Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a piano?

• 06-02-2021 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

HI! I have a KWAI piano. Paid 6k for it, but 4 years later offered 4k. My children don't use it, and have moved way for college. It's a lovely piano. We''ve had it 5 years. I was always afraid with their sneaky parties, that someone would put a cigarette burn mark on it, or spill bear on it - the guitars didn't survive the paties, but the piano has survived intact. I am now thinking of selling it, but the guy we bought it from is offering me 2k less. Reasons for selling, they don't use it anymore, and didn't carry piano on beyond Grade 5, however, my daughter thinks she may go on to do her Diploma in Piano at some stage, but that could be years, as she would have to do 2 more Grades and then her Diploma and she is in college full-time doing science. All the time the piano has been here I have always been worried about things spilling on it, it being damaged etc. We had a digital piano before this one, and I never had the same kind of concerns as it had only cost 900 euros. Now that the children have moved away to college, I rent some rooms in my house, and I cam down one morning to see an empty beer galls on top of the piano, and smudges on the keys where someone had obviously had a pizza or chips and decided to play the piano. I put a notice on it after that. Anyway, what do people do with pianos once their children no longer play, do you sell them, keep them etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

sadly the market for used pianos is not exactly buoyant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Took a sledgehammer to ours, what a great afternoon that was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

seems like a fair offer

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

HI!

Thanks for all the replies. They were very helpful in my decision to sell. I have now accepted the offer. The company I bought the piano from is buying it back. I asked the person did they want to come and see it's condition, but they said no, that they knew I would keep it well - I found this strange! They are collecting the piano at the end of next week. They want my bank details to transfer the money, but I would not be happy for them to transfer the money after they collected the piano, in case I had to chase them for it, but they're not happy to transfer it beforehand, that is the day before, or a couple of hours before they collect it, so I think the deal may be scuppered. What do I do in this circumstance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you want them to pay, unseen, before they collect?

If I was them, I'd let you walk away. your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hannaho wrote: »
    HI!

Thanks for all the replies. They were very helpful in my decision to sell. I have now accepted the offer. The company I bought the piano from is buying it back. I asked the person did they want to come and see it's condition, but they said no, that they knew I would keep it well - I found this strange! They are collecting the piano at the end of next week. They want my bank details to transfer the money, but I would not be happy for them to transfer the money after they collected the piano, in case I had to chase them for it, but they're not happy to transfer it beforehand, that is the day before, or a couple of hours before they collect it, so I think the deal may be scuppered. What do I do in this circumstance?

Get them to do the transfer when they collect it. If it's before IIRC 3pm you should have the money that day, after 3pm it'll be in your account the next day. With SEPA they can't take the money back so won't transfer to you before seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks, Del2005 - just afraid they will take the piano, and I won't get paid for ages.

Martinedwards - I offered for them to come and see the piano - it's their problem if they didn't want to do so.

Advertisement