Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windfarms

• 03-02-2021 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Everyone is against them. As am I. They say everyone has a price but for me I hope it’s too high. I am trying to prevent one from going ahead but as much as local farmers love the land they are swayed by offers of 60k an acre over the lifetime of the windfarm. How does one convince local farmers that they are sentencing the local community to a slow death as no one will want to settle here.
    It really is turning neighbour against neighbour ,where in the end ,no one wins.

Locally it’s been called the death of the wave. Don’t know which side you are on so the friendly wave is gone.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Your post is a bit muddled.

You say everyone is against them yet that some people are for them and neighbour has turned against neighbour over them.

You should come to north wexford. We use them to keep the scallion eaters and the goat suckers out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Everyone is against them. As am I. They say everyone has a price but for me I hope it’s too high. I am trying to prevent one from going ahead but as much as local farmers love the land they are swayed by offers of 60k an acre over the lifetime of the windfarm. How does one convince local farmers that they are sentencing the local community to a slow death as no one will want to settle here.
    It really is turning neighbour against neighbour ,where in the end ,no one wins.
    Our local mountains and surrounding area are littered with them at least 200 on a five mile radius. There have been a few relocations and big payouts to people living near them. Amazon even own a few of them. They are said to be loss makers and won’t cover their cost over their lifetime so much for the environment, the blade have to be buried when they are decommissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Local area here,absolutely polluted with them.(the irony)now their here,i don't think there's much can be done.a small minority of land owners benefit,can't really see much benefits for the community as a whole from them.

Our roads though on local routes to them are in very bad repair. Undoubtedly there condition is a large part from the time of construction of the turbines. Whatever planning conditions were,it didn't include road upgrades afterwards.

Don't forget anyway that we all contribute to monies that flow in the direction of these so called renewable forms of electricity through our monthly pso levy debit on esb bills (which more than doubled without a word last autumn)

Maybe solar is the way forward,with little impact on the environment. No large earth disturbance or concrete & steel by comparison to a large turbine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Blight on the landscape. Should be all put out to sea. Big tourist industry and these are just destroying the landscape and communities that have to live beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cattleman123

Currently in the process of getting two up on my land. For anyone that's against them if ye were offered the chance of them would ye say no?
    Granted sonme are near houses but if their not I can't see the problem.

• Advertisement

Handy website to have.

https://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/

41% of power came from renewables in the past 24 hrs.
    42% from gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Currently in the process of getting two up on my land. For anyone that's against them if ye were offered the chance of them would ye say no?

Be no problem if they were getting paid.its all about the money.

Wind farm companies are objecting to locals applying for planning permission in areas with windfarms,due to preceived risks of payouts,years down the line

I wouldnt want to pull up drawbridge on next generation who might want to build/live in my area...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wind farm companies are objecting to locals applying for planning permission in areas with windfarms,due to preceived risks of payouts,years down the line

I wouldnt want to pull up drawbridge on next generation who might want to build/live in my area...

Could you perhaps post a link please, would be interested.

This is an extension to a previous windfarm. Plenty of houses built in the area since the first one went up. Are you telling me if you were offered 10k a turbine minimum you would refuse it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Handy website to have.

https://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/

41% of power came from renewables in the past 24 hrs.
    42% from gas.

And guess what? - We've just cut off the proverbial nose to spite our own face ...

Natural gas exploration. With immediate effect the Department no longer accepts new applications for exploration licences for natural gas or oil. From today, Ireland will #KeepItInTheGround

The greens fuk us over again...

https://twitter.com/mr__daly/status/1356702605007851524?s=20

This is an extension to a previous windfarm. Plenty of houses built in the area since the first one went up. Are you telling me if you were offered 10k a turbine minimum you would refuse it?

I would refuse it tbh, what good is 10K to me,if i cant talk to my neighbours.....its a v.divise issue everywhere they go up

Id prefer to make/earn it tbh.....turned down a v.good offer on a site just before xmas,what good is it to me,if i dont feel ive earnt it?

Water John wrote: »
    Could you perhaps post a link please, would be interested.

tbh its what lads are telling me is happening

and it would be aligning to my personal assestment of what a company,who flash the cash as windfarms do,would behave.....

.if/when the carrot deosnt work,they will resort to the stick

Must have been a very small turbine if the rent was €10K.

Fellas telling you is a reliable source, thanks.

Re: Gozunda.

They mean well. :)

There will be a void that'll have to be filled in years to come.

We are fairly high on the renewables though mostly already. Solar''ll be in next.
    Needs a few more be it hydrogen made from excess or methane generation or/and on farm, business generation.

I would refuse it tbh, what good is 10K to me,if i cant talk to my neighbours.....its a v.divise issue everywhere they go up

Id prefer to make/earn it tbh.....turned down a v.good offer on a site just before xmas,what good is it to me,if i dont feel ive earnt it?

There was no bad will when the first one went up, myself included when I persumed I had missed out. So I can see it being no different now hopefully.
    I couldn't possibly turn down 20k+ a year for the next 20 years. Your lucky that your in a position that can.

There was no bad will when the first one went up, myself included when I persumed I had missed out. So I can see it being no different now hopefully.
    I couldn't possibly turn down 20k+ a year for the next 20 years. Your lucky that your in a position that can.

Ah they were giving him a small turbine, of course he turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭pauly58

We had five put up near to us in West Cork, the closest is 800 mtrs from our house, the noise is something else, sounds like a train. they are looking to put another three up. the local auctioneer says they have probably taken twenty percent off the value of our house.

Wait until the PSO levy reaches new heights, the wind industry can't exist without massive subsidies.

The beautiful unspoilt countryside around here has been destroyed.

pauly58 wrote: »
    We had five put up near to us in West Cork, the closest is 800 mtrs from our house, the noise is something else, sounds like a train. they are looking to put another three up. the local auctioneer says they have probably taken twenty percent off the value of our house.

Wait until the PSO levy reaches new heights, the wind industry can't exist without massive subsidies.

The beautiful unspoilt countryside around here has been destroyed.

Iv'e one 400m from my house, no problem. Yes, we hear it outside. That train is very far away.

The grassland fields are a totally man made construct in this country. It is not unspoilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Years ago when I worked in germany they were going up like mushrooms same as here now and the german ppl hated them all youd see were lights all around same as here now .. last time I was in germany 2018 they are taking them down as they wont pay the farmers for them now so the farmers have made them take them down I must ask my friends about them again out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

West Waterford ,famous for its greenway is now becoming famous for destroying its local natural scenery with massive windfarms. You won’t see that though in any promotion material . Just bicycles and smiling folks.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Re: Gozunda.

They mean well. :)

There will be a void that'll have to be filled in years to come.

We are fairly high on the renewables though mostly already. Solar''ll be in next.
    Needs a few more be it hydrogen made from excess or methane generation or/and on farm, business generation.

Es6cu-URXYAEu-U8a.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Jizique

lab man wrote: »
    Years ago when I worked in germany they were going up like mushrooms same as here now and the german ppl hated them all youd see were lights all around same as here now .. last time I was in germany 2018 they are taking them down as they wont pay the farmers for them now so the farmers have made them take them down I must ask my friends about them again out there

End of life - the early one are reaching the end of their 20 years and there is no automatic right of replacement or reblading; have to apply for planning again

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

We'll get used to them, the same way we got used to coal fired power stations and big ugly pylons and telegraph poles, they'll be a part of the landscape for years to come and when something better comes along they'll be replaced like everything else, learn to live with them and stop fighting with the neighbours over bad ground fit for fcuk all else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Country people complaining about major roads, plyons and wind turbines, is the townie equivalent of complaining about the effects of building new housing estates.

There is always a background noise in a town and you never hear anyone complaining about it, surely people get used to the background noise of wind turbines?

People just don't like change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Country people complaining about major roads, plyons and wind turbines, is the townie equivalent of complaining about the effects of building new housing estates.

There is always a background noise in a town and you never hear anyone complaining about it, surely people get used to the background noise of wind turbines?

The local wildlife would disagree. Rural areas are ideal for their survival as there is no light pollution. Now they have to contend with noise pollution.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    The local wildlife would disagree. Rural areas are ideal for their survival as there is no light pollution. Now they have to contend with noise pollution.

Have you ever read an Environment Impact Assessment Reports of a Wind Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Have you ever read an Environment Impact Assessment Reports of a Wind Park?

Have friends who grew up around them in Holland. They said its grand.

No issue, environment is doing fine as are the people.

Maybe I'll trust some real life experience instead of a payed by one side report.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Water John wrote: »
    Iv'e one 400m from my house, no problem. Yes, we hear it outside. That train is very far away.

The grassland fields are a totally man made construct in this country. It is not unspoilt.

In fairness some windfarms are worse for noise than others. Even within larger wind farms themselves some of the turbines are quiet enough but others invasively noisy. I noticed that myself on a visit(for other business) to that big BNM windfarm at Mount Lucus late last year. The Turbines on the North Side were quiet enough - but the ones on the South side were very noisy to the extent that I couldn't wait to leave and some of the folks I was with developed headaches/dizzyness by the time we got back to our cars.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see how a "townie" would react if someone proposed putting up a 200ft Wind Turbine at the end of their road. The hit property values would take alone would have the whole neighbourhood outraged.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'd love to see how a "townie" would react if someone proposed putting up a 200ft Wind Turbine at the end of their road. The hit property values would take alone would have the whole neighbourhood outraged.

I'd love to see how a "country" person would react if a developer built a 13 storey apartment block next to your 2 story house.

Wind turbines belong in the country or at sea and apartment blocks belong in the town.

The simple fact is people will complain about change.

We'll get used to them, the same way we got used to coal fired power stations and big ugly pylons and telegraph poles, they'll be a part of the landscape for years to come and when something better comes along they'll be replaced like everything else, learn to live with them and stop fighting with the neighbours over bad ground fit for fcuk all else

Funnily enough it will take alot more of them to service wind farms than a conventional coal plant . Wind energy is a highly dispersed and inefficient power source is why our PSO levy keeps going up. Recently the Department of Energy has told planners that any new large Data centres mush have a back up NG plant to take the pressure off the grid. Frankly energy policies in this country are nuts and a large part of that blame lies with Eamon Ryan types who are clueless as to how a national grid actually works:rolleyes:

I'd love to see how a "country" person would react if a developer built a 13 storey apartment block next to your 2 story house.

Wind turbines belong in the country or at sea and apartment blocks belong in the town.

Its depends if that change makes any economic sense or is environmental sustainable. I don't consider the developer driven wind energy policies in this country meet either criteria. The Derrybrein disaster being a case in point

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/derrybrien-wind-farm-how-it-all-went-wrong/

Despite this ongoing debacle ABP have continued to allow windfarms be built in similar areas since :rolleyes:

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Our local mountains and surrounding area are littered with them at least 200 on a five mile radius. There have been a few relocations and big payouts to people living near them. Amazon even own a few of them. They are said to be loss makers and won’t cover their cost over their lifetime so much for the environment, the blade have to be buried when they are decommissioned.

I'd say they won't be crowing about that given what happened in Donegal just before Christmas

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/epa-considers-legal-action-over-damage-from-wind-farm-landslide-39912338.html

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/criminal-investigation-launched-into-north-west-landslide/

The majority of houses in the countryside are one story. And there would be little reason to build 'a 13 storey apartment block' as the demand for same would be unlikely in a low density rural area.

But do explain why you think wind turbines 'belong in the country"?

Electricity transmission losses over long distances means building wind turbines in remote locations often make little sense. Especially where the bulk of electricity produced provides for the energy needs of densely populated urban areas.

Absolutely no reason that the majority of wind turbines can't be built on brownfield sites or similar or as in the case of some countries - along the sides of major transport routes close to centres of population.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    The majority of houses in the countryside are one story. And there would be little reason to build 'a 13 storey apartment block' as the demand for same would be unlikely in a low density rural area.

But do explain why you think wind turbines 'belong in the country"?

Electricity transmission losses over long distances means building wind turbines in remote locations often make little sense. Especially where the bulk of electricity produced provides for the energy needs of densely populated urban areas.

Absolutely no reason that the majority of wind turbines can't be built on brownfield sites or similar or as in the case of some countries - along the sides of major transport routes close to centres of population.

I was suggesting that a wind turbine in the country is the equivalent of a tall apartment block in a town an urban area. - It represents change and something which some people won't like.

Wind turbines are built in urban areas where possible, Father Collin's Park in Dublin is one such example.

I didn't suggest remote locations. Greenfield sites on the urban fringes is an example of countryside and if the conditions allow a great place to build turbines in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

I don't like turbines..... what's the alternative....solar farms.
    Later....
    I don't like them solar farms either.... what's the alternative

I was suggesting that a wind turbine in the country is the equivalent of a tall apartment block in a town an urban area. - It represents change and something which some people won't like.

Wind turbines are built in urban areas where possible, Father Collin's Park in Dublin is one such example.

I didn't suggest remote locations. Greenfield sites on the urban fringes is an example of countryside and if the conditions allow a great place to build turbines in my view.

There's more reasons than just 'don't like". Many wind turbines like the ones in Donegal are built in sensitive ecological areas including on upland blanket bog and similar. Neither do they really make sense in such remote areas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-54994865

Why not urban brownfield sites and alongside majot transport routes which often have areas of vacant land? It makes sense from an energy efficiency pov and also helps ensure that greenfield sites are not unnecessarily developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

80sDiesel wrote:
    Locally it’s been called the death of the wave. Don’t know which side you are on so the friendly wave is gone.

Stick them out at sea, and plough on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The greens view everything from the privilege of generally being a group than can afford any changes. Gas how they show Scandinavia as an example to follow in some cases when it's the oil industry that pays for it all.
    Wind turbines do cause division, because some may not be getting anything financially or some may lose property value while others it be ge an opportunity to to improve their lot, which they can't be blamed for doing as who knows what way farming may go in the next few years.
    One thing that is certain is that the whole lot of us are gonna be paying a lot more for power due to the renewable aspect of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We are surrounded by them on 3 sides. Two are 1.2km to the west and the closed one to the east is 800m.

There are super sized ones due

You will hear them outside on a calm day when you hear the generator spinning. But on a windy day, the wind is louder.

There doesn’t seem to be any effect on the wildlife on our farm. The same birds and animals are there. In fact we now have barn owls that we never had before.

Biggest problem is it puts money into a neighbours problem who buys up land everywhere and doesn’t fence it.

During the building phase, the traffic is unreal on our roads and the roads can’t take the pressure. Potholes everywhere.

Another problem is there is always promises of finance to the locality but I have seen none come to our community yet. If we have to endure them, our schools and clubs should benefit some bit. but the money seems to sponsor teams in Ennis etc.

I prefer turbines to the spruce trees that surround us.

Mooooo wrote: »
    The greens view everything from the privilege of generally being a group than can afford any changes. Gas how they show Scandinavia as an example to follow in some cases when it's the oil industry that pays for it all.
    Wind turbines do cause division, because some may not be getting anything financially or some may lose property value while others it be ge an opportunity to to improve their lot, which they can't be blamed for doing as who knows what way farming may go in the next few years.
    One thing that is certain is that the whole lot of us are gonna be paying a lot more for power due to the renewable aspect of it

how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭pauly58

Because of the increase in the PSO levy, 140% last year.

pauly58 wrote: »
    Because of the increase in the PSO levy, 140% last year.

if we increased renewable sources, and decreased fossil fuel sources, would taxes net out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I think the main problems with wind turbines is they really only benefit the select few.
    Environment policies are a joke, Wind Turbines and Turf cutting side by side. Both dirty and destructive.
    Worse is still to come in the form of Micro turbines and small scale solar.

I think the main problems with wind turbines is they really only benefit the select few.
    Environment policies are a joke, Wind Turbines and Turf cutting side by side. Both dirty and destructive.
    Worse is still to come in the form of Micro turbines and small scale solar.

so what should we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Ban Turf cutting, and while your at it ban one off housing.
    Develop the offshore Wind energy first, and if we can't harvest enough from that then look into onshore wind farms.

Develop the offshore Wind energy first, and if we can't harvest enough from that then look into onshore wind farms.

agree with most of that, particular off shore, its really the only sensible thing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Offshore is 5 times the cost.wont take off unless costs come down big time

richie123 wrote: »
    Offshore is 5 times the cost.wont take off unless costs come down big time

so on shore, and just put up with all the protesting, and lack of progress? borrow the money folks, and crack on with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement