Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car but old one due NCT

Options
  • 05-02-2021 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Ok,

So I am in the market for a new car but seeing as we are in a lockdown I can't actually go into a dealer and have a look take for a test drive etc, but my NCT is due since end of January booked for March but my car is a 2008 volvo s40 so has very little value and I dont fancy paying for a service and new tyres when I will be getting rid of it as soon as the country opens up? any advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your own car is worth very little to a dealer so they will probably give you a conservative trade-in value based off what they think they might get for it from the trade but won't need to physically see the car for that. They might ask you to send a few photos alright to see what condition the bodywork is in other than that they probably won't care.

Have you contacted any dealers yet, they are still open and answering phones/emails? Most dealerships are doing click and collect where there is very little contact between staff and customers outside of maybe signing documents. They will usually send you a personal video or may even arrange a contactless test drive for you (i.e. the car will be waiting for you at the dealership). Is it a brand new car or second hand car you are looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does your old car need new tyres?
    Maybe spend the 55 euro and get it through the NCT and sell privately with a fresh NCT (provided it passes).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you'll sell it quicker with an NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

fryup wrote: »
    you'll sell it quicker with an NCT

Even with a dealer?

biko wrote: »
    Does your old car need new tyres?
    Maybe spend the 55 euro and get it through the NCT and sell privately with a fresh NCT (provided it passes).

At least 2 I'd say

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your own car is worth very little to a dealer so they will probably give you a conservative trade-in value based off what they think they might get for it from the trade but won't need to physically see the car for that. They might ask you to send a few photos alright to see what condition the bodywork is in other than that they probably won't care.

Have you contacted any dealers yet, they are still open and answering phones/emails? Most dealerships are doing click and collect where there is very little contact between staff and customers outside of maybe signing documents. They will usually send you a personal video or may even arrange a contactless test drive for you (i.e. the car will be waiting for you at the dealership). Is it a brand new car or second hand car you are looking at?

Yeah but with the 5km restrictions I don't have much option, I'd like to be able to sit in a car and drive it before buying, buying used

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Most dealers are still open if you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even with a dealer?

It’s worth more with an NCT either way. I wouldn’t spend anything on a service, and same with tyres.

• I'm in a similar boat OP.

Looking to purchase but definitely want to take it for a spin which dealer says isn't possible at the moment. The only thing holding up a handshake is the test drive.

I am getting a very generous scrappage deal under the proviso the car is NCT'd. The scrappage is considerably more than I thought I'd get or would get if I sold it privately.

NCT has been up since end of January but booked in for about ten days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

At least 2 I'd say

If you did the NCT and all that was required was two tyres and you had fail sheet to prove it that might even be enough to move it on

• Advertisement
Advertisement