Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Grazie Kolido.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thank you Kolido!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    Delighted you went this route LeVar, makes this more fun for me at least. I'd rather this than Stars Wars.

I went a little more mainstream in one or two of the decades, probably should've committed to full B-Movie... I'll know for next time... :D

If the category was Worst Movie Ever, I might've gone for Star Wars... Don't actually think it's the worst ever, but I'm not a fan... ;)

I forgot about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I forgot about this!

c2a7374892fe1b21e9200c2bb4a93297.gif

• Advertisement

c2a7374892fe1b21e9200c2bb4a93297.gif

Ah sorry!! 'mere I give you hug.

I just had a read. Some very interesting picks. The Duel sounds familiar. Was there a sort of remake or something?
    The Godfather is one of my favourite films of all time. James Caan is indeed one of the best things about it and like you said the complexity of Al Pacino's Michael Corleone. I like stories that look at how the choices we make can take us down dark paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ah sorry!! 'mere I give you hug.

I just had a read. Some very interesting picks. The Duel sounds familiar. Was there a sort of remake or something?
    The Godfather is one of my favourite films of all time. James Caan is indeed one of the best things about it and like you said the complexity of Al Pacino's Michael Corleone. I like stories that look at how the choices we make can take us down dark paths.
    No remake as far as I know but Jeepers Creepers was influenced by it, to a lesser extent The Hitcher and Joyride as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I can only see James Caan now as daddy Elf :p

No remake as far as I know but Jeepers Creepers was influenced by it, to a lesser extent The Hitcher and Joyride as well.

Aha! I've seen both Jeepers and the 2007 version of The Hitcher.

Aha! I've seen both Jeepers and the 2007 version of The Hitcher.
    Do yourself a favour and watch the original Hitcher from the 80s. It is one of the best cat-and-mouse thrillers ever made.

• Advertisement

Should have next round reveal up early next week.

Just an update on the scoring, as well as the already announced bonus points for the best overall movie of the contest, I'm adding another bonus.

Surprise package bonus. For each round, one movie that surprised me the most will get a 2 points bonus. This could be a movie that I've never heard of or seen before or indeed a movie that I re-watched and was much better than I remembered.

Should have next round reveal up early next week.

Just an update on the scoring, as well as the already announced bonus points for the best overall movie of the contest, I'm adding another bonus.

Surprise package bonus. For each round, one movie that surprised me the most will get a 2 points bonus. This could be a movie that I've never heard of or seen before or indeed a movie that I re-watched and was much better than I remembered.
    Yipee! There was some complaint in another film comp about people only nominating blockbusters so I choose ones for this that would be less well known :)

Yipee! There was some complaint in another film comp about people only nominating blockbusters so I choose ones for this that would be less well known :)

Yeah I probably should have announced this at the beginning but it was just something I thought of recently. I have been mainly pleasantly surprised with the movies I've watched so far so wanted to add it in.

Looking like Thursday for my next round reveal. Just starting my last 80s movie now but it might take 2 nights to watch and with the footy on Wednesday.

Keep ye posted on any change

See you tonight around 8 or after Purpies reveal

Standings from round 1

Player|70s
    Sawduck |11
    ShaneU |10
    Diamonds |9
    Necro |8
    SineadSpears |7
    Purgative |6
    Liz |5
    Aris |4
    Rebe |3
    The Purple Tin |2
    LeVar |1

Thanks Purple, are we ready?

Welcome to the 80s movie reveal

The ratings here were slightly lower than the previous round which surprised me a bit as this is probably my favorite movie decade. A few of you went a bit left field here which was great. Separating a lot of these movies was difficult as quite a few got the same rating from me but there was a clear stand out winner and loser. Off the 11 movies picked, only 1 I had not heard of before but a staggering 6 I had not seen before. My find of the contest so far was in this round also. So, best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

giphy.gif

ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Another last place for me here I'm sure...

giphy.gif

Movie that would have done well in this round

The Lost Boys

Lost_boys.jpg

Dirty Dancing

Dirty_Dancing.jpg

Big Trouble in Little China

Big_Trouble_in_Little_China_Film_Poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Went with a cult classic that includes one of my favourite movie scenes for this round

In 6th place with 6 points is -
    Rebe

Night Of The Creeps 1986
    Dir: Fred Dekker

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 6.8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091630/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0/

Nightofthecreepsposter.jpg

Synopsis [Courtesy of IMDB]

Alien brain parasites, entering humans through the mouth, turn their host into a killing zombie. Some teenagers start to fight against them.

Review

Again, another movie I had heard of but knew little about. 80s had so many comedy horror, probably difficult to stand out. I did really enjoy this one. Great humour, great 80s feel, great soundtrack. I do think the frat/sobriety stuff in movies is very gringe. Are they really that annoying over there with these institutes? The production and acting are a bit ropey, but I can look beyond that. A b-movie of sorts which I wasn’t aware of. Tom Atkins is always a decent watch, enjoyable here also. Overall, a good 80s horror comedy with ticks all the boxes, good pick. Oh and before I end this review, It’s Miller time! I got a real chuckle with the scene.

Trivia

Most of the main characters (Romero, Carpenter, Raimi, Hooper, Cronenberg, Cameron) are named after horror movie makers

In 7th place with 5 points is -
    SineadSpears

Trading Places 1983
    Dir: John Landis

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 7.5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086465/

Trading_Places.jpg

A snobbish investor and a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as part of a bet by two callous millionaires.

Review

I have seen this movie many times, probably mostly around Christmas. I always thought of it as a decent show and while I think it still is, you have to scrutinise it more when there are points at stake. Dan Akryod and Eddie Murphy made arguably their best shows in the 80s, so one would imagine this one to be up there with the best. I thought this movie starts off pretty good but dips a lot and even the ending is nothing much. Aykroyd as the snobbish executive is great which is at the beginning of the movie, I didn’t care much for him when he changed to the homeless guy. Eddie on the other hand keeps up his performance throughout. That’s not a dig at Aykroyd's acting but rather the movie script. My favourite character in the movie was the butler, his politeness and demeanor was delightful to watch. The two Duke brothers I didn’t care much for. Also, the two thugs Eddie meets in jail were quite funny, YEAH! I probably should note that the character names here are quite amusing, I’m not sure why, maybe it’s just me. Louis Winthorpe, Billy Ray Valentine, Ophelia for example. As I said, the movie starts off very good but at the end, I was just glad it was finished. The plot was fine, nothing to get excited about. The casting for this movie, if one cares to read up on, is more exciting. I also didn’t care much for the use of racial language here, maybe not noticeable so much in the early 8s but it is now. Maybe the fact that this is highly regarded in the Christmas movie genre has garnered it in higher esteem than I think it should be. A decent watch but disappointing overall.

Trivia

Writers Timothy Harris and Herschel Weingrod developed the idea as a project to star Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder but they were unable to participate.

Good pick. Trading Places is one of my favourite comedies :)

In 5th place with 7 points is -
    Diamonds

The Burbs 1989
    Dir: Joe Dante

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 6.9

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096734/

220px-Burbsposter.jpg

An overstressed suburbanite and his neighbors are convinced that the new family on the block are part of a murderous Satanic cult.

Review

Saw this movie many times before. Wouldn’t be a big fan of Tom Hanks' early career, though this is probably my favourite 80s movie from him. Actually I do recall the Bachelor Party being pretty good. Can’t argue here though, this movie has a great support cast. Cory Feldman in particular is always a good watch. I love the setting here, the suburban neighbourhood. The first half of the movie was more enjoyable than the second half for me. As with a lot of these 80s comedies, they tend to get messy. Not that I didn’t enjoy it overall, I just preferred the flow of the beginning of the movie, introducing the characters and what have you. I think the movie focused too much on the protagonist and less so on the villains, but I guess when you hire Tom Hanks (a pretty big star at this stage) you want to give him as much screen time as possible. My favourite scene was when they break into the villains' home and Feldman's character throws a porch party with all his mates. I can’t think of too many negatives, it has all the charms of an 80s black comedy. I have rated this a bit lower than I would have previous, just wasn’t as good as I remembered. A decent pick for sure but just not up there with some of the others.

Trivia

Filmed entirely at Universal Studios

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ah I love Trading Places :P

The kiddos do too. Trading places, Coming to America & Ghost are ones we like to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Haven't seen The Burbs in ages, can't even remember what it's all about, good movie though

In 8th place with 4 points is -
    Necro

The Neverending Story 1984
    Dir: Wolfgang Petersen

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6 IMDB Rating: 7.4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088323/

Neverendingstoryposter.jpg

A troubled boy dives into a wondrous fantasy world through the pages of a mysterious book

Review

This is a difficult movie to rate. I have obviously heard of this moving before, but strangely I had never watched it. I think it is one of those movies that carries a high nostalgic factor, and as I’m not familiar with this, that factor is not there for me. Funny enough, the first time I heard of this was from a video game we had back in the day for the Sinclair Spectrum, yes, I'm that old! At the time, it was just a game to me. I didn’t know it was from a movie though as the years went on, that clicked into place. I was really drawn to the cassette cover, a different one than that above. Get a move on Kol, you’re raving on about nonsense. Right, the movie. Well in a nutshell, it was decent but I was expecting more. I read that this was the most expensive movie produced outside of the US and Russia at the time. I thought it looked very dated, the characters didn’t look all that well done in my opinion. So what's the story like? Actually pretty good. I did really like the place names and character names. I am familiar with the theme song and the music in general in the movie is good. There are two sequels which I doubt I will ever watch. As I said, a decent watch but with no nostalgic factor, which could have made it a top contender in this round, it is really just an average pick.

Trivia

Was the most expensive film ever produced in Germany at the time it was made.

Sawduck wrote: »
    Haven't seen The Burbs in ages, can't even remember what it's all about, good movie though
    It and the Trading places: throw in some John Carpenter and it is turning into my ultimate movie night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Speaking of Tom Hanks, I wonder has anyone nominated Money Pit :pac:

I love that movie too :D

Advertisement