Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows the ol' environment doing?

Options
  • 04-02-2021 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

With the western world and beyond in a state of hibernation for the last year to a scale thats beyond the wildest hopes of Greta and Eamoon Ryan, (or wildest dreams for sleepy Eamonn) we must be doing great work on the climate saving front

So what are the stats like? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Apparently,global temperature is gone up

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

aziz wrote: »
    Apparently,global temperature is gone up

But I thought man was responsible for global warming??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

But I thought man was responsible for global warming??

No the Healy Rae’s are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Did we suddenly stop burning fossil fuels or something in 2020

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Did we suddenly stop burning fossil fuels or something in 2020

Well the world shut down. And yet the temp went up hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Still dumping plastic in the ocean. That's sickening. Microbeads in our body washes? Who thought putting plastic in them was a good idea? Don't get me started. I'll be long dead by the time this is a massive problem. But in the words of Houlihan, I'm very concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

World didn't shut down, far from it. Even if it did it would take decades to clear the extra co2 we have pumped into our atmosphere

2019 co2 levels were ~420 ppm. Highest in last 800,000 years on planet Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's been going up and down for years. The long term trend is definitely still up though.

Also most of the world is far from shut down, particularly in relation to manufacturing

World didn't shut down, far from it. Even if it did it would take decades to clear the extra co2 we have pumped into our atmosphere

Right but the global lockdowns would have made some difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Well interestingly they said airline travel for the environment, and needed to end. Well there's an experiment I thought we'd never get to do. Is the world a wee bit healed now? Or is airplanes not really harmful at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

CO2 emissions were down about 17% but CO2 concentrations or levels continued to rise, albeit less than previous years and less than expected in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Western world did (and we're the real eco-baddies according to the Thunbergites) and much of the rest world did, if that hasnt had any positive effect then it seems to me we're wasting our time with whatever else it is Greta wants to happen.

Call a year plus of global lockdown what you want, a massive dress rehearsal for eco-utopia, a global experiment on the effect of humans on climate change but I'd expect to see some pretty impressive results to the positive and its not looking good so far.

Trust the science, maybe when Science has a "the" in front of it like "Trust The Lord" we shouldnt :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The septic tanks in rural areas are being overworked as people work from home.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's a thread about Greta already if you want to give out about her there.
    What we have done during covid is nowhere near the effort it would require to sort the planet out, the current system isn't sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Global cooling is now happening, next week it will hit us bad, we need to start buying bigger cars and eating more meat to warm the place.

What we have done during covid is nowhere near the effort it would require to sort the planet out, the current system isn't sustainable.

It's never enough, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bambi wrote: »
    The Western world did (and we're the real eco-baddies according to the Thunbergites) and much of the rest world did, if that hasnt had any positive effect then it seems to me we're wasting our time with whatever else it is Greta wants to happen.

Call a year plus of global lockdown what you want, a massive dress rehearsal for eco-utopia, a global experiment on the effect of humans on climate change but I'd expect to see some pretty impressive results to the positive and its not looking good so far.

Trust the science, maybe when Science has a "the" in front of it like "Trust The Lord" we shouldnt :confused:

Global CO2 emissions fell a record 7 per cent in 2020
    Not all sectors were down: emissions from industry were slightly up on 2019, possibly because of China, where industrial activity recovered quickly after restrictions early in the year. The geography of the reductions was uneven too, with much of the fall driven by the US and Europe. China’s emissions were down just 0.15 billion tonnes of CO2.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2262513-record-co2-emissions-drop-in-2020-wont-do-much-to-halt-climate-change/

Whatever you do - don't take st gretas name in vain. If you do so you will most likley be accused of being a middle aged bald fat white man or wtte. You've been warned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The Western world did (and we're the real eco-baddies according to the Thunbergites) and much of the rest world did...

Why would you bother posting such a thing when it is demonstrably not the case? Some sectors were closed, but everyone was still driving their cars purchasing new electronic devices on Amazon, and engaging in untold other practices that are detrimental to the environment.

Therein lies the rub my eco-friendly chum, if the massive change that is lockdown has no discernable effect, then the sort of change reuqired that will (allegedly) have an effect is just not feasible. Half of us are not going to voluntarily jump into cardboard coffins and recycle ourselves.

Of course theres also now the very realy possibility that the anxious autists are wrong about climate change. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Half of us are not going to voluntarily jump into cardboard coffins and recycle ourselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if composting bodies becomes a thing in the future. The mushroom death suit would be my choice if it's available - https://www.bbc.com/news/48140812

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Why would you bother posting such a thing when it is demonstrably not the case? Some sectors were closed, but everyone was still driving their cars purchasing new electronic devices on Amazon, and engaging in untold other practices that are detrimental to the environment.

Because it demonstrably is the case :o

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/lockdown-drives-down-traffic-volumes-to-half-of-2019-levels-1.4460372

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publication/covid-19-transport-trend-data-28-december-2020-3-january-2021/

I didnt realise climate change meant no more buying electronic equipment. Should we be living solar powered botháns and hand churning artisan butter like Anthony O'Touchey Feeley (Cllr-Greens), his Missus Constantia Touchey-Feeley-O'Farrell-Talaya and their two gifted Educate-Together kids, Emilia and Teddy? :o

I wouldn't be surprised if composting bodies becomes a thing in the future. The mushroom death suit would be my choice if it's available -

Why not just make us into Soylent Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why not just make us into Soylent Green?

Funnily enough there was a Swedish (!) Behavioral scientist
    who proposed just that- not that long ago.
    speaking at the Gastro Stockholm summit the scientist offered an unusual possible solution in combating global climate change: eating human flesh.

Stockholm School of Economics professor and researcher Magnus Soderlund reportedly said he believes eating human meat, derived from dead bodies, might be able to help save the human race if only a world society were to “awaken the idea.”

https://www.foxnews.com/world/swedish-scientist-eat-human-flesh-climate-change

large_ktPLoaHbfWRsYO0WTLKpHBdjWq0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Seems like there's a fair amount of people making money out of the climate change 'industry'.

The Green party are useless fcucks as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't they campaign to have all phone chargers be of the same standard, for instance?

Why do they encourage drivers into spanking new EVs instead of making existing cars more maintenance friendly?

Why do they not make all home appliances more maintenance friendly?

Because it dose'nt make the right kind of headlines in the media.

That's why.

Tossers the lot of them.

Seems like there's a fair amount of people making money out of the climate change 'industry'.

The Green party are useless fcucks as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't they campaign to have all phone chargers be of the same standard, for instance?
    Agreed on the Greens.
    Though I'm pretty sure the EU made an attempt to standardise chargers. Aside from Apple (I assume they're still being assholes about it) it's pretty hard to get a phone with a non USB-C charger.
    Why do they encourage drivers into spanking new EVs instead of making existing cars more maintenance friendly?
    "Will I buy a clapped out old focus for 2 grand or spend 40k on a new yoke?" thought very few people ever.
    Why do they not make all home appliances more maintenance friendly?
    Agreed, difficult to do, not sure quite how you'd manage it.
    Because it dose'nt make the right kind of headlines in the media.

That's why.

Tossers the lot of them.
    Well headlines do matter. You need a level of buy-in from the public to get anything done.
    On the maintenance/reparability thing, let's imagine the EU decide to make manufacturers use metal parts where plastic parts would wear. The next day headlines "Brussels moves to add €100 to price of washing machine". Picture of a woman with 4 kids who can't imagine how she'll ever be able to afford a new washing machine.
    As it happens the issue is that appliances are too cheap and affordable. An appliance in my rented house is slightly broken. I could order the part, disconnect the electricity borrow one of those wheelie things, dick about and probably fix it for 40 quid and 2 or 3 hours of my time. However I rent so it's on my landlord. If he sends someone around to fix it there'll be the call-out, order the part, maybe 1.5 hours of labour plus the part. Gonna be talking at least 100 quid to fix it. Or he can buy a new one for about 150 quid (same model) to replace a 3 year old appliance and get a brand new warranty.
    So yeah, unless they make appliances a lot more expensive (artificially so, not just through slightly more expensive components) then it's not a simple thing to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Ireland is still responsible for 0.1 % of global emissions while China is responsible for 25%.

Keep taxing turf and briquettes and anything carbon emitting . We will single handedly as a nation turn the tide any day now

"The world's a bit **** so I'm going to **** on sofa."

Advertisement