Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three 5G limited to 25mbs on PAYG phones

• 03-02-2021 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

I just ordered a Three PAYG SIM with 5G(28day) booster to test in a new 5G phone

In the contract emailed out they seem to infer they will limit the speeds to 25mbs for phones and 100mbs for their 5g routers?

541965.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Those are contractual max speeds. They always set these low so that it's difficult to make a complaint.

You will get faster but they don't guarantee faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

alan4cult wrote: »
    Those are contractual max speeds. They always set these low so that it's difficult to make a complaint.

You will get faster but they don't guarantee faster.

I thought that but the MINIMUM speed on the 5G routers is 25mbs which makes me think they may throttle the phones and must have some way to detect if it one of their routers to allow for better performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Just stick it into an LTE router. If you hotspot they will know as most networks have now disabled dun APN tethering. Vodafone have, not sure about Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The 5g is too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork981

I’m on PAYG and regularly get over 400mb on Three 5G. Seem to have good blanket outdoor coverage around Cork City and outskirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 darraghsmyth

Cork981 wrote: »
    I’m on PAYG and regularly get over 400mb on Three 5G. Seem to have good blanket outdoor coverage around Cork City and outskirts.

Do you know if you tether a laptop to your phone, can you get similar speeds on your laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork981

Do you know if you tether a laptop to your phone, can you get similar speeds on your laptop?

I never checked, but had no problem tethering when I did.
    Unfortunately I moved to Eir 5G as it’s much cheaper but speed are horrendous, getting 5mb Max on 5G in areas I was getting more than 400mb with Three.

I’ll contact support tomorrow but will likely be making a move back to Three shortly.

Advertisement