Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy large logs

Options
  • 05-02-2021 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Where can I buy mixed hardwood logs, 4 - 5m length, 200 - 500mm diameter, about 8 tonnes at a time? And what would I expect to pay collected?

Looking to process my own firewood. TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Where can I buy mixed hardwood logs, 4 - 5m length, 200 - 500mm diameter, about 8 tonnes at a time? And what would I expect to pay collected?

There's diseased Ash being clear felled at the moment, but you will be competing against the biomass market. Haulier that's delivering these would be your best bet for a load. Standing price around here is €25 a ton, but you'd have to factor in felling and forwarding costs on top of that.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi there,
    8 tonnes at a time might present problems, usually lorry loads are 22 tonnes or so.

Transport of timber is very expensive.

Hardwood logs 200-500mm diameter might be much more profitably sawn into planks than firewood. For example kiln dried Ash in 25mm rough sawn boards would be 38 euro a cubic foot, thats 1342 euro a cubic meter!! PLUS VAT TOO!!!
    Green sawn boards are saleable too 18 to 20 euro a cubic foot, 6-700 euro a cubic meter.

In my humble opinion, burning hardwood that is suitable for planking is a HEINOUS WASTE.

If you were wanting to process your own firewood, material in the 75mm to 200mm range from first thinnings might be much more appropriate, easier to handle, less splitting etc.
    You may be able to source such material from a local forest where they are first thinning hardwoods, I'd suggest asking a local forester, and putting the word out so to speak. A local farm forest might be able to supply yearly tractor trailer loads to you which would be in the 3-8 ton range depending on the trailer.

just my 2 cents
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Contact the grower's group local to you. Someone in that group will have a diseased ash stand or be thinning ash.

There's groups all over country.

For someone like me when thinning and person who could collect from yard( or better again wood) is going to get a good price.

As Tim said go for much smaller diameter for price and handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I have access to a 14 ton tipper with an 8t payload, hence the size of the loads. Good point about the smaller diameter, I actually make furniture myself so I understand the shame of cutting up a big logs for firewoods.

How do I find said hauliers or growers groups?

Gimme some exact Google terms and I'll get on it.

Any point in ringing Coillte or Teagasc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Teagasc Forest Owner Groups listing:
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/forestry/advice/Forest_Owner_Groups_2012.pdf
    It's a few years old at this stage, but the great majority of the content is still revenant.

• Advertisement

I have access to a 14 ton tipper with an 8t payload, hence the size of the loads. Good point about the smaller diameter, I actually make furniture myself so I understand the shame of cutting up a big logs for firewoods.

2012 document but should get you started.

Google your county and forestry growers group

Best of luck enjoy the hardship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Thanks all, what am I getting myself into

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Certainly worth giving your local Teagasc forestry adviser a call or email, their contact details are listed on the teagasc website.
    tim

Thanks all, what am I getting myself into

If you were local to me and you had access to a tipper truck I'd be getting you in to deliver loads locally for me on day I had firewood processor in.

I would then pay you with a deal on very cheap/free spilt seasoned wood as you headed off home.

Find someone local to you and do a deal like above. Unless you like the hardship! Not adverse to it myself 😀

Advertisement