Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D Drive On 10?

Options
  • 04-02-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

And, for my next stupid question ..... I've just put a CD in my disc slot. Nothing's happening? Nor can I find where to make anything happen

This is weird. Because I'm damn sure I've listened to a CD on this (New) machine since I got it :confused:

I'm completely lost.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek: You're Kidding Me!!!!!

Five Minutes Later; The Boss kicks off!

Okay. Fine, as far as it goes. But, it can't be normal to wait five minutes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

How old is the CD?

Really New. Like, released 2019. Played once before, that I remember. It's cerainly not going to be the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Assuming the drive is connected, try the following.

In Win 10, search for 'Control Panel'.
    Change to 'View by category'.
    Click on 'System and security'.
    Scroll down to Administrative Tools', and click on 'Create and format hard disk partitions'.
    See if the CD/DVD drive is showing in the list of disks. if it does, right click on the area under the blue highlight for the CD/DVD drive.
    Select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'
    Assign a valid drive mapping. Windows might complain if you try to map the drive on an existing drive.

Stigura wrote: »
    Really New. Like, released 2019. Played once before, that I remember. It's cerainly not going to be the CD.

Not that I don't believe you!

Trying to zone in on issue or what the cause is

Any other CD's to put in the drive? How do they respond?

• Advertisement

TG2; Put an extremely well played and trusted disc in there, Fifteen Minutes Ago! Nothing

Gyck; I got as far as this:
    SG.jpg

" Assign a valid drive mapping " :confused: Nope. Lost me there.

Looks like it's mapped okay. System has mapped it as D:\

Can you open 'This PC', put the disc in and let me know if the disc is seen by the PC right away or does that too take sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just out of curiosity, remove MobileWiFi (E: ) and test again

Can't even find " This PC " :(

Interestingly, I pulled off the modem. Put the CD in. Nothing.

Plugged the modem back in. Machine chimed. I Think I just caught a flash of a bar saying the modem was back. Then the CD started playing ???

• Advertisement

If you do a search for this PC you'll get the what most people know as My Computer where all the drives are listed.

Thanks. Finally found it. Clicked the D Drive. Box asked me to insert CD.

Did. Bar moved across. When that completed, disc started playing.

Hmm. Tried again, without opening boxes. Nothing.

Sounds to me like Auto Play is disabled, think Windows 10 does this by default.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-autoplay-windows-10

See if that helps you out

Nope. Went in there and checked what they said. Everything was in order. AutoPlay was / is on.

The most annoying bit is how someone makes a suggestion? I do as told. Then have to sit here for five minutes or more, waiting to see if this machine might randomly decide I can here my music, some minutes after I put the disc in.

As ye can imagine; This is Not satisfactory behaviour from this machine.

Just to confirm, in 'This PC', when you put a disc in it shows up right away, just it won't do anything until you click on it?

Or is the disc just not been read at all?

Can you check device manager for any '!' marks and if possible try updating the CD driver even without a '!' mark?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-drivers-in-windows-10-ec62f46c-ff14-c91d-eead-d7126dc1f7b6

Failing that how old is the machine, brand etc..

Had it worked flawlessly in the past?

Also someone mentioned, your phone looks to be mounted to as a drive, I would try unmount that Mobile Wifi drive, that doesn't look right to me.

Okay. In 'This PC'; When I open that? I double click DVD Drive " (Must sort That to single click!) Box opens saying to insert a disc.

And the green bar starts loading. I've no idea what that's about.

Aha! I insert disc as bar is half way? It waits till bar is full. Then I see the albums play list and the player window opens. Music.

Just never had all this drama before. Don't we, normally, shove a CD in and up pops WMP and we're off?

Checked driver for DVD. As it should be. Nothing better out there.

Device Manager isn't showing any '!'s.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P SFF Desktop PC (Black) - (Intel Quad Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Windows 10 Pro) (Renewed)

Barely had it a month. Everything else seems fine. I've really not even tried to play much music. Haven't had a D Drive for a couple years or so. Got used to not having music available.

Oh! And that E is my modem. I don't understand all that either. I just suspect it has to be there, to keep me on line?

Pretty much if AutoPlay is turned on, should spin the tracks right up on screen.

Unless the media player is slow to load up or something.

I guess, if you could just remove that modem and see if the disc reading situation improves.

Possible to that the drive is faulty. I can't really do much more from here Stigura, other than give you things to try out, at this stage I would be asking the person to bring it to me in person to try solve the issue.

Removed the modem. Shot the disc in. Absolutely nothing.

What I can't fathom though is how come I'm still on line??? I'm typing this. I've dug around in my emails. I'm even still connected to a film on Amazon. And it's still playable. How does it do this without a modem???

Okay! Now I'm freaked out! I typed the above. Had a think. Got bored and decided to stick the modem back in. Just for distraction.

Instant I plugged it back in? The below happens! See the top corners? WTF?!

Untitled.jpg

Ah okay I understand why it's showing up as a disc, they have bundled an installer on the modem.

From looking at the picture, you seem to be on a Wifi network also, is there a network where you are?

I think a setting has gone a miss inadvertently due to the modem.

A network? LOL! There isn't even a flushing loo where I am!

Seriously; I've no idea even what a " Network " means, here. But, I'm with 3, for my internet. And they sent me this modem. I don't know how Boards gets to my machine, with or without this little black box.

Hmm. I can only add that it's pretty well always been this way. The machine this one's replaced didn't Have a D Drive (Strange little machine. But, it worked) Prior to that? 3. D Drives. Listened to CDs. Watched DVDs. All this only started when I got round to popping a CD into this one. The modem never messed with a machine before.

• Advertisement

Water conservation ain't a bad thing, I won't ask around the number twos in that case!

I'm just wondering basically, you disconnected the modem yet the Wifi is still strong and is connected to something. Might not be a flushing toilet but your flush with internet where ever you are :pac:

I suppose, the options are Google until you figure out the issue, step by step, do something Google it, doesn't work Google what you think issue is.

Return the device

Buy an external CD drive

If you know someone that could help you give them a shout

I think to fix this it will be something simple, but made easier by being at the machine

What modem that is?

If its MiFi, it has battery and provides wireless connection.

As for player, could you hazard to install VLC, set it to be default and test how it behave.

And Win10 like to be RESTARTed, especially if your power settings left as default - "fast startup" enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Your modem dongle is creating a 'virtual' cd when plugged in. This is pretty standard to allow you to install software stored on the modem. This is causing a conflict with your 'real' cd, most likely to do with assigned drive letters.

TG; Thanks, mate. I'd hoped it would be some stupid little thing I'm just too out of touch with to have recognised. Starting to seem not :(

My last port of call will be the people who sold me the machine. They're extremely keen ~ it would appear ~ to keep their customers happy. I came here first because, well, isn't this what fora are about? :)

Smugs; The modem Has got a battery. Huawei E5573, in case that means jack to ye.

Installed vcl, last night. No discernable difference. Still had to go through hoops to get to that. And this is my issue, of course. You pop a disc in and away ye go. I pop one in, then start pressing buttons, searching about, to open boxes, to Tell the damn thing to please play. Shouldn't be like this.

Just disabled 'Fast Startup'.

Degsie; Any way round that, mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Stigura wrote: »

Degsie; Any way round that, mate?

Computer Management > Disk Management> Right Click the drive and change the drive letter path to something that is not being mapped etc.

Degsie; Ok. I've opened the D Drive stuff. Says it's called 'D', and it's not being shared with anything.

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!

:D Gentlemen; We have Cracked it!!! :D

(Stigura bounces around the room a bit, trying to get it out of his system! :pac:)

Burrowed into the D settings. Checked Properties. Saw it wasn't being shared. Checked the E / modem. Same.

Went Back to D and stared, hard. Spotted " Open Auto Play... " :rolleyes:

FFS! I'm clearly too f***ing stupid to have a computer. But, at least I've never bred! :p

Thank you, Gentlemen! :D

Advertisement