Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting Fridge interferrence with tv

Options
  • 03-02-2021 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Troubleshooting issue with Whirlpool ARC 5070.
    Can anyone ID the Black component ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would say that the first photo is of the condenser and the second is a stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mrtom

2011 wrote: »
    I would say that the first photo is of the condenser and the second is a stat.

And a stat is ?
    Looking for the mains filter suppressor......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mrtom wrote: »
    And a stat is ?
    Looking for the mains filter suppressor......

....short for “thermostat” which is a temperature controlled switch.

2011 wrote: »
    ....short for “thermostat” which is a temperature controlled switch.

Ah, thanks, though an odd position for a stat in a fridge-freezer, in open area at the back at floor level ?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Ah, thanks, though an odd position for a stat in a fridge-freezer, in open area at the back at floor level ?

It's a defrost stat.

• Advertisement

Excellent, you have helped eliminate this component from the issue.
    I should have explained to all that the fridge work's perfectly however recently when the compressor kicks in the TV blinks for a millisecond.
    I'v paid the call out fee for an "expert" which was a total waste of time so am researching this myself. Now reading up on the "start relay". Using my free time constructively.:) Appreciate your help.

I'v paid the call out fee for an "expert" which was a total waste of time

That's normal. Rip off Ireland. I generally work on a no fix no fee basis.
    I also do my own mechanical work because I diagnose problems instead of throwing parts at it until the problem goes away.

I don't know how these tunts get away with it. :confused:

Is the fridge and the telly on the same MCB?

Try a line filter on the fridge.

That's normal. Rip off Ireland. I generally work on a no fix no fee basis.
    I also do my own mechanical work because I diagnose problems instead of throwing parts at it until the problem goes away.

I don't know how these tunts get away with it. :confused:

Is the fridge and the telly on the same MCB?

Try a line filter on the fridge.

Welcome onboard. yep, it shares the same circuit.
    Am considering a Mains Filter Suppressor, described as "The purpose of the mains filter inside your appliance is to prevent interference from the motor affecting other appliances in your home". Sounds right to me but where to put the 3 connections!

https://www.espares.ie/product/es483701/mains-filter-suppressor

I'd start by putting the two appliances on separate radials

Your link looks a bit cheapo (maybe just a random capacitor with some MOVs if yer lucky), I'd say line in, line out + earth {Edit: in hindsight if it's a cap and passives parallel L,N,E probably}. I'd recommend something beefier along the lines of a common mode choke.

• Advertisement

I'd start by putting the two appliances on separate radials

Your link looks a bit cheapo (maybe just a random capacitor with some MOVs if yer lucky), I'd say line in, line out + earth. I'd recommend something beefier along the lines of a common mode choke.

Got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 KlArmy

Welcome onboard. yep, it shares the same circuit.
    Am considering a Mains Filter Suppressor, described as "The purpose of the mains filter inside your appliance is to prevent interference from the motor affecting other appliances in your home". Sounds right to me but where to put the 3 connections!

They normally go on the input to the appliance afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Aren't those three-lead suppressors just two class-XY capacitors across the L to N and L to E?
    If so, they are best coupled right up close to the motor. The original capacitors may have degraded by now due to heat, but can normally be left in circuit.

Advertisement