Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidence cover Cork City/Turners Cross

Options
  • 05-02-2021 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I am a FTB and I am planning to buy a house in Turners Cross. Sale is agreed and mortgage is with KBC. KBC require subsidence cover to draw down but we are finding it impossible to get this cover even with an enormous excess. We have tried MIG and Boylan O Mahony group as brokers but they could not get quotes. Does anyone living in this area know who would cover subsidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not sure anyone will cover for subsidence in affected areas of Cork.
    KBC should know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We're through Zurich, worth a call as we had the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I found FBD very good. They’re the only ones who would quote me. Everyone else said I was in a flood plain, which i wasn’t. They were just going off the map on the computer. If you can speak to someone local it’s better. Ring the FBD Cork office.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

It's next to near impossible to get subsidence cover.
    I went through EBS for my mortgage who were much easier to deal with after struggling with BOI and AIB on the subsidence issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

We got cover with MIG at the time that we bought but weren't able to renew the subsidence element since. KBC are ridiculously strict on it, they wouldn't let us draw down without subsidence cover even though the property had had remediation works done for subsidence previously and their own in-house insurers wouldn't cover us for it. Unfortunately your best bet might be to go with another bank if that's an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DaveyToons

We had the same issue with KBC a number of years ago and I think the issue is that on most insurance policies they have highlighted that there is no subsidence cover.
    We got a policy with Boylan O Mahony which doesn't cover the subsidence but because it isn't covered it isn't mentioned anywhere on the policy and KBC seemed happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Brokers are better able to deal with this, try MIG. www.mig.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TC2020

Thank you all for the advice I will post an update once I've tried these suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I know someone out there who paid thousands as the house was sinking. Make sure you get that cover. I think it was Doyle Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

yenom wrote: »
    I know someone out there who paid thousands as the house was sinking. Make sure you get that cover. I think it was Doyle Road.

Our subsidence cost €45K to fix. No insurer will pay for subsidence to be fixed unless you have had the policy for yonks before the issue was known. OP just wants house insurance (which will exclude subsidence cover) as very few will even quote in the area even with the exclusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We bought in Turners Cross in 2019 and got subsidence cover through MIG and Ageas, there was a bit of back and forth over subsidence cover and engineers reports but we got it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Very difficult to get cover for Togher, The Lough, Ballyphehane and Turners Cross

Advertisement