Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud Boys declared Terrorist Organisation by Canada *Mod Warning in OP*

Options
  • 05-02-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

https://apnews.com/article/canada-proud-boys-terrorist-group-510b8cd8286f1207a726904f61e63e4d
    The Canadian government designated the Proud Boys group as a terrorist entity on Wednesday, noting they played a pivotal role in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

The Proud Boys have faced increased scrutiny after seizing on the former Trump administration’s policies and the group was a major agitator during earlier protests and the Capitol riot on Jan. 6. The Proud Boys is a far-right, male chauvinist extremist group known for engaging in violent clashes at political rallies. Canada is the first country to designate them as a terrorist entity.

During a September presidential debate, Donald Trump had urged the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by” when asked to condemn them by a moderator.

The terrorist designation in Canada means the group may have assets seized and face harsher terrorism-related criminal penalties. A government official said just because they are a member doesn’t mean they will be charged with a crime, but if they do engage in violent acts they could be charged with terrorist crimes.

Sending money to the organization or buying Proud Boys paraphernalia would also be a crime.

“The group and its members have openly encouraged, planned, and conducted violent activities against those they perceive to be opposed to their ideology and political beliefs,” the Canadian government said in briefing materials.

“The group regularly attends Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests as counter-protesters, often engaging in violence targeting BLM supporters. On January 6, 2021, the Proud Boys played a pivotal role in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.”

Blair said four right-wing groups including a white supremacist group called The Base that espoused using violence to accelerate overthrowing the U.S. government and Neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division were also designated as terrorist entities. They are a part of 13 additions to the list which also include three groups linked to al-Qaida, four associated with the Islamic State group and one Kashmiri organization.

This comes on the back of a vote to do so a last week back, which was unanimously voted on by Canada's House of Commons, which has 338 members on both the left and right side of the political aisle: https://globalnews.ca/news/7598355/motion-passes-proud-boys-terrorists/

Stand back, stand by, and don't be terrorists.
    Mod:

Ok I've just deleted over 100 posts of absolute nonsense, whataboutery, outright trolling and bickering back and forth.

Thread title is amended to reflect the correct nature of the article in the OP.

I'm reopening this under the very strict measures to stay on topic. If you want to talk about antifa or BLM or ISIS or some other organisation that is NOT the Proud Boys (which is the very subject of this thread) - post in the relevant thread or start one on the topic.

If a poster tries to derail a thread with the above, don't give them the oxygen of discussion - report and the mods will deal with it.

Threadbans and forum sanctions will follow for people who cannot follow these directions.

Comments

Are those black Henri Lloyd polos terrorism too? Would hate to be sponsoring terrorism by wearing my one out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Edz87 wrote: »
    Are those black Henri Lloyd polos terrorism too? Would hate to be sponsoring terrorism by wearing my one out and about.

the UVF are big into Henri Lloyd as well

spodoinkle wrote: »
    the UVF are big into Henri Lloyd as well

I know, I am the UVF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Power said national security and law enforcement agencies are “very actively engaged in monitoring the activities of these groups, and gathering the evidence required to support a determination of listing as a Terrorist Organization.

At least there's a standard of evidence needed, but it does sound like they are working backwards. They've created a conclusion and are now looking for supporting evidence

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

TomTomTim wrote: »
    At least there's a standard of evidence needed, but it does sound like they are working backwards. They've created a conclusion and are now looking for supporting evidence
    Blair has also said that they have been actively planning and plotting terrorist acts, which was a big part of their determination. So not working backwards by the sounds of it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-politics-extremism-idUSKBN2A32Q2
    "There has been a serious and concerning escalation of violence - not just rhetoric but activity and planning - and that is why we have responded as we have today," he told a news conference. He did not give details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Blair has also said that they have been actively planning and plotting terrorist acts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-politics-extremism-idUSKBN2A32Q2
    "There has been a serious and concerning escalation of violence - not just rhetoric but activity and planning - and that is why we have responded as we have today," he told a news conference. He did not give details.

Fair enough.
    There has been a serious and concerning escalation of violence - not just rhetoric but activity and planning - and that is why we have responded as we have today,” he told a news conference. He did not give details

Details will be needed, if we are to be persuaded.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

both groups have chapters/cells in many states and countries.

They do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This is all getting a little silly. God help us when an actual terrorist organisation inevitably rears its head again.

"Proud Boys" are internet hucksters exploiting social unrest for financial gain.

Fair enough.

Details will be needed, if we are to be persuaded.
    Details of active investigations are typically not disclosed, especially before disclosure.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure if theyre all that interested in persuading you. Moreso in protecting the law and their people from terrorist groups (including the multiple others listed in the article, primarily also western far right as well and/or islamist far right).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,376 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yer man who heads the Proud Boys has been an FBI grass for years. I can’t imagine that went down well with the grassroots.

I’m sure the information came to light to discredit him, but I wonder what effect it will have on them as an organisation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-55846696

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

This is all getting a little silly. God help us when an actual terrorist organisation inevitably rears its head again.

"Proud Boys" are internet hucksters exploiting social unrest for financial gain.

09302020_Proud-Boys_215212-1560x1071.jpg

Yea, they're definitely not trying to instill terror here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Good, hopefully the Irish government follow suit, as well as the rest of the EU.

Far right white supremacists groups, have been allowed to operated with impunity for far to long. About time to see some action.

Also, people who compare anti-fascists, as being equivalent to white supremacists, tell you everything about their sympathies....

09302020_Proud-Boys_215212-1560x1071.jpg

Yea, they're definitely not trying to instill terror here.

Americans stroking their guns. Yeah, that's a new one.

Strong argument sir, you have unparalleled debating skills.

Which are they then? are they basement dwellers or are they on the street in full tactical gear with high powered weaponry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Fascists', want to kill all non-white people.

Anti-fascists, are against that.

Somehow, some people who are totally not fascists themselves, think these 2 are the same some how.

Any reasonable person is ant-fascist, it is not an organization. You can no more declare anti-fascism a terrorist group, then you can declare fascism a terrorist group. Now you can declare specific groups like the proud boys terrorists, as they are an organization that has openly engaged in political violence for several years. If someone is angry about them being rightly declared a terrorist group, then its clear they have sympathies towards this terrorist group, and again if you are against anti-fascism, then you are a fascist.

Strong argument sir, you have unparalleled debating skills.

Which are they then? are they basement dwellers or are they on the street in full tactical gear with high powered weaponry?

Fair enough. I should probably be fearful for my freedom/personal safety, or something.

Drop me a PM when they're marching on Dublin.

WTF?

Strong argument sir....

I concede. "Terrorist organisation", they most certainly are.

Obvious by omission that you agree your earlier "internet hucksters" comment was incorrect.

I think they're up to 8 Proud Boys now who have been arrested for the failed insurrection effort last month, by the way.

sorry, I failed to provide a strong argument as I had no idea what the post meant, can you please explain the post to me -

Sure. I know realise the Proud Boys are in fact a "terrorist organisation", and absolutely not a bunch of clowns exploiting the volatility of the current political climate for their own gain.

Sure. I know realise the Proud Boys are in fact a "terrorist organisation", and absolutely not a bunch of conmen exploiting the volatility of the current political climate for their own gain.

That's exactly what a terrorist is... Using fear/terror/violence to pursue their aims....

• Advertisement

That's exactly what a terrorist is... Using fear/terror/violence to pursue their aims....

Exactly. And this is why I asked you to inform me (via PM) the minute these gun stroking neckbeards - whoops, Terrorists - show up here.

Sorry for the confusion.

Exactly. And this is why I asked you to inform me (via PM) the minute these gun stroking neckbeards show up here.

Sorry for the confusion.

I doubt they'll march here,

But if you want to find our own version (now, it's a really shit version) of the "proud boys"

Try Gemma O Doherty, The National Party, Ben Gilroy, The Yellow Vest boys, Anti Corruption Ireland - they're our proud boys, not quite terrorists - definitely fascists.

I doubt they'll march here,

But if you want to find our own version (now, it's a really shit version) of the "proud boys"

Try Gemma O Doherty, The National Party, Ben Gilroy, The Yellow Vest boys, Anti Corruption Ireland - they're our proud boys, not quite terrorists - definitely fascists.

I'm old enough to remember when real terrorists operated on this island. I won't be losing any sleep over anyone that list. Proud Boys won't even be afforded a footnote in the history books.

Breast beating langers out for a ruck. And I include their mortal enemies Antifa in that description. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

El Weirdo wrote: »
    A thread about actual fascists rightfully being declared a terrorist organisation and the whataboutism from the apologists starts immediately.

This place has gone to the ****ing dogs.

If someone dares to mention Christianity or the IRA on one of the regular Muslim bashing threads following an event that may or may not be a terrorist attack there will be 10 replies about how that's obviously not the same thing and the mere comparison is outrageous.

Start a thread about the Proud Boys being a terrorist organisation and over half the posts are crying about antifa.

Proof if any was needed that this forum is fast becoming a right wing shíthole.

They probably wont as they are useful tools for those in power, you wont see anything happen to them unless they bite the hand that feeds them.

Who's their leader so - if they are an organisation?

If someone dares to mention Christianity or the IRA on one of the regular Muslim bashing threads following an event that may or may not be a terrorist attack there will be 10 replies about how that's obviously not the same thing and the mere comparison is outrageous.

Start a thread about the Proud Boys being a terrorist organisation and over half the posts are crying about antifa.

Proof if any was needed that this forum is fast becoming a right wing shíthole.

It's funny though, there's quite a few names missing in this thread, are they on lunch or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Canada :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Canada :rolleyes:

Yes, them with their commons sense government and normal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

It's amazing whenever the proud boys are brought up in any thread online how quickly the thread descends into a mass of bad faith whataboutery.
    It's almost like it's a standard and directed play to muddy waters, deflect attention or sow negativity and bad feeling.

Proud boys are a bunch of sad useful losers whose reach stretches from the virtual world to the real. All of it negative.
    I mean seriously, the charter of membership (or whatever they call it); its just about the sadest ****ing thing any non lonely reject could ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

.. I have news for you, you're a fascist!

Who isn't these days ?

Advertisement