for preliminary tax should be by 31 October. Ie for 2020 tax preliminary is due by 31 October 2020.

Who decides the definition of 'significant' ?

My mistake on the date for preliminary tax, this is correct althoughike I say I'm not sure how much they enforce, have never had it enforced for rental income (we have just the one property - accidental landlord stuff). Have never been chased so maybe that's classified as not significant.

Who decides the definition of 'significant' ?

My mistake on the date for preliminary tax, this is correct althoughike I say I'm not sure how much they enforce, have never had it enforced for rental income (we have just the one property - accidental landlord stuff). Have never been chased so maybe that's classified as not significant.

They do. It seems to change every year but if the interest on the preliminary tax would be over 500 it seems to be enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You can't make an AVC to offset tax on your rental income.

Do you have enough PAYE income to do it against?

They do. It seems to change every year but if the interest on the preliminary tax would be over 500 it seems to be enforced.

Thanks, as a matter of interest any idea what level of preliminary tax would generate €500 in interest?

• Advertisement

Thanks, as a matter of interest any idea what level of preliminary tax would generate €500 in interest?

Just to clarify I've seen multiple times when revenue enforce interest when the interest bill in preliminary tax is just over €500 but I dont go calculating out interest when revenue doesn't enforce so I'm not sure how universal enforcement is.

According to my maths this morning a year of preliminary tax (ie 31 October to 31 October) interest on €6,250 of income tax would be 500 exactly. Every time I've seen revenue enforce interest on preliminary tax it's been over 500 but only barely on occasion.

The interest rate is 0.0219% a day.

When the interest is significantly over 500 I believe enforcement is fully automatic.

Advertisement