Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting bike outside 5kms

Options
  • 05-02-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Would collecting my bike from a relative outside the 5km be deemed essential? It's not my "fast" bike but one I actually use around town with child seat and I could do with it lately. Talking about 25 kms away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Imagine:
    - you stopped at the side of the road, explaining the need to collect a bicycle outside your radius to a Garda
    - the Garda has a relative/friend/colleague suffering with covid/in hospital/in ICU

Can you justify it to yourself that your journey is essential, considering that you already have a car and the means to get about for work/childcare/groceries.

Or you accept that your runabout bike would be preferable to the car though unessential, and you need to convince the GS that it is an essential journey.

Not being judgemental here; generally it's not an essential journey. But in your specific circumstances, travel by bike may be safer or far more practical than by car within your 5km. And therefore justifiable - you honestly believe that you cannot dispense with your runabout bike and you just need to convince the GS.

Examples:
    - if your family car was a taxi or other vehicle that carried a significant covid risk, then having a second mode of transport that is not exposed to covid, I would consider essential.
    - if your 5km where you do most of your driving, is gridlocked, or has no parking for most of the times that you are out and about, then I would consider the bike essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Good holy **** I actually can't believe that response. Hysteria.

OP - yes, its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you consider it an essential journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

a148pro wrote: »
    Good holy **** I actually can't believe that response. Hysteria.

OP - yes, its fine.

You've changed your tune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

The reasons that are allowed for travel are listed here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions.

The possible fine for traveling without a reasonable excuse is €100, https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/coronavirus-covid-19-.html

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You've changed your tune :)

Have I? I'd be cycling in Majorca if I had my choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Worst can happen is a €100 fine. But really you'll probably just be turned back, unless you get lippy, then it'll be a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your allowed over the 5km for shopping. Could they meet you at the nearest shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my gut reaction would be to ring your local garda station and ask.
    if you explained it's the one with a child seat, i.e. not one whose functionality that you can easily replicate with anything but a child seat, i suspect they'd be reasonable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

You would of been over and back a couple of times since opening this thread and nobody would of known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

If bike shops are deemed essential services in Ireland, I can't see the difference between travelling 25km to collect a bike from family, and collecting a bike from a shop.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-5/

Did your relative fix the bike for you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gaffmaster wrote: »
    If bike shops are deemed essential services in Ireland
    well, grocery shopping is an essential activity, but not if you drove from limerick to cork to do it.
    the issue is no-one here can say for certain whether the garda who stops you at a checkpoint would agree that collecting a bike is essential. i'd be extremely surprised if the garda took issue, at worst they'd probably give you a bit of a talking to and send you home.

It doesn't specify what type of shopping if you consider it essential it is, tbh I don't think there's many people putting any heed to the 5k rule, the roads are busy really noticed the extra traffic this week. Not a guard in sight heard it's different near some city's but the rest of the country seems to be motoring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... But really you'll probably just be turned back...
    That would be awkward on the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Plenty of examples here of ‘rules/guidelines are for others - I’m an exception’. That’s why we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I was stopped recently and when I explained to the Garda that I was on the way to pick up a car part they told me to go ahead. I think this would be much the same. I'm on the road 30 - 40 hrs per week and most people are just waved through checkpoints after a brief chat.

The same, I've been stopped twice since March last year, I don't think it's your average person just going about their business they want to catch. The garda twitter is testament to it, the amount of drink/drug driving/no insurance/banned drivers etc they seem to be catching must be at record levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... and most people are just waved through checkpoints after a brief chat.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I think AGS are doing a good job and have a common sense approach to this pandemic and the "vague" nature of the restrictions..... I travel a lot for work and I don't see much zeal from Gardai in stopping normal activity....

TGD wrote: »
    Plenty of examples here of ‘rules/guidelines are for others - I’m an exception’. That’s why we are where we are.

No it isn't.

We are where we are because people mixed with other people inside.

Do you think belmullet got to number one in the world because of people going to collect bikes outside their 5k? Or, God forbid, going cycling or for a walk in a forest or a hike outside their 5k?

If people obeyed micheal's guidance for a meaningful Christmas they would have exposed their loved ones to significantly increased risk of covid and that is exactly why we are where we are.

You won't read that in the media though.

Let's focus on lads going for a walk or cycle in the mountains, or on holidays instead. They're the real enemy.

I've broken the 5k liberally since the beginning, always alone or with one other person, because there is just no scientific justification for it. I will continue to do so. It keeps me sane. I get my fix of the outdoors and it keeps me going.

On the other hand I haven't been inside with my parents since March. I had Christmas with my mother in law having finished work as early as possible, avoided all others including cancelling dinners out, and then paid for a private test to ensure it was safe, or as safe as we could make it. That's one of 6 tests i've paid for in the last three months in order to protect her or others.

So me going for a cycle or hill walk to try and keep it all together is emphatically not the problem. It's flat earth stuff blaming us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Your completely missing the point, just like in Belmullet your bending the rules to suit yourself and making excuses.

The part i don't get though is why you feel the need to come on here and brag about breaking the 5km rules when a lot of people are sticking to it and low and below there still sane.

Just because you don't understand the logic does not equate to it not being good.

Honestly why bother posting when you have no respect for those obeying the rules. As you say yourself if we all follow the advice then we'll get through this quicker. But sure your different so go ahead and continue break the 5km rule.

a148pro wrote: »
    No it isn't.

We are where we are because people mixed with other people inside.

Do you think belmullet got to number one in the world because of people going to collect bikes outside their 5k? Or, God forbid, going cycling or for a walk in a forest or a hike outside their 5k?

If people obeyed micheal's guidance for a meaningful Christmas they would have exposed their loved ones to significantly increased risk of covid and that is exactly why we are where we are.

You won't read that in the media though.

Let's focus on lads going for a walk or cycle in the mountains, or on holidays instead. They're the real enemy.

I've broken the 5k liberally since the beginning, always alone or with one other person, because there is just no scientific justification for it. I will continue to do so. It keeps me sane. I get my fix of the outdoors and it keeps me going.

On the other hand I haven't been inside with my parents since March. I had Christmas with my mother in law having finished work as early as possible, avoided all others including cancelling dinners out, and then paid for a private test to ensure it was safe, or as safe as we could make it. That's one of 6 tests i've paid for in the last three months in order to protect her or others.

So me going for a cycle or hill walk to try and keep it all together is emphatically not the problem. It's flat earth stuff blaming us.

gonna close this thread - i think everyone has set out their stall, and at this point no one is going to change their mind, they've had enough time to weigh up the various options. the OP can make their own decision at this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement