Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud Boys declared Terrorist Organisation by Canada *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Majority of sane people just don't want to see fascist terrorism sprout up and to live in a society where violent attacks are carried out against minority groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The British government didn't outlaw the UDA until into the 90s even though everyone knew they were a terrorist outfit, just because the UDA used a covername for their illegal activities. It suited the British to have them do dirty work for the British state

Interesting to see an American government doing the same. Also interesting to see people stupid enough to think that a lack of central leadership precludes a group from being classed as terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And the US' neighbour and closest ally just officially designated one of them a terrorist designation - hence, this thread.

Got any thoughts on that?
    That you didn't mention Canada in the title. Did you perhaps think it was the US that designated Proud Boys terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm just after remembering that it was Canada where Antifa members were harassing an old woman, calling her a Nazi.

Obviously not terrorism, but absolute scumbag behavior.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

sure if Canada declares them terrorists, so what, the may well be but not the kind we worry about, global terrorist I mean. It's the Canadians rowing in to be progressive.....you been treudoooowed!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

biko wrote: »
    That you didn't mention Canada in the title. Did you perhaps think it was the US that designated Proud Boys terrorists?
    Why would I list the specific country in the thread title, when my original post made it explicitly clear where this happened and has the word 'Canada' in it a half dozen times? Did you not read the OP?

So again, what are you thoughts on Canada designating the Proud Boys as an organisation, now that you're in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

A quick google shows me that the only places calling him the leader of antifa in Ireland are a Facebook page that likes ALL CAPS (always a sure sign of sane, unbiased reporting) and a website for the Irish Freedom Party.

I don't know anything about the guy, so can't say.

Wonder if he's sued those people for claiming he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

RandRuns wrote: »

For someone who claims not to know anything about anything, you have plenty to say about it all, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

RandRuns wrote: »

Wonder if he's sued those people for claiming he is?

He probably won't bother as everyone knows it's an extremely small number of people dumb enough to believe what anything those types of people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

yoke wrote: »
    Total bollox. Have you even been to America?

The cities I stayed in were far more multicultural and felt far safer than any of the small rural places I visited. Far more welcoming of foreigners too.

And the cities were far more prosperous (“despite” being multicultural, thus refuting your claim) than the countryside in general. The further you went out to the country, the poorer people got.

Of course there were bad areas in cities where people advised me not to go, and I saw them anyway. And yes they were mostly black areas like Compton. But the reasons for them being poor were bloody obvious, and it had nothing to do with the population’s skin colour, but that’s another discussion.

Yet most of Americas most dangerous cities are multicultural. Even looking at the data, Americas safest states are some of the least multicultural like Maine, Vermont & Utah.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Yet most of Americans most dangerous cities are multicultural.

Most Americans also drink water and eat food. Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Yet most of Americans most dangerous cities are multicultural.

Big cities tend to be dangerous and multicultural. They are not dangerous because they are multicultural.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Thread locked for review, will be reopened later

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Ok I've just deleted over 100 posts of absolute nonsense, whataboutery, outright trolling and bickering back and forth.

Thread title is amended to reflect the correct nature of the article in the OP.

RandRuns - don't post in this thread again.

I'm reopening this under the very strict measures to stay on topic. If you want to talk about antifa or BLM or ISIS or some other organisation that is NOT the Proud Boys (which is the very subject of this thread) - post in the relevant thread or start one on the topic.

If a poster tries to derail a thread with the above, don't give them the oxygen of discussion - report and the mods will deal with it.

Threadbans and forum sanctions will follow for people who cannot follow these directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I can't understand why anyone in Europe would give a toss about these "proud boys" anyhow. Nothing to do with us either way.

Let me guess. Some Irish **** will copy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yet most of Americas most dangerous cities are multicultural. Even looking at the data, Americas safest states are some of the least multicultural like Maine, Vermont & Utah.

Goes back to inequality.
    Ireland was predominately white when we'd high crime and heroin during the eighties. The Hutches and Kinahans aren't Nigerian.
    It's socio-economically driven. Poor/low income sections of society commit most blue collar crime. Minorities tend to be poor/low income. Not that straight forward but that's the gist.

The Proud boys are the epitome of white privilege in that they are white and worried equality will damage their perceived lives. I say perceived because white supremacists tend to believe everything would be hunky dory if not for them foreigners or the blacks in general. And I think at the back of it, Trump and others are delighted these gombeens look at people often in the same boat as themselves rather than the top tier of political decision and money makers.

The Proud boys are the epitome of white privilege in that they are white

Apart from the ones that aren't?

Man, criticism of proud boys for some of their members actions is absolutely understandable, but calling them white supremacists or exclusively white, when they are demonstrably not is absurd and arguing in bad faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Goes back to inequality.
    Ireland was predominately white when we'd high crime and heroin during the eighties. The Hutches and Kinahans aren't Nigerian.
    It's socio-economically driven. Poor/low income sections of society commit most blue collar crime. Minorities tend to be poor/low income. Not that straight forward but that's the gist.

I'm going to need to some serious proof that Ireland had high crime rates in the 80s

Extend that to Ireland having a heroin problem in the 80s rather than just parts of Dublin having a heroin problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Edz87 wrote: »
    Are those black Henri Lloyd polos terrorism too? Would hate to be sponsoring terrorism by wearing my one out and about.

Leave your assault rifle and body armour at home and you will be fine.

Edz87 wrote: »
    Are those black Henri Lloyd polos terrorism too? Would hate to be sponsoring terrorism by wearing my one out and about.
    Not on its own no. You need 3 lions and "Born in England" tattoos to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Man, criticism of proud boys for some of their members actions is absolutely understandable, but calling them white supremacists or exclusively white, when they are demonstrably not is absurd and arguing in bad faith.
    The Canadian government has gone with neo fascist, rather than simply white supremacist.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cntr-trrrsm/lstd-ntts/crrnt-lstd-ntts-en.aspx#510
    The Proud Boys is a neo-fascist organization that engages in political violence and was formed in 2016. Members of the group espouse misogynistic, Islamophobic, anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, and/or white supremacist ideologies and associate with white supremacist groups. The Proud Boys consists of semi-autonomous chapters located in the United States (U.S.), Canada, and internationally. The group and its members have openly encouraged, planned, and conducted violent activities against those they perceive to be opposed to their ideology and political beliefs. The group regularly attends Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests as counter-protesters, often engaging in violence targeting BLM supporters. On January 6, 2021, the Proud Boys played a pivotal role in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Leaders of the group planned their participation by setting out objectives, issuing instructions, and directing members during the insurrection. The leader of the Proud Boys was arrested two days before the insurrection as part of a stated effort by U.S. law enforcement to apprehend individuals who were planning to travel to the D.C. area with intentions to cause violence.

Sadly we have some minorities who have their own reasons for supporting white supremacist and fascist groups. I can't speak to their motives. They exist, sure. The Japanese supported the Nazis in WW2, we have blacks and gays supporting fascist groups and against equality. We'd that Greek right winger/anti gay chap caught leaving a gay orgy only a few months back. The world is complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The world is complex.

Yeah. Is hard sometimes to get exactly the right label for a group of people.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Yeah. Is hard sometimes to get exactly the right label for a group of people.

Not when they have an organised hierarchy, funding and a uniform which they use to counter the democratic process and any moves toward equality or calling out of racism. Speak for themselves really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

Sadly we have some minorities who have their own reasons for supporting white supremacist and fascist groups. I can't speak to their motives. They exist, sure. The Japanese supported the Nazis in WW2, we have blacks and gays supporting fascist groups and against equality. We'd that Greek right winger/anti gay chap caught leaving a gay orgy only a few months back. The world is complex.

Useful idiots is the phrase which springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Masculinity is in decline:

https://www.urologytimes.com/view/testosterone-levels-show-steady-decrease-among-young-us-men

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/environment-fish-changing-sex-gender-chemicals-pollution-rivers-water-charles-tyler-fisheries-society-symposium-a7821086.html

High paying jobs now require sitting at a desk under artificial lights, among other environmental conditions that weaken mens health. IQs are dropping ...as manifested by woke religion.

Is it any wonder groups spring up advocating for men. Inevitably these groups will eventually attract a certain element, but they started off with good intentions.

I suppose its a bit like those leftie groups ..except with more valid concerns than pronouns and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wes wrote: »
    Fascists', want to kill all non-white people.

Anti-fascists, are against that.

Somehow, some people who are totally not fascists themselves, think these 2 are the same some how.

Any reasonable person is ant-fascist, it is not an organization. You can no more declare anti-fascism a terrorist group, then you can declare fascism a terrorist group. Now you can declare specific groups like the proud boys terrorists, as they are an organization that has openly engaged in political violence for several years. If someone is angry about them being rightly declared a terrorist group, then its clear they have sympathies towards this terrorist group, and again if you are against anti-fascism, then you are a fascist.

what happens if occasionally one is a little late in reading the daily " twitterati " and the boundaries of " anti fascism " doctrine have been further extended ?

according to many " anti fascists " , expressing any kind of doubt about the legitimacy of a percentage of asylum seekers makes one a " fascist " ?

to other so called " anti fascists " , being opposed to giving puberty blockers to kids makes one a " fascist " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭briany

Mad_maxx wrote: »

according to many " anti fascists " , expressing any kind of doubt about the legitimacy of a percentage of asylum seekers makes one a " fascist "

A cohort of vocal people might take that view, and if you gathered them all together, they may form a large crowd of people, but they would still be a tiny percentage of all those people who would say they are against Fascism, and so their views and method of expressing them wouldn't be representative.

But it's a tactic those on the extreme of the other end of the political spectrum like to use, to try and portray those cancel culture crusaders as the voice of the left. This is nonsense. And those who do it will try to say they're the rationalists coming from a position of common sense. This is nonsense also. My suspicion is that they would also dismiss any reference to Fascism as hyperbole, even if there were groups of armed men marching up and down the street in brown shirts, giving a Nazi salute. Obviously, this is just a pastiche or lads letting off steam in ironic way to 'trigger' the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

briany wrote: »
    A cohort of vocal people might take that view, and if you gathered them all together, they may form a large crowd of people, but they would still be a tiny percentage of all those people who would say they are against Fascism, and so their views and method of expressing them wouldn't be representative.

But it's a tactic those on the extreme of the other end of the political spectrum like to use, to try and portray those cancel culture crusaders as the voice of the left. This is nonsense. And those who do it will try to say they're the rationalists coming from a position of common sense. This is nonsense also. My suspicion is that they would also dismiss any reference to Fascism as hyperbole, even if there were groups of armed men marching up and down the street in brown shirts, giving a Nazi salute. Obviously, this is just a pastiche or lads letting off steam in ironic way to 'trigger' the left.

i read the Canadian government press release - text

most of it could easily apply to ANTIFA

violent towards those who dont share their ideology etc

Proud Boys are zero watt bulb morons but that doesnt make them " terrorists "

like i said , they are no more terrorists than ANTIFA are

the " anti fascist " label is much much more than merely being opposed to Fascism , the vast majority of people in Ireland dont have any time for fascism but they also dont wish to hang the " anti fascist " label on themselves , its an entirely loaded handle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biker79 wrote: »
    Masculinity is in decline:

https://www.urologytimes.com/view/testosterone-levels-show-steady-decrease-among-young-us-men

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/environment-fish-changing-sex-gender-chemicals-pollution-rivers-water-charles-tyler-fisheries-society-symposium-a7821086.html

High paying jobs now require sitting at a desk under artificial lights, among other environmental conditions that weaken mens health. IQs are dropping ...as manifested by woke religion.

Is it any wonder groups spring up advocating for men. Inevitably these groups will eventually attract a certain element, but they started off with good intentions.

I suppose its a bit like those leftie groups ..except with more valid concerns than pronouns and the like.
    I don’t think artificial lighting is the problem lol, had artificial lighting for over a century. Did coal miners only use the best organic light?

Advertisement