Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sepiolida

Radio silence for this PhD applicant at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 IRCStressAcct

sepiolida wrote: »
    Radio silence for this PhD applicant at least...

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AMS_theother1

Will the site go down for some time when they start updating? because it hasn't gone down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blizzardofone

Will the site go down for some time when they start updating? because it hasn't gone down yet.

I've seen posts from previous years about the site going down before it is updated. Though I'm not sure what it means - no access to the application itself or the whole portal?

The suspense!

• Advertisement

Do ye reckon we'll hear anything today now at this stage? This is so upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottyboy13dub

I don't think they'd email everyone saying (paraphrasing) 'you're getting results tomorrow x' and then not follow through -- the backlash would be ridiculous.. or maybe it was the most evil April fools joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clementine5

they gonna catch these hands if we don't get an update soon

Maybe check your spam email? And the email associated with your application.

You're not missing much anyway - just got an update email saying they won't be able to give out first stage results today, but will try to do so by April 6th. (Where is a good eyeroll emoji when you need one?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottyboy13dub

Anyone else get the email just there? They officially PRANKED us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sspandangler

Delayed AGAIN?! I feel this is some elaborate April fools prank? Why give us one day notice and then delay??

This is so frustrating. Accepting it'll now be next week for the postdoc

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BuuuuuuuuuB

Are there any news for PhD or postdoc?
    Any one has any new?

Any one has any new?

All PhD applicants got told that we will receive our round one results on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Choose

if last year is anything to go by... we didnt find out the final result until June 29th....

Any one has any new?

I think with the bank holidays we'll all be waiting until next Tuesday at least now

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BuuuuuuuuuB

Any of the PhD applicants or Postdoc heard anything?

Nope no updates for the postdoc yet. Todays the day (hopefully) for the PhDs isnt it?

Nope no updates for the postdoc yet. Todays the day (hopefully) for the PhDs isnt it?

It's supposed to be today, yeah. I'm not expecting any email before 5pm though :')

My stomach falls through my arse thinking about it. I have a masters student in the lab with me today though which is offering a good distraction lol

• Advertisement

I tried to login and the website gave me a 404 error... maybe we won't have to wait too much longer

I tried to login and the website gave me a 404 error... maybe we won't have to wait too much longer

Everything crossed for you!! I've heard the site goes down before results. Are you a PhD or postdoc applicant?

PhD! fingers crossed we hear something soon are you a postdoc or PhD yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OGrady2212

I didn't progress, unfortunately.

A total of 576 eligible applications were assessed under the ‘Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences’ stream, with the lowest total score for progression to the Inner International Assessment Board set at 88.5. (Is that number of applications the norm? Or is it lower/higher than last year, does anyone know?)

I hope some of you were more successful than I.

I didn't progress either unfortunately. Hope all of you who were unsuccessful are okay, and congratulations to those who were!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OGrady2212

sepiolida wrote: »
    I didn't progress either unfortunately. Hope all of you who were unsuccessful are okay, and congratulations to those who were!

I'm sorry to hear, Sepiolida. It's so disappointing. Were you AHSS or STEM? I hope you're feeling alright.

Hey all,

My earlier message got bungled up so I'm retyping this haha.

Sorry to hear for both of you :-( I've been told by multiple faculty that it's a bit of a crapshoot (e.g. you have no control over who reviews your app and it could be someone in a totally different discipline for one of your examiner, or someone who dislikes your subfield/topic).

I know now's a bad time to say this but re-applying is definitely worth the effort: my dept makes everyone apply twice and I know at least 2 people in upper years in my programme who got funded on their second time applying.

I got through and obviously am very grateful! but also have no clue what it actually means lol since idk how many people are in the second round vs how many scholarships they're planning to award.

Also excuse my poor reading comprehension but did they mean that there were 600 or so people applying to AHSS in total, or that this is the number of people who progressed to the second stage?

OGrady2212 wrote: »
    I didn't progress, unfortunately.

A total of 576 eligible applications were assessed under the ‘Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences’ stream, with the lowest total score for progression to the Inner International Assessment Board set at 88.5. (Is that number of applications the norm? Or is it lower/higher than last year, does anyone know?)

I hope some of you were more successful than I.

I was expecting the score to be lower this year due to Covid-19 but that didn't happen. When I first applied in 2019, the cut off was 89, so no change there. Hard luck. I hope you still manage to pursue you work through other funding or find something right for you.

Hey all,

My earlier message got bungled up so I'm retyping this haha.

Sorry to hear for both of you :-( I've been told by multiple faculty that it's a bit of a crapshoot (e.g. you have no control over who reviews your app and it could be someone in a totally different discipline for one of your examiner, or someone who dislikes your subfield/topic).

I know now's a bad time to say this but re-applying is definitely worth the effort: my dept makes everyone apply twice and I know at least 2 people in upper years in my programme who got funded on their second time applying.

I got through and obviously am very grateful! but also have no clue what it actually means lol since idk how many people are in the second round vs how many scholarships they're planning to award.

Also excuse my poor reading comprehension but did they mean that there were 600 or so people applying to AHSS in total, or that this is the number of people who progressed to the second stage?

I also got to the second round on my reapplication. It's definitely worth going back and looking at applying again, I feel my application this time was more thought out and measured than my first attempt. I believe the number is the total number of valid applicants. Usually I believe around 200 applications are approved, so 576 and 618 being reduced to around 200 (with some extra offers for TU/ IOT later on) would be around 1/6th of applications being approved more or less. These are VERY rough numbers but it would put it roughly in line with previous years.

• Advertisement

Commiserations to those that didn't get the news they hoped for this is one of the hardest things about PhD study I think. I wish you all the best of luck with any other funding endeavours.

Does anybody know how likely you are to be awarded funding if you progress past the first stage? This is all new to me and I had no idea what to expect putting in an application.

Advertisement