Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off work for newborn

• 03-02-2021 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Due a baby soon and wondering how long should a dad take off work to help out mom and be there for a newborn...

Have booked 3 weeks (2 week paternity and 1 week annual) but maybe longer is required at this stage, rather than saving leave for later. No sure if employer would be accepting of a month straight though...

What in your experience is a good way to handle time off at this time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Take as much time as you can reasonably afford to. If you can take a month, take a month. If you can take 6 weeks, take 6 weeks.

You will all need time to find your feet. The more time that you can spend getting to know the baby, letting your wife go to sleep between feeds during the day, being available to run out and grab stuff you forgot to buy, etc. the better.

Some people get into the jig very quick and your wife might be sick of the sight of you after 3 weeks. Much easier to cancel planned leave and go back to work early than to keep asking your employer to extend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just be aware paternity leave may be social welfare payment only...employer does not have to top up your wages but does have to allow you the time off. Up to employer but just be aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

As much as you can afford I would say. A month would be fantastic if it was manageable for you.

Remember you'll be entitled to 5 weeks parents leave in the first two years as well.

When my husband went back to work after our eldest was born he did half days for the first two weeks (this was pre Covid so he wasn't working from home) this was a huge boost to me because it meant I didn't have to cope with the baby for the whole day quite so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My husband took 2 weeks for our first but I had had some complications post labour so in hindsight he should have taken more. 2nd baby (Covid baby) he took 4 weeks and was then working from home. We needed at least the 4 weeks with a 2 year old running around and me breastfeeding the baby. There’s no right or wrong answer but you won’t regret taking more but could regret not taking more depending on the labour and recovery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah it really depends on how it works out. I tended to get sick of the sight of my husband by about 3 weeks (:D) and be ready to get into my own routine with the baby so you might want to book about 4ish weeks and leave your options open. It can depend on how the birth goes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Thank you for your insights.

Thinking a good strategy would be to take 3 weeks immediately after, plus half days for another 2 weeks after that.

Only have 21 days annual leave. On top of Paternity Leave of 2 weeks.
    Bobsammy wrote: »
    Remember you'll be entitled to 5 weeks parents leave in the first two years as well.

But this 5 weeks Parents leave - is this paid for by my employer or the state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Take as much time as you can. The first few weeks are a whirlwind so maybe do as another poster did and go back on a half week or half days for a week or two on your return. If possible, could you manage to take leave for the birth but stay working while your wife is in hospital? Depending on what type of birth she has, she could be in hospital for up to 5 days. My two kids were jaundiced so I had to stay in for 3 days each time. With the Covid restrictions, you would be limited in how much (if at all) you would be allowed to visit after the birth so you would be better saving your leave until they come home if your job are flexible enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

But this 5 weeks Parents leave - is this paid for by my employer or the state?

It’s a statutory payment unless your employer is topping it up.

bee06 wrote: »
    It’s a statutory payment unless your employer is topping it up.

So it's social welfare who are paying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You are getting social welfare rate only. Unless your employer is topping up your salary, you might be helping out more by just working as normal and being in a provider role.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I took 6 weeks total for both of mine, but only took 3 weeks immediately after birth for each and then the second 3 weeks later. This meant I had an extra long summer holiday and an extra long Christmas which in turn gave my wife an extended break during these periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

So it's social welfare who are paying it?

Parental leave is unpaid leave.

Paternity leave is 2 weeks paid by the state leave, your employer may or may not choose to pay you the balance

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Segotias wrote: »

Paternity leave is 2 weeks paid by the state leave, your employer may or may not choose to pay you the balance

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html

There is an additional parents leave too which is the same as paternity leave essentially (SW payment, no obligation to employers to top up) and you are entitled to take the time. It is different from parental leave, which is entirely unpaid.

Segotias wrote: »

Is parents leave a welfare payment, paid for for 5 weeks by the state?

My employer pays full usual salary during Paternity Leave - which is 2 weeks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is parents leave a welfare payment, paid for for 5 weeks by the state?

My employer pays full usual salary during Paternity Leave - which is 2 weeks.

Paternity leave - 2 weeks - SW payment of 240 per week, employers can choose to top up to full pay.
    Parents leave - 2 weeks (5 weeks from April 1st) - Applies to all babies born after Nov 1 2019 to be taken before the child is 2. SW payment of 240 per week, employers can choose to top up to full pay.
    Parental leave - unpaid leave to be taken with employers agreement, something like 26 weeks per child until they are 12 (might be different now). No SW payment, employers generally won't offer anything paid for this either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I coped fine with newborns. My husband had paid paternity leave for all ours thanks to company policy. I was ready for him to go back after that time was up! Maybe we had easy babies but we didn't find they turned life upside down at all.
    I had c sections so I did feel a bit restricted with not driving for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Have you asked your partner what she thinks would suit best? She might prefer you to have some time a bit further down the line, you don’t have to take it all immediately. My OH had very little time off when any of our kids were born and it was fine.
    I wouldn’t have minded having a bit of extra help with the older ones when the younger ones were born, but when I had my first child I think 4 weeks of having the three of us cooped up together would have driven me a bit Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'd say take as much as you can afford/ your employer allows. My OH took the two weeks paternity and then the week he went back was so bad, he booked another two weeks annual leave after that. And this was with him working from home so he was there lunchtime and from early evening. It's just hard to put into words how much work a new baby is I suppose :D Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

lazygal wrote: »
    I coped fine with newborns. My husband had paid paternity leave for all ours thanks to company policy. I was ready for him to go back after that time was up! Maybe we had easy babies but we didn't find they turned life upside down at all.
    I had c sections so I did feel a bit restricted with not driving for a few weeks.

Wow fair play. I feel like the lazy one now! :D

Advertisement