Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike insurance

Options
  • 05-02-2021 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi there, I am a newbie and in the process of getting licence etc. I am looking at a CB500 and I can't get any info from insurers about whether I can get covered until I get my licence sorted so they can run it thru their systems. would anyone know is there any reason why I couldn't get insured? it looks like a great bike, and I'd love to get it and just look at it for a few months while everything else is getting sorted. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Good stuff getting on the road. Its tedious but the only way to know for sure would be contacting the different companies:

Principle
    Axa
    Carole Nash
    Liberty - These have an online quote function- it will give you some idea of a quote.

- https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/IFI/publicviewclient.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emily McCullagh

thanks I'll give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

hi there, I am a newbie and in the process of getting licence etc. I am looking at a CB500 and I can't get any info from insurers about whether I can get covered until I get my licence sorted so they can run it thru their systems. would anyone know is there any reason why I couldn't get insured? it looks like a great bike, and I'd love to get it and just look at it for a few months while everything else is getting sorted. thanks in advance.

Hi Emily, welcome!!! I was in your boat around August time, newbie and got myself a CMX500. Managed to get 2 quotes, one of Carole Nash and a second one of Principal, however Principal wouldn't actually insure me unless I put an alarm on the bike so in the end I had little choice other than Carole Nash. Paperwork and all that was pretty painless and they got everything organised really quick.
    Happy riding, I find it liberating to go on spins and really enjoying it!:)

hmm, I guess you had your licence before you went looking to buy a bike? I'm getting nowhere fast, pardon the pun

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

hmm, I guess you had your license before you went looking to buy a bike? I'm getting nowhere fast, pardon the pun

They should be able to quote you regardless,

I'm assuming your just getting a Lerner Permit?

When I rang around for quotes on my first bike, I just told them I had a learner permit and they were able to give me a quote.

They didn't need a license number or anything to get the quote, maybe its different if you are younger,

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Find a bike on donedeal, use reg and spec call and ask what a quote would be.

Obviously do your homework on the power rating so that it's suitable for test and licence required etc....

Find a bike on donedeal, use reg and spec call and ask what a quote would be.

Obviously do your homework on the power rating so that it's suitable for test and licence required etc....

Funnily enough when I rang a few places and gave them the reg they didn't want to even know, they just wanted the engine cc.

I assumed it was done like cars that they get all the info from the Reg Number.

ok thanks guys, I'll try that!

robbie_63 wrote: »
    They should be able to quote you regardless,

I'm assuming your just getting a Lerner Permit?

When I rang around for quotes on my first bike, I just told them I had a learner permit and they were able to give me a quote.

They didn't need a license number or anything to get the quote, maybe its different if you are younger,

Rob

thanks, I'll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

IMHO, you're putting the cart before the horse. Get your license and complete your IBT, then buy a bike. You have no experience at this stage, once the IBT is done you'll have some idea of what you're looking for in a bike and your IBT instructor can guide you too. If I was starting again from scratch, I would do it in this order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

zubair wrote: »
    IMHO, you're putting the cart before the horse. Get your license and complete your IBT, then buy a bike. You have no experience at this stage, once the IBT is done you'll have some idea of what you're looking for in a bike and your IBT instructor can guide you too. If I was starting again from scratch, I would do it in this order.

I'd definitely recommend this!
    Keep trying to tell a friend that is what they should do.
    Primarily as they can't even ride a bicycle, and yet want to buy a motorcycle before even doing the IBT

zubair wrote: »

That's good advice,

A mate of mine done his IBT last year but could only pass it on a 125 bike as he had no experience on a bike at all and wasn't comfortable on the 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2wheelsor42020

Similar boat to yourself regarding insurance. Havn't bought a bike yet but was looking at a cbf600 and had reg details and all, I'm on a learner permit myself and it will be my first bike policy. Liberty wouldn't quote me, AXA would only insure if I did their driver test (didn't know you needed to do this as I thought the IBT was for this purpose), only reasonable quotes were through principal and Carol Nash who were providing through AXA anyway. Try them all anyway and see what knowledge you can gain from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

Similar boat to yourself regarding insurance. Havn't bought a bike yet but was looking at a cbf600 and had reg details and all, I'm on a learner permit myself and it will be my first bike policy. Liberty wouldn't quote me, AXA would only insure if I did their driver test (didn't know you needed to do this as I thought the IBT was for this purpose), only reasonable quotes were through principal and Carol Nash who were providing through AXA anyway. Try them all anyway and see what knowledge you can gain from them.

Some instructors are certified to do the Axa one on top of the IBT.
    All it means is someone who's done their standard of training can assure them that you didn't just fluke the IBT.

Its the same as some of the random certifications you get for participating, but jobs don't bother with anyway.

Advertisement