Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit interest

• 06-02-2021 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi I just realised im paying €70 each month in debit interest on a loan Iv taking out.

Should I be paying this amount and if so why.

My monthly repayment is €177 for 5 years plus each month I’m been charged €70 in debit interest. The bank is TSB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You say you're paying €177 p.m. plus €70 p.m. interest.

How much did you borrow and can you confirm that €247 is your total monthly repayment?

On a quick calculation, €247 would be the monthly repayment on a €12,000 loan over 5 years at 9% APR. The monthly interest would start high, at €86 in month 1 and would have reduced to €70 (the number you quoted) by month 14. That's for a loan with a reducing balance where the interest is applied monthly, some loans have the interest front loaded so the numbers would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerrytony77

Yes I’m €247 on average. It goes up and down maybe 2 or 3 € each month.

I took out only €8000 over 5 years. And I have a direct debit set up for €177.14 each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who was the loan with, seems insane rates. Have you taken out some kind of protection cover with it?

€8000 with AIB is €164 a month, total repay amount would be €9840
    Yours is working out at total repay amount of €14820.

It’s with TSB. Interest rate is meant to be 11%. Can’t get on to the bank at all about it.

Surely it’s an over charging, would I be able to reclaim this I’m wondering

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you sure you're being charged 70 on top of the 170 payment? It looks like your figures add up. 170ish payment which includes 70ish interest. But you shouldn't be charged another 70 on top of that.

Open this link to see how much you would pay monthly for a 8,000, 5-year loan with a 11% interest rate: https://www.amortization-calc.com/loan-calculator/8000-11000-5-1-2021-2/

• Advertisement

See attached a screenshot 542305.jpeg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

See attached a screenshot 542305.jpeg

Ok, that's normal. The 70 interest is being added to the balance and then your 170 payment reduces the balance by 170 euro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It’s with TSB. Interest rate is meant to be 11%. Can’t get on to the bank at all about it.

Surely it’s an over charging, would I be able to reclaim this I’m wondering

If you signed the loan agreement at 11% how is that overcharging?

If you can't get the bank on the phone, go to a branch, that is essential business so is allowed.

Yes I’m €247 on average. It goes up and down maybe 2 or 3 € each month.

I took out only €8000 over 5 years. And I have a direct debit set up for €177.14 each month.

You're confused, there is no €247, the monthly repayment of €177.14 includes interest. The monthly interest reduces as the balance on the principal reduces. So each month, you are paying progressively less interest and more capital.

The bank calculates interest daily but only accrues it (adds it to the visible balance) each month. Some months are longer than others so there will be small variations, that's why you're seeing the monthly interest fluctuate by 2 or 3 euros.

By my reckoning, the monthly interest after one year would be of the order of 68-69 so I figure you were a year into the loan at the end of 2020, based on the numbers in the screenshot you posted.

I calculate the APR on that loan at 12.5%

Edit: I just checked on the pTSB website, they quoted me repayments of 177.15 p.m. for a loan of 8,000 over 5 years and they say the APR is 12.5%

But I’m paying more so than I should be €10628

What will I end up paying now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

That’s why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

In the simplest terms of the €177 you're paying back a little over 100 is going towards the loan and the rest is going towards the interest.

Look at the monthly capital (balance of loan) that you posted.
    Goes down by just over 100 a month.
    This amount should rise a little as there's less and less interest to pay.

Your total will end up around that €10,600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you're paying €70 interest, then this is month 5 of your loan.

Next month it will be €69 and it will reduce by about €1.10 every month until it's paid off.

Basically the bank calculates interest on the balance you owe on a monthly basis, but they work out an average payment so you are paying the same every month.

https://www.amortization-calc.com/loan-calculator/

You’re not paying ‘more’, you’re paying the correct amount.

The monthly repayment of 177.14 will pay off the loan. You are looking at the monthly interest and think that that will have to be paid on top of 177.14 Which is not correct.

Thanks I understand it now. When I looked at the app I seen it as. Bank takes €177 from me then adds back €70 on to my loan.

So I’m still basically repaying €177.14 x 60= €10628.40 cost of credit €2628.4.

I had it worked out in my head €177.14 plus debit interest €70 x60=€14828.4 with cost of credit € 6828.40 which is plus 85% of original loan of €8000

Advertisement