Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporate health plan and waiting period

• 03-02-2021 10:51pm

Typically, or always?, there is a 26 week waiting period before you can avail of the extra benefits available when you move to a more expensive policy.

Is that the same if you get a new employer and move to their fully paid, ie benefit in kind, corporate health insurance plan?

The waiting period is obviously to prevent people upgrading their plan solely to cover an expense that they have already realised. But in the case of such a corporate plan, you are not going to take a job just to get cover against a realised illness.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Typically, or always?, there is a 26 week waiting period before you can avail of the extra benefits available when you move to a more expensive policy.

All of the insurers apply a two year waiting period for upgraded cover for inpatient procedures.

It doesn't matter who's paying.

https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/switchingupgrade-waiting-periods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

coylemj wrote: »
    All of the insurers apply a two year waiting period for upgraded cover for inpatient procedures.

It doesn't matter who's paying.

https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/switchingupgrade-waiting-periods

I've had waiting periods waived when moving to a new employer and better insurance plan

OEP wrote: »
    I've had waiting periods waived when moving to a new employer and better insurance plan

Oh, interesting. It's for a potential maternity, were meant to be covered in our existing policy but it was mis-sold which was recognised by the insurer. I'm thinking a new insurer wouldn't care much about that, but at least a waiver is not completely unprecedented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

Oh, interesting. It's for a potential maternity, were meant to be covered in our existing policy but it was mis-sold which was recognised by the insurer. I'm thinking a new insurer wouldn't care much about that, but at least a waiver is not completely unprecedented

Can you ring them and ask?

OEP wrote: »
    Can you ring them and ask?

If I get the job I will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I got first ever health insurance through laya last year when the company I work for was taken over by an American company. waiting periods were waived and pre existing conditions covered.

All responses really useful, thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Company plans are treated differently when it comes to waiting periods, assuming the job will be with a large company there's every chance all waiting periods will be waived from their negotiations when signing up to the plan. It'll be a question for the company

Maternity has a 12 month waiting period.

With company schemes it is entirely possible that waiting periods are waived. Very common for large companies.

Advertisement