Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs Yellow Card

Options
  • 05-02-2021 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I've received a yellow card for a post in Current Affairs.

The issue was based around my finishing a post with #notanormalposter

The mod, Necro has interpreted this very directly, whereas with context it was very clearly a glib/tongue in cheek reference to the poster I was replying to's regular signing off on posts with #notanormalparty.

I tend to moderate myself on the basis of what is generally seen to be allowed in a thread, and there have been much more direct personal attacks made on posters in that thread that haven't received any degree of moderation.

I'm aware that, 'well he did it' isn't a defense in and of itself, nor am I seeking any degree of moderation on the posts I'm referencing (I just read them as the inherent rough and tumble that comes with discussions around politics).

I've engaged with the moderator Necro on this and attempted to explain that I was not actually suggesting that the poster referenced was in any way abnormal, but rather making reference to his usual sign off with what I thought was a relatively benign and playful comment, however after initially engaging and eventually explaining to me what the perceived problem with my comment was, he has not replied despite three attempts on my side to engage over ~55 hours.

I'm aware that a yellow card isn't the biggest deal in the world, however I'd prefer this wasn't sitting on my account unjustifiably. I've been given one other yellow card in my time posting here which I put my hands up and acknowledged wrongdoing on, but this one just seems a bit of an overreaction given the context of the thread and the standards other posters are being held to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Good morning Fionn1952,

As you're still in 'engage-with-the-moderator' mode, I'll give Necro a chance to respond to you directly first. If you still haven't heard anything in the next couple of days, or you are not happy with the outcome of the discussion post back here and I'll ask a CMod to take a look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

mike_ie wrote: »
    Good morning Fionn1952,

As you're still in 'engage-with-the-moderator' mode, I'll give Necro a chance to respond to you directly first. If you still haven't heard anything in the next couple of days, or you are not happy with the outcome of the discussion post back here and I'll ask a CMod to take a look for you.

Hi Mike,

Necro has advised that he won't reverse the card as he feels I was clearly having a dig at the poster. He has suggested I continue on with the dispute resolution process.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I shall let the CMods know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can look at this. Please provide the complete pm exchange you had with the relevant mod where you attempted to resolve the issue.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I can look at this. Please provide the complete pm exchange you had with the relevant mod where you attempted to resolve the issue.

Forwarded on via PM Pawwed Rig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Hi there.

I've received a yellow card for a post in Current Affairs.

The issue was based around my finishing a post with #notanormalposter

The mod, Necro has interpreted this very directly, whereas with context it was very clearly a glib/tongue in cheek reference to the poster I was replying to's regular signing off on posts with #notanormalparty.

Hi. I have discussed this with the mod and looked into it in detail. You seem to have come to the conclusion that the infraction was due to your hashtag rather that you calling another poster a hypocrite. To be fair to you the mod was not very clear in your pm exchange and I have discussed that with him.

One if the basis rules on boards is to attack the post and not the poster. Your post was directed at the poster in a negative way so a yellow card would be the appropriate action here.

If you wish an admin to review this further please let me know.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi. I have discussed this with the mod and looked into it in detail. You seem to have come to the conclusion that the infraction was due to your hashtag rather that you calling another poster a hypocrite. To be fair to you the mod was not very clear in your pm exchange and I have discussed that with him.

One if the basis rules on boards is to attack the post and not the poster. Your post was directed at the poster in a negative way so a yellow card would be the appropriate action here.

If you wish an admin to review this further please let me know.

Hi Pawwed Rig, yes I did come to that conclusion because the moderator told me that was the reason. As you'll see in the PM exchange, I specifically asked if it was against the rules to point out hypocrisy, I was told it was not.

The reason I was under the impression that it was due to the hashtag was because when I asked about it, the moderator told me
    By using the phrase '#notanormalposter' you are personalising your response in an uncivil manner and there's no need for that in my view.

If the issue is due to my pointing out the poster's hypocrisy then yes, I would appreciate an admin review as my post was pointing out the hypocrisy in the poster's content (which I had provided a very direct example of in the previous post) rather than a direct insult. I'd paint it as akin to saying, 'that was b*tchy' versus, 'you are a b*tch'. It was specifically in reference to content, not the poster as a person.

The only part of my post I think could be read as attacking the poster rather than the post was the following up, 'complete lack of self awareness' part. With saying that, I'm aware I'm handing out enough rope to hang myself there, as an admin could just read it and say, 'sure, that is why you received a yellow then' and move on with more important things, but then I'd be in a position where three people have decided to uphold a yellow for three different reasons.

All I'm really hoping to get at this point is a bit of clarity as it is feeling a bit like working your way backwards from the yellow card in order to justify it rather than the other way round.

Should I be leaving this process under the impression that pointing out hypocrisy is not allowed, as you have told me that is the reason for my yellow card? Or under the impression that pointing out hypocrisy is not an infractable offense but it was from the way I pointed it out (back to the hashtag thing).

Thanks for your time.

I'm aware you guys are all volunteers, so not intending on rushing anything, but just bumping this to make sure my request for an admin review didn't slip through the cracks.

Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for the nudge on this one

I will try and have a look at it later on

Beasty wrote: »
    Thanks for the nudge on this one

I will try and have a look at it later on

Cheers, Beasty.

Mostly I'd appreciate the clarification. I can acknowledge that it wasn't a particularly pleasant message, but I didn't think it crossed the line

The confused response on what exactly I've been infracted for hasn't really helped my feeling that it seems more like deciding to infract and working backwards to find a reason to justify it rather than something egregious in the post demanding action.

No rush on it, as it isn't impacting my use of the site in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm seeing arguments on both sides of this one

I've searched both terms - #notanormalparty has been used a number of times, sometimes referring to SF, sometimes to the Green Party

#notanormalperson has been used twice, and on both occasions yellowed

I've got to say I'm not in favour of either term. Whichever political party someone follows, there is no need to try and ridicule it with such a comment. Equally I consider the term #notanormalperson as ridiculing the poster. Most casual observers (as I feel I was when looking at the comment) would consider it a term of abuse towards the other user. Only those "in the know" would think otherwise

However I've looked at your overall record on the site which is pretty good. I think some credit is due for that. So I'm going to overturn the card, but in doing so you, and other readers of this thread, must understand that such commentary is inappropriate.

Whenever posting anything like that, think of someone who is not following the thread, forum or poster would think looking at that comment in isolation. This site should not become one of cliques with different terminology for those who are in the relevant "gang"

Hence I'm lifting the card but with a warning that this is not something I would like to see again

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm seeing arguments on both sides of this one

I've searched both terms - #notanormalparty has been used a number of times, sometimes referring to SF, sometimes to the Green Party

#notanormalperson has been used twice, and on both occasions yellowed

I've got to say I'm not in favour of either term. Whichever political party someone follows, there is no need to try and ridicule it with such a comment. Equally I consider the term #notanormalperson as ridiculing the poster. Most casual observers (as I feel I was when looking at the comment) would consider it a term of abuse towards the other user. Only those "in the know" would think otherwise

However I've looked at your overall record on the site which is pretty good. I think some credit is due for that. So I'm going to overturn the card, but in doing so you, and other readers of this thread, must understand that such commentary is inappropriate.

Whenever posting anything like that, think of someone who is not following the thread, forum or poster would think looking at that comment in isolation. This site should not become one of cliques with different terminology for those who are in the relevant "gang"

Hence I'm lifting the card but with a warning that this is not something I would like to see again

Hi Beasty, I appreciate it, I can see how with no context it looked like a very direct insult. I'll keep your feedback in mind going forward and avoid such contextual commentary in future.

Thanks for your time.

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement