Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with €130K in savings as a 30 year old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

billyhead wrote: »
    Why don't you invest in An Post State Saving products. Although the interest rate has decreased they still have the best returns if you leave the investment in long term.

what sort of returns, do you know? can't find much online regarding long term returns

I would go to Emmet Savage's Horizon program of MyWallSt of Merrion Row before I'd go to any bank here, imo.

what sort of returns, do you know? can't find much online regarding long term returns

I wouldn't bother looking. NO ONE wants lodgements. It's costing them money, so returns are going to be pitiful and less than even the current rate of inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I wouldn't bother looking. NO ONE wants lodgements. It's costing them money, so returns are going to be pitiful and less than even the current rate of inflation.

Credit union is giving out that I have too much savings with them :confused::confused:

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Credit union is giving out that I have too much savings with them :confused::confused:

Credit unions are famously over stocked with cash - it's why a lot of them had to merge. They have expensive staff and if everyone is lodging money and not borrowing they are not getting interest to pay staff etc.

If I understand correctly a lot of credit unions didn't pay dividends last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 mrasgar

McGaggs wrote: »
    When I see predictions like this, I start to get worried.

I get that, I would also be worried if people were saying that in ordinary times.

But now, given central banks are pumping out record levels of new money, and lowest ever interest rates (and negative rates) here to stay for a while, where else would big money go if not into businesses and their stocks?

If the stock market won't crash sustainably during the biggest crisis (pandemic) for 100 years, would it crash for any other reason?

Like Warren Buffet says around the 5.40 mark, if these 0% rates are here to stay, today's stock markets are ridiculously cheap (though overpriced by historic standards).

I think it'll be a couple of years before we see any sort of pullback or crash. I, personally, wouldn't be holding off on putting my money in the markets in anticipation of a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nobody knows when the crash will come.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

^ Both true, it's all about probabilities isn't it.

You wouldn't abandon driving your car, just because of a minimal chance of a car crash.

Instead you take precautions (buy and hold safer and conservatively-run businesses, in growth areas), and plan based on the most likely scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mrasgar wrote: »
    ^ Both true, it's all about probabilities isn't it.

You wouldn't abandon driving your car, just because of a minimal chance of a car crash.

Instead you take precautions (buy and hold safer and conservatively-run businesses, in growth areas), and plan based on the most likely scenarios.

Get out on the fast lane of the motorway (which are statistically safer places to drive lol), in a good fast car and ton it as far up the road right now while the going is easy ha. That's my trading strategy right at the second with largely all growth companies, but the aim is to double my portfolio next few months if possible, the likes of a 30% pullback in 6months time won't be as painful then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Timmaay wrote: »
    Get out on the fast lane of the motorway (which are statistically safer places to drive lol), in a good fast car and ton it as far up the road right now while the going is easy ha. That's my trading strategy right at the second with largely all growth companies, but the aim is to double my portfolio next few months if possible, the likes of a 30% pullback in 6months time won't be as painful then

I'm actually following the same strategy. Any good growth company valuations at today's stock price? Hate chasing if it can be avoided.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ah well so much for statistics then... on the other hand the picks and shovels vendors will commend you for your strategy as at least it guarantees them an income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

www.statesavings.ie is where you need to go

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Ah well so much for statistics then... on the other hand the picks and shovels vendors will commend you for your strategy as at least it guarantees them an income.

I'm not gonna pretend that's a good plan or good advice, all I know is I've taken a serious of risks the last year that have paid back like 30 times better than what sort of yearly return I'd of been happy with when I was fed up with my money earning zero interest in the bank last yr, the party has to end at some stage and I'll probably end up in that car wreck, but I've zero idea when that will be. Would I suggest this strategy to a beginner or someone who is like afew yrs from retirement or has a lump sum to pay off the mortgage, absolutely not, but I'm not in any of them classes right now so I'm happy to continue on as is for now.

cronos wrote: »
    I'm actually following the same strategy. Any good growth company valuations at today's stock price? Hate chasing if it can be avoided.

https://youtu.be/KhFIZcaU9dM this channel is Very good

I'm not gonna pretend that's a good plan or good advice, all I know is I've taken a serious of risks the last year that have paid back like 30 times better than what sort of yearly return I'd of been happy with when I was fed up with my money earning zero interest in the bank last yr, the party has to end at some stage and I'll probably end up in that car wreck, but I've zero idea when that will be. Would I suggest this strategy to a beginner or someone who is like afew yrs from retirement or has a lump sum to pay off the mortgage, absolutely not, but I'm not in any of them classes right now so I'm happy to continue on as is for now.

Every trader I've ever known and I've know a lot over 30 years, have had good years, hell one even had five good years in a row before he blew out. But it almost always ends the same way - at the end of the day they are luck to come out with the money they started out with.

It never ceases to amaze me, that people who talk so much about statistics, analysis etc.... ignore the most obvious one - they have chosen to play in a game where the odds are stacked against them!

Traders are like gamblers, they are all sure they make it big, if only they could get better data, better tools or better tips. So you'll make more money out trading if your start a newsletter, with the internet it's not difficult to get a couple of hundred or even a thousand people tp cough up $20 a month!

So you'll make more money out trading if your start a newsletter, with the internet it's not difficult to get a couple of hundred or even a thousand people tp cough up $20 a month!

Have you a link to your newsletter or is $20k a month beneath you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tibia

You need to send him $20 first.

You're about 25 years to late.... I graduated for newsletters to to tools for institutions to early retirement.

You're about 25 years to late.... I graduated for newsletters to to tools for institutions to early retirement.

So, you couldn't be bothered with an easy $20k a month now, even in retirement. Ooookay. The opportunity cost of your time spent on boards.ie is appreciated.

• Advertisement

tibia wrote: »
    You need to send him $20 first.

Most people's objective is to make money, you don't make money giving stuff away. If you're expecting free lunches and sensitivity in this industry, you'll be very disappointed.

Everyone is out for their slice: brokers lent out your positions and auction your orders for commission, data/trainer/newsletters vendors sell you their snake oil and talking heads talk up or down stocks depending on their sponsors......

This guys channel is very good for those who want to learn the fundamentals of stock valuation. No hype or stock tips.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvSXMi2LebwJEM1s4bz5IBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

This guys channel is very good for those who want to learn the fundamentals of stock valuation. No hype or stock tips.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvSXMi2LebwJEM1s4bz5IBA

I get worried when the first video on the guy's homepage is
    "My 3 Income Sources that Generate $30,845 per month"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

embraer170 wrote: »

Source 1: YouTube videos
    2: newsletters
    3: training courses.

Same strategy is used in loads of different areas. Doing the thing that is ostensibly the subject in question is usually not one of the income sources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I think this is a very good video on the question of whether we are in a bubble and the answer is almost without question that we are but that doesn't mean it is necessarily a bad thing to buy into that bubble.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you want actual good finance videos backed by scientific research and not "this is how i make 20k a month" videos or clickbait titles, this guy is great. He may only post once a month or every few months but he knows his **** and gives the pros and cons to everything, along with research papers you can check out. He also does podcasts that are frequent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDXTQ8nWmx_EhZ2v-kp7QxA

This guy, Sven Carlin, has a bit of a different take on investing than some (long term, value focused). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTTBSUr0zhPU56UQljag5A I like him, not for stock recommendations and such, but he explains theory and how to research and calculate values etc.

I found it somewhat reassuring that he donates the entirety of the money he makes from Youtube to charities in Nepal.

I think this is a very good video on the question of whether we are in a bubble and the answer is almost without question that we are but that doesn't mean it is necessarily a bad thing to buy into that bubble.

Thanks for sharing this, it does have quite a bit of new (to me) and useful info.

Based on the increased interest from retail investors into stock markets recently via Robinhood and the like, it looks like we're moving closer to 1929-like overhype and overbuying - I think Tesla is a good example with P/E great than 1000 (!).

It may take a couple of years till markets go completely bonkers (as IMHO there are too few average people investing yet compared to 1929), and until then there will be gains to be made.

Although on the other hand, we now have never before seen levels of extra cash being generated by central banks, which has to go somewhere, so this may delay any crash?

embraer170 wrote: »

No, watch his videos. They are good, to be fair.
    Don't judge a book by its cover.

Sven Carlin, as mentioned above, is good too.

• Advertisement

So, you couldn't be bothered with an easy $20k a month now, even in retirement. Ooookay. The opportunity cost of your time spent on boards.ie is appreciated.

Why? The entire point of doing that whole exercise was to retire at 55, so there is no need to continue the exercise once the objective is achieved.

The question is why does not someone of you just do it, based on who happy some people are to publish a short term gain here, one would assume they are interested in accumulating wealth... so why play in a game where the odds are stacked against you???

Advertisement