Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limk. Auctioneers. Rates & Experience

• 05-02-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

Morning all

Before I go ringing each one in turn... has anyone experience with Limerick auctioneers?

I'm particularly interested in the % charged on sale, whether it varies much between them, and any positive experiences.

An odd time to be selling - so I'm trying to get my money's worth.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

When I was selling in 2019 the rates were anywhere between 1.25% - 2.5% of the sale price (+vat) which was annoying as they never included VAT on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Berty wrote: »
    When I was selling in 2019 the rates were anywhere between 1.25% - 2.5% of the sale price (+vat) which was annoying as they never included VAT on it.

Thanks Berty. Even on a 200K sale that's a difference of between 2500 and 5 grand. Certainly not small change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Have used a few over the years, but last time(5 years ago) we used Quanes. Found them very good and costs were very clear upfront.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Have used a few over the years, but last time(5 years ago) we used Quanes. Found them very good and costs were very clear upfront.

Thanks for that M! ;) Any illegal games of soccer going... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Hooked wrote: »
    Thanks for that M! ;) Any illegal games of soccer going... :D

:mad: No. Even the Charity game at Christmas was cancelled. Nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I will drop you a pm as we are not allowed to mention companies/businesses by name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi
    Give Bill Hanly (Hanly Donnellan) a shout.
    Great auctioneer, he sold 2 properties for me in the past .
    Having dealt with a few different auctioneers buying and selling, I would highly recommend Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Best seller of a house is undoubtably yourself, you know the plusses of your property and can answer a buyers questions far better than any auctioneer. Very easy to sell your property too, Daft ad costs about 100euro, hire a photographer to take professional shots ( way better than the auctioneers camera phone). Have an open viewing day and let the bids roll in. Once you are happy with the bidder and the price go sale agreed. Deposit gets paid to your solicitor and you have just saved yourself thousands and know that you have got the highest price possible for your property. Remember an auctioneer has little interest getting top money on a sale. He just wants to complete and get his commission. An extra 5 or 10 grand to him is only worth an extra 100euro. The problem with estate agents in this country is their commisions are too low so they have little interest in putting work or money in to getting top price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

tweek84 wrote: »
    I will drop you a pm as we are not allowed to mention companies/businesses by name.

Don't know why you think that, feel free to name or recommend anyone but shilling or unsubstantiated claims aren't allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

snowcat wrote: »
    Best seller of a house is undoubtably yourself, you know the plusses of your property and can answer a buyers questions far better than any auctioneer. Very easy to sell your property too, Daft ad costs about 100euro, hire a photographer to take professional shots ( way better than the auctioneers camera phone). Have an open viewing day and let the bids roll in. Once you are happy with the bidder and the price go sale agreed. Deposit gets paid to your solicitor and you have just saved yourself thousands and know that you have got the highest price possible for your property. Remember an auctioneer has little interest getting top money on a sale. He just wants to complete and get his commission. An extra 5 or 10 grand to him is only worth an extra 100euro. The problem with estate agents in this country is their commisions are too low so they have little interest in putting work or money in to getting top price.
    In Ireland this method of selling property is extremely rare - unheard of, in fact. I think the same could be said of Britain and the U. S. I don't really know the reason why - maybe buyers are too cautious. It makes sense from a financial perspective for the vendor as you say. I would be a bit dubious about purchasing privately and would rather deal with a reputable auctioneer.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, I actually went down this route the last time I’d ‘almost’ sold the house, only for the house we were purchasing to fall through.

The daft ad was 300 euro IIRC, but I did find people very uneasy with dealing with me personally... as if the absence of an auctioneer was somehow an attempt to sell them a house with a hidden agenda.

I’ve always worked in a customer facing role, so consider myself easy to talk to, relaxed and honest. And I was very organised, punctual and communicated via phone/Email throughout the process quite quickly.

With the whole covid scenario... and the previous attempt to sell it myself, I was thinking an auctioneer might be the best way this time around.

Thanks for all the replies.

chicorytip wrote: »
    In Ireland this method of selling property is extremely rare - unheard of, in fact. I think the same could be said of Britain and the U. S. I don't really know the reason why - maybe buyers are too cautious. It makes sense from a financial perspective for the vendor as you say. I would be a bit dubious about purchasing privately and would rather deal with a reputable auctioneer.

As above... this was my experience (as a seller)

Hooked wrote: »
    Believe it or not, I actually went down this route the last time I’d ‘almost’ sold the house, only for the house we were purchasing to fall through.

The daft ad was 300 euro IIRC, but I did find people very uneasy with dealing with me personally... as if the absence of an auctioneer was somehow an attempt to sell them a house with a hidden agenda.

I’ve always worked in a customer facing role, so consider myself easy to talk to, relaxed and honest. And I was very organised, punctual and communicated via phone/Email throughout the process quite quickly.

With the whole covid scenario... and the previous attempt to sell it myself, I was thinking an auctioneer might be the best way this time around.

Thanks for all the replies.

There is nothing to stop you hiring an agent and also advertising the property yourself. Let the agent know you will be doing it. If the agent is any good he should get a better price than you can. In reality he wont and probably wont even try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ive dealt with many of them

commission rates are similar in my experience , i found Rowan Fitzgerald to be a very honest professional to deal with , good experience with Gillian Dunne too of DNG Cusack Dunne

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll give advice from a BUYER'S perspective. The right EA will make you thousands and the WRONG EA will lose you thousands.

Honestly, we bought a house last year and if the EA did his job AND the owner game even half a care, they would have probably sold the house for 25k more. That's not an exaggeration. Dirty floors, bits hanging from kitchen cupboards, no light bulbs in a few rooms during winter viewings.

My advice, spend the money on a top EA and make sure the house is as presentable as possible when people are viewing.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ive dealt with many of them

commission rates are similar in my experience , i found Rowan Fitzgerald to be a very honest professional to deal with , good experience with Gillian Dunne too of DNG Cusack Dunne

I would 100% recommend Gillian from a buyers perspective, and if we were selling, I'd go with her personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

chicorytip wrote: »

We just closed a sale two weeks ago where we bought directly from the seller with no EA involved. There was no add on daft we just heard about the property through word of mouth but it was a perfectly easy sale and would make me think twice about using an EA if I going to sell myself.
    With the market as it is currently if your house is in any way desirable it will sell wether you have an EA or not. Supply is so low people will not be put off.

In saying that a number of people (older generation like my parents) were suspicious and suggesting there might have been something fishy going on and why weren’t they putting the house on the open market. I found that funny to be honest because the estate agent has no bearing on the legitimacy of the sale and if there was anything funny going on it would all come out during the legal process.

Anyway, it was all fine and we are delighted to be moving into our new house which we got for a great price due to no bidding war!

shreko wrote: »
    I found that funny to be honest because the estate agent has no bearing on the legitimacy of the sale and if there was anything funny going on it would all come out during the legal process.

Anyway, it was all fine and we are delighted to be moving into our new house which we got for a great price due to no bidding war!

The bit above always makes me laugh... they can sell anything and its up to YOU, the buyer to make sure the property is legitimate and not hiding anything sinister... Buyer beware, eh!

Thanks for all the replies... and the private messages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Sold my own house in a week a few years back via Daft.ie.

Don't see the need to throw money away to an Auctioneer when you'd do a far better job yourself.

Over the years I've gotten used to seeing Estate Agents listing properties with 5 or 6 very mediocre and careless photos of a house out of pure disinterest and laziness and have been so unimpressed by Auctioneers showing houses where they couldn't be arsed trying to do a good or even a half enthusiastic job.

Very, very poor value for your money.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I would 100% recommend Gillian from a buyers perspective, and if we were selling, I'd go with her personally.

Gillian is great

Helen Mc Cormack is good too , real charisma and interest in the whole property thing

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'll give advice from a BUYER'S perspective. The right EA will make you thousands and the WRONG EA will lose you thousands.

Honestly, we bought a house last year and if the EA did his job AND the owner game even half a care, they would have probably sold the house for 25k more. That's not an exaggeration. Dirty floors, bits hanging from kitchen cupboards, no light bulbs in a few rooms during winter viewings.

My advice, spend the money on a top EA and make sure the house is as presentable as possible when people are viewing.

You are sorely mistaken if you think any EA would take it upon themselves to improve the look of a property they are selling. They may make suggestions to the owner but they certainly will not get their hands dirty themselves or pay for any upgrades from their own pocket. And they will not turn down listing a property no matter what state it is in. If it does not reach top price they will just blame the vendor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd imagine the Accommodation & Property forum would be a better place to debate the role or value of estate agents.

You are sorely mistaken if you think any EA would take it upon themselves to improve the look of a property they are selling. They may make suggestions to the owner but they certainly will not get their hands dirty themselves or pay for any upgrades from their own pocket. And they will not turn down listing a property no matter what state it is in. If it does not reach top price they will just blame the vendor.

its the property owners job to have the place not looking like a kip , not the EA

Yes I was trying to infer that. If the owner doesn't care, it's a disaster.

Advertisement