Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse road Ballyphehane

Options
  • 05-02-2021 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

A family member is moving to pearse road in Ballyphehane next month, has anyone the low-down on the area? Is it safe to walk around at night/early morning?

I drove through earlier and there was a fight going on in the square by the shop with a group of young males breaking glass and roaring.

A quick Google brings up some bad articles about recent events there so wondering should they be concerned about areas to avoid, walking to work etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Just the shopping precinct area is a bit rough. It's very quiet past the church heading towards Turners Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

I often jog around there, often late in the evenings. I would consider it very safe. Thirty years ago it was a different story. The usual caution is necessary but that’s true of every part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grand area.
    Teens can get up to shananagens in any area. In fact, some of the worst carry on lately has been in, so called, "nice" areas.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Grand area.
    Teens can get up to shananagens in any area. In fact, some of the worst carry on lately has been in, so called, "nice" areas.

Wasn't there a gang fight last April at the square there? Knives and bats. Some guy stabbed.

I live nearby and certainly the square stands out as a rougher spot in the area.

Wasn't there a gang fight last April at the square there? Knives and bats. Some guy stabbed.

I live nearby and certainly the square stands out as a rougher spot in the area.

Didn't hear about that.
    Young fella stabbed in Douglas, too, and gangs running amok. Can happen anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Ya there is always stuff going on around the square. Aside from that Ballyphehane is absolutely grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

I live around the corner at the Lough and would echo the previous comments. The square can be rough at times with young lads but 99.9% of the time ballyphehane is a grand area to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

The Square is a handy location and has a decent Spar and a pharmacy as well as a take-away - but with the messing that goes on there, I wouldn't stop if I was passing.

It's a shame that the businesses lose out on trade....

The rest of Ballyphehane is absolutely fine and will see a bit of regeneration in the next few years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

It’s only the square, everywhere else is grand. Now if it was the Northside that’s different, Ballyphehane is a lovely area. If you google anywhere in Cork you’ll find negativity if you go looking for it, even the upper class parts.

It's A1 grand, don't let the square worry you unless you intend living immediately adjacent to it and even at that it's relatively a non issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

You'd want to be living some sheltered life if you think that place is bad.

yenom wrote: »
    You'd want to be living some sheltered life if you think that place is bad.

To be fair, if you drove through an area for the first time and saw, fighting and bottle smashing as the op, did, you just might form negative views of that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

bot43 wrote: »
    Ya there is always stuff going on around the square. Aside from that Ballyphehane is absolutely grand.

My aunts family grew up near there aside from the square no real issues, the hane is well settled by now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Quirkies pub in the square was a notorious scumbag hangout, has that changed management?

The Kerry chap who had it when it was called Quirkies is no longer at the helm. It's back being called Noel Murphy's again.......... while it was closed some of the patrons went to The Harp and did not return when Noel's reopened.
    It's still much the same as it always was, some very nice folk in there, although some folk who used to be regular there have moved away from the area also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Augeo wrote: »
    The Kerry chap who had it when it was called Quirkies is no longer at the helm. It's back being called Noel Murphy's again.......... while it was closed some of the patrons went to The Harp and did not return when Noel's reopened.
    It's still much the same as it always was, some very nice folk in there, although some folk who used to be regular there have moved away from the area also.
    Not great, was full of heads etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've family on pearse road, its grand seems fairly quiet to me. 2 of my friends live behind the square too, never any complaints. Ballyphehane on a whole is a fine area. That square with the shop always has something going on there to be honest but its only kids, years ago the pub there was an awful scum magnet but its shed that clientele.

I'd happily live anywhere in the Hane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Hane is a great spot. Grew up there , many moons ago. The square is a bit rough but in general, it's a great location. Good bus service to town, next to the link and the Lough. No where is perfect but it is not like it was 30 years ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Lived in the Hane almost all my life before moving a few years back. Loved the area, loved the people, it’s ten minutes from anywhere you want to go. Plenty on your doorstep too. Pearse Square can look a little rough around the edges alright (you’d love to see the council invest some money in the square and do it up, more lighting etc) and there can be groups of young people hanging around, but I never once had any issue walking past when they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Barties chipper is there 👍

• Advertisement
Advertisement