Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a door?

• 04-02-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

My nephew has noticed (especially during the frost) his front door has water all over it in the mornings. Some of the water even turns into ice, indoors! A friend has suggested that he get a door vent. He had his bedroom window sound proofed before so he is worried that this will defeat the purpose, having holes in the door? Also, wouldn't this cause heat to leave the apartment, as it's already hard to heat during winter?

I have a feeling the door is over 20 years old. I do not even know what type of wood it is made out of. Can anyone offer a suggestion, so that he will be prepared when addressing this issue to the landlord? Does he just need a new door?

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/1z7mR06

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the picture is of the outside of the door, so where in the ice forming?

Is he heating the apt\?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

If you scroll down there is a picture from inside. The face of the door is wet in the mornings and if there is frost there is ice on the inside of the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    If you scroll down there is a picture from inside. The face of the door is wet in the mornings and if there is frost there is ice on the inside of the door.

OKay, I just hit next to look at the doe-eyed Russian blondes:D

So ventilation could be an issue and not heating the apt.
    If he concerned about it then consider a dehumidifier and run it in the hall at night, lots of intel on this site about them

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

He needs a wall vent in the rooms and some heating in the hall to reduce the relative humidity and stop it from condensing on the door. Could put a heavy duty curtain behind the door to retain heat.

Door looks fine but it needs a proper lock rather than that night latch if the general public have access to it. Not very secure as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check the weather seals all around the door.

Install a heavy curtain in the hall at the door.

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Looks like a solid timber door, so shouldnt be much wrong with it... very strange that ice is forming on the inside it must be very cold in the hall. As others have suggested a curtain may help, I definitely wouldn't be drilling holes in the door for ventilation. Is he drying clothes on a rad atall in the hallway adding to water vapour?

Also someone mentioned the lock, a night latch like that is recommended for fire safety purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I have similar problem with double glazed pvc door but it is due to the outside letterbox flap being forced "to wide open" to push packages through.

I'm hoping to replace it in the summer.

Advertisement