Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V-Stroms, any good ?

Options
  • 03-02-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at an early model V-Strom 1000. Seems like a low mileage import from the UK. Anything to look out from them ? Good or bad about them ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm looking at an early model V-Strom 1000. Seems like a low mileage import from the UK. Anything to look out from them ? Good or bad about them ?

Thanks in advance.

If you buy that I'll hug you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Didn't Makikomi have one of those and absolutely loved it?

I've met a few lads over the years who had them and they had zero complaints that I knew of, each lad loved theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I'd a 2007 dl1000 for a few years a while back.

Really liked this bike.Couldnt say a bad word about it at all.
    Handled well for a big tall bike.Some people hated the look of them but I loved it.

I'm 5' 11" and could almost get both feet flat on the ground.

Had it over in Assen a few times and it just loves the motorways.Not a bit tiring on the long runs.

It's thirsty when you open up the throttle though.

Only thing I found was the windscreen takes a bit of maneuvering to get rid of wind noise.

The fella that bought it off me was worried about rust on the forks.Even brought a flashlamp get a closer look.There was a few specks but nothing much.

Overall I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

stratowide wrote: »
    I'd a 2007 dl1000 for a few years a while back.

Really liked this bike.Couldnt say a bad word about it at all.
    Handled well for a big tall bike.Some people hated the look of them but I loved it.

I'm 5' 11" and could almost get both feet flat on the ground.

Had it over in Assen a few times and it just loves the motorways.Not a bit tiring on the long runs.

It's thirsty when you open up the throttle though.

Only thing I found was the windscreen takes a bit of maneuvering to get rid of wind noise.

The fella that bought it off me was worried about rust on the forks.Even brought a flashlamp get a closer look.There was a few specks but nothing much.

Overall I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

Your a small 5,11 I'm that height and can flat floot no problems OEM seat and springs :P

The vstroms is just a really good all rounder, good on juice, very very reliable, has go when you need it. It's hard to fault them. Massive following in the States.

Join Vstrom.co.uk you might find an owner one up for sale and plenty of details about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

My brother has a 2003, cracking bike but he's 5' 9" in boots and struggles a bit with it, he was thinking of dropping down to the 650 so if you're not taller than him don't buy one lol
    Anyway great bike, unreal power, reliable and comfy, I'd have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭D3V!L

mamax wrote: »
    My brother has a 2003, cracking bike but he's 5' 9" in boots and struggles a bit with it, he was thinking of dropping down to the 650 so if you're not taller than him don't buy one lol
    Anyway great bike, unreal power, reliable and comfy, I'd have one.

Thanks for that. It's for my wife, she's 5,9 in bare feet so it shouldn't be a problem for her.
    She's on the fence about it at the moment so I think a visit to the shop will change her mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Not slating stroms at all as the 1000 has a seriously good motor but it's a bit dull compared to the previous bikes you and her have owned. Just get the SDA and be done with it lol.

zubair wrote: »
    Not slating stroms at all as the 1000 has a seriously good motor but it's a bit dull compared to the previous bikes you and her have owned. Just get the SDA and be done with it lol.

SDA ?

D3V!L wrote: »
    SDA ?

LOL, strada, stoopid phone.

I think dull is a bit strong, also beats fires and gearboxes exploding.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I think dull is a bit strong, also beats fires and gearboxes exploding.

I'm not saying the bike is dull on its own. I'm comparing it to devil's past fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

V/Strom 1000 is a great bike. I have one in my stable.
    I cannot fault them. I put mine through lots of abuse in all weathers.
    Great in traffic, Country roads, Bends.
    Don't forget they are a V Twin, so they don't like it too slow.

V/Strom 1000 is a great bike. I have one in my stable.
    I cannot fault them. I put mine through lots of abuse in all weathers.
    Great in traffic, Country roads, Bends.
    Don't forget they are a V Twin, so they don't like it too slow.

Is that still the same strom you had X years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

For about 10 years I thought they were called "V-Storm"

Cienciano wrote: »
    For about 10 years I thought they were called "V-Storm"

There was a story going around that maybe they were originally meant to called V-Storm due to a spelling mistake. However I think it may be wrong , Strom means power in a few languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I wouldn't overlook the 650. Capable, practical bike. Lower, lighter, more frugal than the DL1000.
    I've not ridden DL1000 but after plenty miles on a wee-strom I'd be happy to have one.
    Rear brake and suspension are a bit budget and the finish needs some cossetting but that's probably applies to both models.

It's easy and cheap to lower by changing the rear susp linkages and optionally dropping front forks in the yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Might as well mention the klv1000 also as they are the same bike.

One close enough to me for sale although I've never seen it about.

No way I'd be paying €4k+ for a 17 year old one with 52k miles on it.
    More like €2.5 +.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/klv1000-kawasaki-04-/27210754

There's a lad down the road with a v strom 1000 and a set of black widow cans on it.
    When it passes my house, I can only describe the sound as magnificent.

blade1 wrote: »
    Might as well mention the klv1000 also as they are the same bike.

One close enough to me for sale although I've never seen it about.

No way I'd be paying €4k+ for a 17 year old one with 52k miles on it.
    More like €2.5 +.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/klv1000-kawasaki-04-/27210754

There's a lad down the road with a v strom 1000 and a set of black widow cans on it.
    When it passes my house, I can only describe the sound as magnificent.

The black widows might as well be straight pipes, they are mega loud. Had them on my CBF1000, that bike is whisper quiet with stock cans, F me was it loud when I put on the BWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

The KLV are a cool machine. Did they only come in that Orange colour?

What kind of money are you talking to clear one now with the Vat and Import duty aswell as VRT?

I had a 2008 DL1000 and thought it was a fantastic punchy machine.

Just the right amount of torque to pull you nicely out of twistys along the west coast.

Mine had Akrapovic exhausts and it sounded fantastic with the baffles taken out!

Have you considered the Kawasaki Versys 1000 1st Gen?

That's 4 pot engine but also very reliable motor and I would imagine cheap at this stage also.

Screenshot-20210210-232243-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20210210-232325-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20210210-232453-Instagram.jpg

Here's the Versys 1000

Screenshot-20210210-234622-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20210210-234718-Instagram.jpg

We went to City Spares on the way home from work today to see the V-Strom, money in hand. The f*cking bike was sold yesterday :(

It was for my wife, a sensible bike she could ride to work and no one would bat a eye lid at. Well, things took a slight turn and she got a 1998 Suzuki SRAD 600 instead :rolleyes:

It's extremely mint and all original which is unheard of these days for such an old bike.

• Advertisement

Vstrom to SRAD bit of a difference there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Is that still the same strom you had X years ago?
    That one Blue/Black was burnt in my garage fire.
    The next one, Silver, had no beem me up scotty button to get me out of the way of an old women driving on my side towards me on my side of the road on a left bend on a country road. The car won.
    I still have another one still, a yellow one.

The next one, Silver, had no beem me up scotty button to get me out of the way of an old women driving on my side towards me on my side of the road on a left bend on a country road. The car won.

I hope yellow is luckier for you Mick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I hope you are keeping well :)

Advertisement