Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay for something that you dropped in a shop?

• 03-02-2021 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I was buying a few bits in Dunnes on Monday and when I got to the till I dropped some yogurts which burst but before I could pick them up the sales assistant had picked them up and brought them off. She said you may get another packet but I was not bothered as I had another packet with me and was not stuck for them but would have paid for the other packet as it was my fault.
    So if something similar happened to you would you still pay for it?
    The same thing happened to me in Tesco once and I paid for them anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d probably offer if it was my fault and near a till / staff members but I’d not be hugely impressed if they insisted, accidents happen, a supermarket won’t be going under because you cost them 3 euro in profit. .... their prices and budgets etc. take into account accidental breakages, theft... me as a regular customer is probably spending 7000-7500 per annum with them , perhaps more... so if they got arsey over loosing out on 3 euros.. fûck them... accidents happen but on purpose I’d be shopping elsewhere... they’d have lost 7003 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’m confused - did s/he scan them and you were charged and left without them or did you shrug them off and not pay for them?

If it were me I’d apologise properly and expect not to pay for then or be charged for them assuming its just a yoghurt or something.

If it was a kid running amuck in a gift shop grabbing at things or being let jump around on a white sofa in a shop while his mother ignored him that’d be a different conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

For small low value items most retail outlets will not charge before checkout.

Their main concern will be to get any mess or debris cleaned up in case of an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Unless there's signs up "damage must be paid for"..."nice to look at , nice to hold, if you break it we say sold" etc then a shop won't look for payment.

I've worked in a few different retail places and it was always the same... reassure customer it's ok, get the breakage cleared, get replacement....if it's a "wet" spill make sure you have the warning sign up, call another member of staff to stand at the spill until it's sorted......the "wet" spill that could cause an injury/claim was their big concern....200 euro denby t set, feck it....a cup of tea spill "high alert" get it sorted asap call the rest of the team if you need to just get it dry.

Op I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'd certainly offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's what personal liability insurance is for, covers things like that if there was a problem with the supermarket not claiming on theirs

I'd certainly offer

Definitely a nice friendly thing to do.

There is usually a degree of embarrassment and sometimes a little confusion in these circumstances and an offer to pay can help smooth things over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why would you not pay? Whatever about in Dunnes - presumably in a small shop you'd pay for something you broke, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I'm sure the small percentage of things that gets broken is not going to break supermarkets with 100s of millions of turnovers. Let them take the loss. They will make it back for example in some Tescos by "accidental" labeling of items which say they are on offer but it the next item over. Or gouging of producers.

A small independent shop I would as they would be down the stock as well as the profit and could be a big loss to make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I’m confused - did s/he scan them and you were charged and left without them or did you shrug them off and not pay for them?

If it were me I’d apologise properly and expect not to pay for then or be charged for them assuming its just a yoghurt or something.

If it was a kid running amuck in a gift shop grabbing at things or being let jump around on a white sofa in a shop while his mother ignored him that’d be a different conversation.

I did not have it scanned. It was a self service till and I dropped it before I got to scan it.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    Why would you not pay? Whatever about in Dunnes - presumably in a small shop you'd pay for something you broke, OP?

I would have paid she had taken it away before I even got a chance to see it never mind say it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

They would probably refuse payment in case someone would sue them for the emotional trauma of dropping something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not in a supermarket like Dunnes, Tesco definitely not.

The amount of times over the years I've been over charged or bought products that were soured when opened and it's more hassle than it's worth to bring them back.

Feck them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what if you dropped a litre of jameson and smashed the bottle. you might say the supermarkets have loads of money but they would still get 45 euro for that bottle you just smashed.odd

the argument of oh they wont miss the odd damaged product doesnt seem right, thats like saying its ok to steal a few yogurts from them as they wont miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

If it was my fault or kids fault I'd pay. Once I knocked over a bottle of vodka sticking out on the floor. I alerted supervalu but I didn't offer to pay. Their off licence section is so cramped and it's not my fault some stock assistant put a bottle in the wrong place.

If I go to shop regularly I would so I'd be let backin the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭larchielads

At the start of lockdown last march/april i was comin out of tesco with a few bottles of beer. I put too many in the bag, the bag was small, it was my own bag. It broke walkin passed the queue of people waitin outside to get in. Beer everywhere, i was mortified.

The member of staff who was in charge of the queue said i could go back in and replace said bottles free of charge.

I declined as it was my own fault and thanked her for the offer.
    So i had to clean up all the broken glass walkin over and back to the bottle bank to clean it up with hands full of broken glass.

Although the girl offered the chance to replace the bottles she never asked for a member of staff to come help clean up all the broken glass outside the shop door where anyone coulda had an accident on and sued the store. She had a walkie talkie.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

No, it’s just a cost of business in self serve shops.

At the start of lockdown last march/april i was comin out of tesco with a few bottles of beer. I put too many in the bag, the bag was small, it was my own bag. It broke walkin passed the queue of people waitin outside to get in. Beer everywhere, i was mortified.

The member of staff who was in charge of the queue said i could go back in and replace said bottles free of charge.

I declined as it was my own fault and thanked her for the offer.
    So i had to clean up all the broken glass walkin over and back to the bottle bank to clean it up with hands full of broken glass.

Although the girl offered the chance to replace the bottles she never asked for a member of staff to come help clean up all the broken glass outside the shop door where anyone coulda had an accident on and sued the store. She had a walkie talkie.

I

That is surprising. very careless of them to let you clean it up, if you had cut yourself the shop would be in trouble. I would pay for the bottles but I wouldnt clean up the mess as I dont work there and its not my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alma Square Bungalow

worked in a small off license, and there was a period where people were dropping bottles frequently (carrying too many in the hand), manager got sick of it and sick of the dramatics customers who dropped them, put up a sign to use baskets/trolleys/ask for a box as damages will be paid by customer and it dramatically stopped the spillages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That is surprising. very careless of them to let you clean it up, if you had cut yourself the shop would be in trouble. I would pay for the bottles but I wouldnt clean up the mess as I dont work there and its not my job.

I dropped two bottles of wine in an Aldi car park last week and actually did cut my finger a little picking it up.

Told the cashier when I was going to buy two new bottles that there was some small pieces that I couldn't get with my hand. Never thought of sueing lol

Mimon wrote: »
    I dropped two bottles of wine in an Aldi car park last week and actually did cut my finger a little picking it up.

Told the cashier when I was going to buy two new bottles that there was some small pieces that I couldn't get with my hand. Never thought of sueing lol

might be different once you are out of the shop but in Ireland who knows, you could probably put in a claim if you cut yourself at home in your kitchen. :)

• Advertisement

Shops manager might go to his boss... “ hey a customer dropped and smashed a 55 euro bottle of spirits...but we insisted he paid for it “

Senior manager... “ yes, I got that email. That customer has been coming here for 10 years, buys a bottle of Redbreast whiskey which retails at 55 euros...likes his drop and goes through about 10-15;bottles a year. Has spent give or take 900 a year for 10 years with us....”

Guess where the fûck he WONT be buying his Redbreast from now ? Guess what he’ll be telling his friends, family about O’Dowds pub, who could have claimed on their insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd certainly offer

Why? If you look at any shop, they have stuff you can see price reduced that is going out of date. If it isn't sold then it's going to waste. Similarly, shops have to price-in shoplifting and such like.

They already account for all these issues in their profit margins, So your normal shopping is paying for these things.

So you want to be a sucker and pay them twice?

Why? If you look at any shop, they have stuff you can see price reduced that is going out of date. If it isn't sold then it's going to waste. Similarly, shops have to price-in shoplifting and such like.

They already account for all these issues in their profit margins, So your normal shopping is paying for these things.

By that logic, presumably it's okay to just steal the stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

If it was my fault or kids fault I'd pay. Once I knocked over a bottle of vodka sticking out on the floor. I alerted supervalu but I didn't offer to pay. Their off licence section is so cramped and it's not my fault some stock assistant put a bottle in the wrong place.

If I go to shop regularly I would so I'd be let backin the next time

Many of the supermarket off licences can have stock precariously balanced on the edges of shelves they are so full, especially wine, Im astonished I dont see more instances of wine and broken bottles being mopped/cleanup up, I always keep a good hold of my son walking through if I happen upon a place like that, I can see how a whole table/cart or shelf could be wiped out by getting a bottle knocked, even by an adult, seems like a big risk imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

By that logic, presumably it's okay to just steal the stuff?

How is that logic?
    You're suggesting that a store that would price at rock bottom to cover the basic costs, won't have anyone steal from it?

How is that logic?
    You're suggesting that a store that would price at rock bottom to cover the basic costs, won't have anyone steal from it?
    You say it's fine to break stuff since the shop has theft/breakages/expiry factored in to their prices. Which would suggest it's fine to steal stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eddiervp20

I worked in a management role in a large supermarket and would never dream of getting a customer to pay for something they dropped.

I did replace full bag of shopping that a lady dropped in carpark outside after she paid for it, you don't know a customers financial circumstances
    and if the shop can soak up the loss then you should for the purpose of having that customer return.

Good deeds are also told to friends and family which could encourage them to shop in that store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if its family run corner shop i'd pay, but the big corporates who make millions per annum..no

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Strumms wrote: »
    Shops manager might go to his boss... “ hey a customer dropped and smashed a 55 euro bottle of spirits...but we insisted he paid for it “

Senior manager... “ yes, I got that email. That customer has been coming here for 10 years, buys a bottle of Redbreast whiskey which retails at 55 euros...likes his drop and goes through about 10-15;bottles a year. Has spent give or take 900 a year for 10 years with us....”

Guess where the fûck he WONT be buying his Redbreast from now ? Guess what he’ll be telling his friends, family about O’Dowds pub, who could have claimed on their insurance!

The pub I work in has an offie and we take things on a case by case basis. Signs and rules are ignored when it's suitable.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They already account for all these issues in their profit margins
    , So your normal shopping is paying for these things.

I believe this is the logic shop lifters use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Actually - I’d forgotten. I’d paid for my few bits - bread, chrisps, eggs, milk, yoghurt, cheese at the CS till in Tesco and then dropped the eggs and yoghurt on the way out - entirely my own fault . I went back and showed the girl the mess and shamelessly asked if I could take them again foc as I hadn’t even made it out of the shop and she said yes! I’d only the tenner on me & really appreciated it! Top marks Tesco who really didn’t have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A quick look around to see if it was caught on CCTV and then out the door ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I would have no issue paying for something I broke

But………

I would be paying cost price and not the price it was being sold for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No, unless I was shamed into it.

I don't pay for the stuff I purposefully throw on the ground so I won't be paying for things I accidentally drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I'd certainly offer

Easy to say until you're in an Antique shop & accidently knock over a Ming Vase!

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

I wouldn't, especially not in some mega Corp like Tesco.

They have insurance I’m sure that cover damages, having worked in Dunnes in my late teens they had a shelf and a cage for items that were damaged in the floor or in the stockroom... stuff could get damaged due to unloading, movement from warehouse to shelves, or by a customer... all accidents... needs to be written off as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

These places have insurance. Why would I pay for something that's broken? Its not like Ive gone out of my way to break it in their shop.

Good luck to them turning my 15 stone ass upside down to get it out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Definitely not in a chain store like Dunnes, sure anything you eat or drop before getting to the till is gratis as far as I'm concerned. Would probably own up alright in a small shop.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I work in retail.
    Most people just apologise profusely and move on, that's what I'd do.
    We've had some people insist on paying for it.
    My favourite are the ones who give the money to the people cleaning it up, because that always seems to be.

A woman dropped a jar of peanut butter one day, fell on the lid and cracked around the rim but it hardly even made a mess.
    1 guy picked it up, the second guy started gather the glass and I went for the dustpan.
    She came back and gave us all a fiver!

Your honour, I didn't mean to rear-end the plaintiff's car, but he has insurance - why should I pay for it? Why should I bear the responsibility for my actions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Your honour, I didn't mean to rear-end the plaintiff's car, but he has insurance - why should I pay for it? Why should I bear the responsibility for my actions?

False equivalence.

You bore responsibility when you pay your insurance premium. He or she will claim from your insurance if you are at fault and visa versa.

Somebody dropping a jar of honey in a supermarket worth 3 euros, can’t be compared to a road traffic accident that will or could perhaps involve 90,000 euros worth of property.. that’s why the law is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder did chris o'dowd pay??

55 sec in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In a kind of antique junk shop type place a couple of years ago, I picked up a camera but there was a china cup and saucer on top of the strap, one of which fell and smashed as I did.
    I was morto but kinda annoyed, too as it really wasn't my fault.
    As it turned out, the woman there was really nice about it and even offered me a coffee.

Breakages are just a part of retail and not the same as theft. Theft has intent and is preventable, there will always be accidental breakages.

Do those insisting that people should pay for the consequences of their actions also think that retail staff should have to pay for any accidental breakages?

Definitely not in a chain store like Dunnes, sure anything you eat or drop before getting to the till is gratis as far as I'm concerned. Would probably own up alright in a small shop.

While you think you are "sticking it to the man" the truth is that other customers are paying for your actions.

There won't be one less G&T or bottle of fine wine drunk at the Tesco or Dunnes directors Christmas Party due to your "activism".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Easy to say until you're in an Antique shop & accidently knock over a Ming Vase!
    Lovely to handle
    Lovely to hold
    But if you break it
    Consider it sold.

Strumms wrote: »
    You bore responsibility when you pay your insurance premium. He or she will claim from your insurance if you are at fault and visa versa.

Somebody dropping a jar of honey in a supermarket worth 3 euros, can’t be compared to a road traffic accident that will or could perhaps involve 90,000 euros worth of property.. that’s why the law is different.
    That's why you wouldn't pay 90k for the jar of honey - just 3 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Larbre34 wrote: »
    These places have insurance. Why would I pay for something that's broken? Its not like Ive gone out of my way to break it in their shop.

Good luck to them turning my 15 stone ass upside down to get it out of me.

Shops won't have insurance cover for stock being broken by customers or shoplifted. Doesn't matter what size the shop is, people should act according to their moral compass and this thread shows we can be miles apart in that regard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement