Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charging without a driveway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe they'll follow the Japanese approach, where you have to have your own storage space for your vehicle before you buy it, so no using public space to subsidise your transport choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

I Don’t have a home charger and trying to get a management company to engage is just so difficult .

I have a 50kw near me - I’m seriously thinking of buying electric and seeing Hiw it goes . Have a diesel car in the household too so should be ok I hope …. If it doesn’t work I’ll sell - prob lose a good bit but think I’ll give it a try ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware 50kW chargers can be busy at peak morning evening times with 2 or more cars queuing. Sometimes it can take 1 hour plus queuing before you start charging, and sometimes they become broken and are not fixed for 1 year+. Personally I would not recommend it. If you had workplace charging it would be ok, but depending on mileage and car you may need to charge multiple times per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's plenty of space in my development. The problem is how to get power to the spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

We live in a terraced house but our door is right beside the shared parking space.

I have installed a charging point outside our front door and run a cable up the path which we own. The cable has to traverse a few inches of shared space. Maximum a foot between our path and the car. Which I know is a grey area. The cable is detachable so it is not lying around as a trip hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That Zip Charge is interesting. Charge the device at home or work then leave the battery to charge the car while at work or home during the day. Only issue is if used several times a week how many years would it last.

I work shifts so could charge the car at home from 2-5am or on my day shift charge before bed at 10-11pm and the GF could unplug at 6am when going to work. Nobody is ever walking past my house at those hours and it wouldn't be daily either so no real issue to residents.

I know I'd forget or not be bothered some nights so not always ideal but between that and something like the Zip Charge I could see myself getting by until a solution for my estate is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wyen789

Hi All, only came across this post recently and wondered has anyone had luck installing charger cable through footpath where footpath owned by management company? I'm in a similar situation where my house has a common footpath running in front of my entrance and between my property and the parking space with management company refusing to respond positively on installing an ev charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Another option I've seen is the charging arm, NMD do them, could be an option for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A number of people in my estate and the surrounding ones have installed under the footpath, not sure what conoani they used but nobody asked for permission, better to ask for forgiveness. Estates are pending handover with the local council.

Once handed over the council are in charge of the footpaths and they seem reluctant for approving things for new estates after they're built.

• Advertisement

Ideally you need a defined marked designated space and then you pay yourself for an insured company to do all the work. The management company kay be worried about someone tripping over the charger or cable to the car and the impact on their public liability quote or cover. Typically management companies say no to everything by default.

Badly run OMCs say no. I recently asked mine about installing solar panels on the roof above my apartment and EV charging plans, we've unassigned parking and meters are no where the parking spaces. No problem with solar panels and for EV charging they didn't have a plan, from reading here there is no suitable option for OMCs to retro fit EV charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's horse manure, they could easily run ducting under the footpath between your meter and a pillar, distance should be a small concern

There is grants for "multi unit developments" main issue is that omc need to pay some money themselves and the finances of the system may make mo sense. The eventual prices may also be crazy if everyone is marking up the price, the omc, the charger installer, the company supporting the chargers long term

The cost to run the cable would power my car for several years using high speed public chargers and we don't have assigned parking, so I never asked about a personal solution.

I know about the grants. From reading here and other places the current opinions will be too expensive for the OMC and/or the owner of the EV so I never pushed it. It was more of a general query to see what they would say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement