Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I stream to another tv from satellite receiver?

• 04-02-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭

I have the Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner.

I have this box since 2015 and have only realised that when I log onto the box on my pc/laptop, I can watch tv through VLC player

I click on the channel and it downloads a .m3u8 file. Open this with VLC player and can watch any channel the box has. The house is networked with cat5e cable.

I'm just wondering is can I stream these channels to another tv? Do I need an Android box or something else? The other issue is that each channel seems to need a different .m3u8 file.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not sure if tv needs vlc app to play your stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wheety wrote: »

I have this box since 2015 and have only realised that when I log onto the box on my pc/laptop, I can watch tv through VLC player

I click on the channel and it downloads a .m3u8 file. Open this with VLC player and can watch any channel the box has. The house is networked with cat5e cable.

I'm just wondering is can I stream these channels to another tv? Do I need an Android box or something else? The other issue is that each channel seems to need a different .m3u8 file.

You should be able to get a .m3u8 file which contains all the channels (playlist), but if not then you can manually add the contents of each channel's .m3u8 file to one master .m3u8 file and VLC will see a full playlist and you can choose whichever channel you want from that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You should be able to get a .m3u8 file which contains all the channels (playlist), but if not then you can manually add the contents of each channel's .m3u8 file to one master .m3u8 file and VLC will see a full playlist and you can choose whichever channel you want from that list.

I did have a look at one channel's .m3u8 in a text file. Would be easy enough to add other channels to it.

There must be a way to set up Kodi to stream it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I did have a look at one channel's .m3u8 in a text file. Would be easy enough to add other channels to it.

There must be a way to set up Kodi to stream it.

Have you tried using the m3u8 files and an IPTV plugin for Kodi?

kodi-zgemma.png

Just a quick test I did here using a .m3u8 file from an old Zgemma box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

What type of TV? If its a Smart TV from the likes of LG, Samsung or Android TV you may be able to use an app called Smart IPTV to watch TV.

Once you have a m3u8 playlist for all your channels you can upload it to your TV from their website. I was able to download a playlist of an entire bouquet by clicking the small TV icon to the left of the name.

They do a 7 day trial and then its 5.49 for a license. I use it on the kids bedroom TVs (LG) to stream from Gigablue/Zgemma receivers (wired from receivers to router but WiFi for the TVs). There is a small lag to startup on a channel while it buffers but after that its usually fine.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    What type of TV? If its a Smart TV from the likes of LG, Samsung or Android TV you may be able to use an app called Smart IPTV to watch TV.

Once you have a m3u8 playlist for all your channels you can upload it to your TV from their website. I was able to download a playlist of an entire bouquet by clicking the small TV icon to the left of the name.

They do a 7 day trial and then its 5.49 for a license. I use it on the kids bedroom TVs (LG) to stream from Gigablue/Zgemma receivers (wired from receivers to router but WiFi for the TVs). There is a small lag to startup on a channel while it buffers but after that its usually fine.

I think I have that installed (and paid for) on the tv already. Must have a try at the weekend.

Downloading the playlist on a pc and uploading it to Smart IPTV app worked. Thanks. Saves me having to run cables to the other tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi guys, my apologies for hijacking this..

Streaming from the Tv/box to another room is something I'm looking for.

Is there any more details on how to do this from the start?

I have a spare Amiko Mini Combo, would this be suitable, or do I need a zgemma??

Many thanks.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Hi guys, my apologies for hijacking this..

Streaming from the Tv/box to another room is something I'm looking for.

Is there any more details on how to do this from the start?

I have a spare Amiko Mini Combo, would this be suitable, or do I need a zgemma??

Many thanks.

Can you go to your main satellite receiver through a web browser? Like typing the ip address in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Can you go to your main satellite receiver through a web browser? Like typing the ip address in?

I have no idea yet.

I'm on sky q.

Been a long long time since I've used the Amiko.

I can hook it up over the weekend to check.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how it's done with Sky Q.

My main box is an Amiko. So I'm using that to stream to a smart tv with an IPTV app on it. Actually straight forward enough that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I have one of these tripple tuners from the old days and use kodi to watch all the channels, it's a bit buggy but it works.

Advertisement