Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle vs Citywest vs Saggart

Options
  • 04-02-2021 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Currently choosing between new builds in Newcastle / Citywest / Saggart

Are these areas safe? Especially for someone with a small kid. Since I moved back to Dublin, I have been living in Dublin, thus not aware of this area.

Also is it well connected to city centre since I work close to St Stephen Green? I do drive, but I presume after Covid, driving to city centre will be hell again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I can't speak on safety, but Newcastle would be surrounded by Greenogue Business Estate which would have very built up traffic at rush hour, it would be sort of like living near Ballymount if you're familiar. It's a nice little town but very low on amenities. You'd have a bit of a drive to Lucan or Celbridge to do a big shop for the week.

That's just my opinion and the feel I got when I drove threw it a few weeks ago to eyeball a new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nurik922 wrote: »
    Currently choosing between new builds in Newcastle / Citywest / Saggart

Are these areas safe? Especially for someone with a small kid. Since I moved back to Dublin, I have been living in Dublin, thus not aware of this area.

Also is it well connected to city centre since I work close to St Stephen Green? I do drive, but I presume after Covid, driving to city centre will be hell again.

newcastle has the nightlink going there. saggart has the nice village feel and luas isnt too far away... driving in, if traffic hell is back again from there would be a serious pain in my opinion. I assume luas citywest to SSG is about 40 mins...

Luas Citywest doesn't go direct to St Stephens Green, its on the red line. You'd have to change to the green line in town.

They've flung up so many houses and apartments in citywest now that you'd be lucky to get on a Luas anywhere further down the line. My brother lives a few stops down and works in SSG - he uses the bus. I can ask him how long the commute is.

I live closeby too and commuted by car into town - is a nightmare of a commute in normal traffic.

Can't speak for Newcastle or Saggart but have a work colleague who lives in Browns Barn who has similar problems with commuting into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Traffic is the biggest problem from all of them.
    Depending on where you have to go work.

N7 can be bumper to bumper once normal traffic comes back.
    If there's a crash its a total nightmare.
    It gets worse the closer you get to the m50/city.

Most roads specially around saggart and citywest are constant traffic jams during rush hour. Doesn't help with the new junction the put in at city west shopping centre.

Security wise in regards to citywest it depends what side your house is on. But either way your facing a **** hole that has gangs of youths roaming around. Shopping centre attracts them

They won't hurt you but they are a nuisance and cause disruption. I know this because I live in the area.

Newcastle seems quiet to me so I couldn't tell you about that

Saggart as well is nice just traffic

Your main problem would be commuting to work. As another poster highlighted, they just kept building houses and didn't think ahead about traffic problems. The bumper to bumper commute is only going to get worse as more and more people are priced out of Dublin.

If I was to pick between the 3 I'd go Newcastle, saggart then citywest.
    In fact I wouldn't even consider citywest the houses don't look great and the area is getting worse anti social wise and traffic is just a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭scuba8

If you work in Stephen’s Green area it is worth noting the Newcastle bus (68) goes through St Circular rd and goes down Camden St/Angier St with a stop at Whitefriar St Church across from York st.

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Most roads specially around saggart and citywest are constant traffic jams during rush hour. Doesn't help with the new junction the put in at city west shopping centre.

Lord I hate that junction. Why they ever replaced the roundabout that was there originally with this baffles me.

At least with the roundabout, traffic had some chance of flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonkey_Donker

Lord I hate that junction. Why they ever replaced the roundabout that was there originally with this baffles me.

At least with the roundabout, traffic had some chance of flowing.

It is a nightmare, but done for pedestrians I believe as the roundabout was deemed too dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

It is a nightmare, but done for pedestrians I believe as the roundabout was deemed too dangerous!!

Yeah, especially with the school opening just down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Now they have narrowed the road from saggart to citywest by adding bollards and raised area to protect the cycle lane ,
    Add another several hundred apartments and two more schools going in the same area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

I live in Rathcoole and would largely agree with what's said above.

Citywest no being honest you're buying a house in a business park. Saggart nice little village access to luas but some traffic problems at rush hour. Newcastle smaller village with an older population quieter but as someone mentioned few amenities and some traffic problems with greenogue and celbridge residents using it to get to the N7/ citywest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Citywest is becoming a ghetto really quickly, saggart is better but if those 3 id pick newcastle as its a bit smaller and has less anti social behaviour than the other 2

ec18 wrote: »
    I live in Rathcoole and would largely agree with what's said above.

Citywest no being honest you're buying a house in a business park. Saggart nice little village access to luas but some traffic problems at rush hour. Newcastle smaller village with an older population quieter but as someone mentioned few amenities and some traffic problems with greenogue and celbridge residents using it to get to the N7/ citywest

And if there is traffic issues on the n7 everyone tends to come from rathcoole via saggart and citywest to avoid it , leading to more tailbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭v0ldeMort

pre-covid I go to work via newcastle (from Kildare) never had any problems getting through the village or to the N7, N7 different matter of course but all your options need to go via the M7. That said, with wfh being the norm post covid it may not be too big of an issue. Newcastle is on the up I think new shops popping up I heard a supervalu is going in soon. Citywest, no, lived there until 2008 and was glad I sold up and got out, its now just an extension of Tallaght. Citywest is also merging into Saggart last time I was up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Becoming a ghetto. OTT in the extreme.

Anyway, it probably would be 3rd on the list as it has no village. At the current rate of building it’ll probably merge with Saggart at some stage.

The LUAS is a huge plus for CW if you work in CC. Buses can take an age when roads are full from this far out.

Newcastle seems nice, but will probably expand big time in the future like CW did. Something to consider.

KungPao wrote: »

Newcastle seems nice, but will probably expand big time in the future like CW did. Something to consider.

yes, but Citywest was built beside jobstown/fettercairn/kilinarden.

No comparison, Newcastle is a village in itself, unless it merges with Lucan/Celbridge/Adamstown which will take a fair bit of building :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

v0ldeMort wrote: »

No comparison, Newcastle is a village in itself, unless it merges with Lucan/Celbridge/Adamstown which will take a fair bit of building :pac:

Kind of to hop onto that one, if i can :confused:

We looking at:
    Somerton estate - Lucan
    Newpark - Adamstown
    Graydon - Newcastle

ANY pointers about either one would be welcomed :)

absolutely confused which one to go with as not familiar with the area at all :eek:
    I work in Sandyford, for now. Him in IFSC.

v0ldeMort wrote: »

Aye. The blessington road end has a nice buffer at least with De Selby, and some other private estate. But CW village, lovely houses but are on the front line so to speak.

Milena009 wrote: »
    Kind of to hop onto that one, if i can :confused:

We looking at:
    Somerton estate - Lucan
    Newpark - Adamstown
    Graydon - Newcastle

ANY pointers about either one would be welcomed :)

absolutely confused which one to go with as not familiar with the area at all :eek:
    I work in Sandyford, for now. Him in IFSC.

with those two working locations , if you both drive - Newcastle. if your partner going to the IFSC is taking the bus - somerton.

Adamstown traffic in the mornings and evenings is ball bracingly dire and the train station goes to Heuston , not Connolly.

Newcastle is the best for N7/Sandyford access but its public transport wouldn't be a patch on Lucan for getting to the IFSC.

There is hazelhatch train station which is a less than 10 min drive from newcastle for commuters to the IFSC.

Aye. The blessington road end has a nice buffer at least with De Selby, and some other private estate. But CW village, lovely houses but are on the front line so to speak.

yes I lived on the Blessington road end but when they opened the road from jobstown through deselby it was a free for all for the joyriders - used to go round the deselby roundabout for hours of a saturday night :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Citywest is a total kip. Its a made up name its really Tallaght.

Newcastle has nothing in it, its going to be a high density housing jungle within 10 years. No public transport and not even a supermarket. It might look the best now but all the housing will be new there meaning in time, social housing will make up a big proportion of that village.

Saggart is the best of them once its well away from Citywest.

Of course it's a made up name like everywhere else that used to be empty fields ,
    And with the amount of developments going on or due to start from citywest golf course , garters lane, cold water
    There will be little difference from citywest as far as rathcoole

Newcastle has nothing in it, its going to be a high density housing jungle within 10 years. No public transport and not even a supermarket. It might look the best now but all the housing will be new there meaning in time, social housing will make up a big proportion of that village.

A kip? Why? I know the area fairly well and it seems like a benign place full of private housing estates, like most of Dublin tbh. Are you confusing it with some of the notorious neighbouring areas?

A kip? Why? I know the area fairly well and it seems like a benign place full of private housing estates, like most of Dublin tbh. Are you confusing it with some of the notorious neighbouring areas?

The citywest shopping centre has seen incidents like a drug dealer ploughing a car into another dealer over a dispute, a man show up with a machine gun and theres loads of videos of young lads thumping the head off each other, the areas an absolute kip

The citywest shopping centre has seen incidents like a drug dealer ploughing a car into another dealer over a dispute, a man show up with a machine gun and theres loads of videos of young lads thumping the head off each other, the areas an absolute kip

If head the balls from Ballyogan go on a mad one in Sandyford, I know where the problem lies. The scum you mention are most likely from you know where, not residents of CW. The shopping centre’s not exactly a quaint retreat, but unfair to write off a place full of private housing estates because of the boys from neighbouring areas acting the bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

when bus connects starts Newcastle will finally have proper public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭scuba8

SuperValu have already received planning permission to build on Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

The man with a machine gun:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/armed-man-who-went-on-cocaine-fuelled-driving-rampage-jailed-for-nine-years-1.3524247

This was a rampage all over Tallaght, Clondalkin, before finally Citywest - it isn't like this is a daily occurance, and a bit of an extreme situation.

If head the balls from Ballyogan go on a mad one in Sandyford, I know where the problem lies. The scum you mention are most likely from you know where, not residents of CW. The shopping centre’s not exactly a quaint retreat, but unfair to write off a place full of private housing estates because of the boys from neighbouring areas acting the bollocks.

What makes you so sure they're are not residents of CW?

I have to laugh everytime anything ****ty happens in Citywest, the blame is automatically shifted onto "troublemakers coming from other areas" to preserve some kind of illusion that there is no anti-social element in CW.

Fettercairn and Jobstown are both a good 20/30 minute walk from CW Shopping Centre, Killinarden is even further and there is Brookview, Ard Mhor, MacUilliam, DeSelby and The Belfry estates in between, yet of course the trouble makers must be coming from "notorious neighbouring areas!"

• Advertisement

What makes you so sure they're are not residents of CW?

I have to laugh everytime anything ****ty happens in Citywest, the blame is automatically shifted onto "troublemakers coming from other areas" to preserve some kind of illusion that there is no anti-social element in CW.

Fettercairn and Jobstown are both a good 20/30 minute walk from CW Shopping Centre, Killinarden is even further and there is Brookview, Ard Mhor, MacUilliam, DeSelby and The Belfry estates in between, yet of course the trouble makers must be coming from "notorious neighbouring areas!"

fettercairn/fortunestown road is a couple of hundred metres from citywest shopping centres! The bulldozed Lidl is a just a 2/3 min walk from citywest! Belfry estate is also Citywest btw.

Advertisement