Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card issuers

Options
  • 04-02-2021 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Does anyone know where someone living on disability can get a credit card ? I only want one so that I can occasionally rent a car. All car rental companies insist on a CREDIT CARD, debit card is no good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Aren't the prepaid credit cards also accepted by car hire companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sbkenn

Snotty wrote: »
    Aren't the prepaid credit cards also accepted by car hire companies?
    Prepaid aren't credit cards, they are debit cards with a set amount lodged to them, kinda like Leap cards ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I've had this issue too with hotels wanting big deposits.

Most card issuers have a minimum income requirement of 16,000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there any way you can apply for a student credit card? ~800 limit and usually no income requirements except you may be asked to show you're doing some form of course - it doesn't have to be a full time qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

L1011 wrote:
    Is there any way you can apply for a student credit card? ~800 limit and usually no income requirements except you may be asked to show you're doing some form of course - it doesn't have to be a full time qualification.

Don't most student credit cards require full time + having a student current account?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    At age 62 and living on disability, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You would need a reasonable limit on the cc as the hire companies put a block of x on it if you don't take out their insurance.
    You may run into problems if you are using the card and with the block, it hits the card limit.
    Happened to me years ago in the USA, car hire company had put a €5k block on my card and I couldn't understand why the card was refused in a restaurant.
    Rang the credit card company to check and after they told me about the car hire block, I had to get them to increase the limit.
    I got a 2nd credit card soon after to avoid that happening again.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You would need a reasonable limit on the cc as the hire companies put a block of x on it if you don't take out their insurance.
    You may run into problems if you are using the card and with the block, it hits the card limit.
    Happened to me years ago in the USA, car hire company had put a €5k block on my card and I couldn't understand why the card was refused in a restaurant.
    Rang the credit card company to check and after they told me about the car hire block, I had to get them to increase the limit.
    I got a 2nd credit card soon after to avoid that happening again.
    The infuriating thing is that I could easily have a balance in excess of the "excess" on the rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

Hi Op

Your experience seems to contradict the experiences of people in the motoring forum who have managed to hire a car using a debit card. Are you trying to hire a car in Ireland? It's possible they could come to some arrangement if you left a security deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

cml387 wrote: »
    Hi Op

Your experience seems to contradict the experiences of people in the motoring forum who have managed to hire a car using a debit card. Are you trying to hire a car in Ireland? It's possible they could come to some arrangement if you left a security deposit.

I’ve hired a car twice in the US with a debit card with Alamo/National. No hold was placed on the card (although we did buy a tank of gas from them both times for easiness’s sake)

Prepaid rate (prepaid by revolut).

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Hi Op

I was able to book using debit card, but when I went to collect the car (at Dublin airport), they declined. I was told that is was a stipulation by their insurers. Only Six-T was willing to rent.

Advertisement