Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not submitting statement of liability

• 06-02-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Recently logged into to ROS to check what i might owe for 4 weeks of being on the PUP, checked the statement of liability and it seems i also had an income tax underpayment of nearly €2000 which came as quite a shock.

I use onenof the tax rebate websites every year and they advised me to simply ignore the statement of liability and to not submit it, there by avoiding the €2000 income tax underpayment

Is that correct? I mean surely revenue will come knocking for their underpayment of tax??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure officially but unofficially, if you don't submit it, you might get away with it but be prepared not to submit for the next 3 years so that it drops off the system and you don't get audited.

This is based on what it used to be like years ago, but I presume nothing else has changed or else they would simply do everyones automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm not sure officially but unofficially, if you don't submit it, you might get away with it but be prepared not to submit for the next 3 years so that it drops off the system and you don't get audited.

This is based on what it used to be like years ago, but I presume nothing else has changed or else they would simply do everyones automatically.
    Thats what i assumed, as in the way the old P21 balancing statement worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

What do you mean by “submit it”?

It’s issued by revenue and the liability will stay on your account.

If you don’t make arrangements to pay it, Revenue will most likely reduce your credits to recoup the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much what I said, on the P21 you had to submit or get flagged for audit, otherwise whether you owed money or they owed you money, nothing happened. I'm not sure about the new system but my experience so far has been that unless I view and submit, I don't get refunded any overpaid, or a request for underpaid tax. Like I said though, not sure if it happens automatically with the new system, as in they've deemed mic12345 owes €2000 unless he amends to give different info. This said, maybe he has already started the ball rolling, I've always submitted so no idea what happens if you don't other than years ago when my partner realised she had overpaid tax for years but could only go back 4.

Advertisement