Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

time to install fibre broadband

• 04-02-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if it's been asked multiple times

moving to a new house, there is fibre broadband available in the estate, but was not in the house I am moving to

How long would it take to get installed, and are Eir really as bad as everyone is making out , or who would you recommend. up to 100mb speeds available. I am not exactly sure when I will be moving , but would like to have the broadband ready for when I do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

2smiggy wrote: »

moving to a new house, there is fibre broadband available in the estate, but was not in the house I am moving to

How long would it take to get installed, and are Eir really as bad as everyone is making out , or who would you recommend. up to 100mb speeds available. I am not exactly sure when I will be moving , but would like to have the broadband ready for when I do

Your best bet is to actually call EIR sales team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

2smiggy wrote: »

When you say that the house didn't have a fibre broadband connection - you probably mean that the previous occupants didn't take up service? The cable is still likely in the ground and probably just needs to be re-activated? This usually takes around a week if everything is still in place including the wall plate inside the house.

If you contact Eir, they will tell you. The speeds you are quoting indicate that you are in a Fibre-to-the-Cabinet area rather than a Fibre-to-the-Home area. Eir are in the process of upgrading their FTTC network to FTTH, but this is a multi-year programme that they are doing. 100Mbps is perfectly adequate for most users. The actual speed will depend on how far you are from the nearest cabinet - but your neighbours performance is usually a good guide to what you can get. To be honest, there is far too much focus on headline speed. There are other factors that don't get talked about, which are much more important to service - such as latency, congestion and whether the ISP has local caching servers for Netflix/Google etc, and susceptibility to line faults.

The other ISPs just re-sell Eir's FTTC product over the same lines, although individual ISP performance can vary if they have congestion at the hubs where they peer to the Internet. Personally, I have never seen congestion on Eir's fibre network - right through the lockdowns. Since I never had any problems with Eir, I never had to deal with Customer Service other than ringing up once a year to re-negotiate my contract. I have always found them very helpful with this, although I had to wait a while to get answered in 2020, due to Covid. Most other interactions can be done online - but you need to make a phone call to renegotiate your contract.

Advertisement