Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Breeds

• 06-02-2021 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

What would be your preferred dairy breed? pros and cons of each breed also
    British friesian will be the most common I assume

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Must be very hard to get an actual BF cow now that’s not been crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Ford4life wrote: »
    What would be your preferred dairy breed? pros and cons of each breed also
    British friesian will be the most common I assume

You have not yet learnt that in Ireland there is only one dairy breed, the Eebee (EBI), nothing else is relevant or matters.

My preferred would be... I haven't decided yet, I'll just keep crossing 'til I get there... but the one breed I would have in the mix is the Norwegian Red, imho the best at the basics and best all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

British Frisian as they produce better beef carcasses when put to a stock bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You have not yet learnt that in Ireland there is only one dairy breed, the Eebee (EBI), nothing else is relevant or matters.

My preferred would be... I haven't decided yet, I'll just keep crossing 'til I get there... but the one breed I would have in the mix is the Norwegian Red, imho the best at the basics and best all rounder.

How do you find the nr temperament wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

_Brian wrote: »
    Must be very hard to get an actual BF cow now that’s not been crossed.

It certainly is, most have some bit of jersey in them now and youd pay well for a PB one

True, what do you find is so good about the Norwegian red to get you to the EBI you want?

True, what do you find is so good about the Norwegian red to get you to the EBI you want?

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the EBI.
    Any cows I have off genomic high EBI bulls are inferior to their mothers, some I'm even off loading now as 2nd and 3rd calvers.

They have solid proofs, as in "does what it says on the tin".
    What they're good at is staying healthy and trouble free, across the board. The most noticeable differences are walking ability, fertility, lack of digestive issues, and condition score. Funny enough although there's a mastitis index for years I'd say that it's one area they're no better or worse than any other.
    They've as much milk and solids as your average HFr, but would be a few percent back on the high input systems, although if you're going that road, their cousin the Swedish Red is an able performer.

On EBI, the proven NR bulls are as high as proven HFr ie mid 200''s. But some of the conversion figures make no sense sometimes, although that's the way even with Friesians.

whelan2 wrote: »
    How do you find the nr temperament wise?

Very good, but diffetent. I light have to use a kick bar or tie a few heifers for a few weeks every year and it's never breed specific.
    They're bolder than the Holsten, but easily handled, not like Montys! That said some Holsten are docile to the point over being dopey and lethargic, and when something physical goes wrong with them, they lack fizz and fight.

I had a few "emotional" ones in the past but they were all off one or two bulls, and in fairness they'd a good minus for temperament in their proofs.
    Equally so I'd a few cracked hoors from Munster sires from time to time too, the difference is that their proof would give them a positive score for temperament, paper and ink and all that there.
    I've had plenty pets of all breeds too. Funny enough both the quietest and most nervous cows I've had were pure British Friesians.

I'd have very quiet cows in general, I treat them gently enough, and it's a trait I'd value highly in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Very good, but diffetent. I light have to use a kick bar or tie a few heifers for a few weeks every year and it's never breed specific.
    They're bolder than the Holsten, but easily handled, not like Montys! That said some Holsten are docile to the point over being dopey and lethargic, and when something physical goes wrong with them, they lack fizz and fight.

I had a few "emotional" ones in the past but they were all off one or two bulls, and in fairness they'd a good minus for temperament in their proofs.
    Equally so I'd a few cracked hoors from Munster sires from time to time too, the difference is that their proof would give them a positive score for temperament, paper and ink and all that there.
    I've had plenty pets of all breeds too. Funny enough both the quietest and most nervous cows I've had were pure British Friesians.

I'd have very quiet cows in general, I treat them gently enough, and it's a trait I'd value highly in stock.

I'm looking for British friesian calved heifers in March and hopefully let them straight out to grass if anybody knows of heifers for sale. I'm based in Killarney. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

I recently bought a few Fleckveigh x Holstein heifer calves so looking forward to seeing how they turn out compared to the British Fresian. I like Monty's when cross bred and have a few NR's as well. We find the Shorthorn very docile and good milkers. Our place has a bit of everything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

It certainly is, most have some bit of jersey in them now and youd pay well for a PB one

I think they means that most Friesians in the country have minimum 50% holstein in them (except select parts of KK/Tipp). You’ll rarely get actual 100% British Friesian especially in West Cork.

I like the high ebi type 80% Holstein 20% British friesian. High milk sub index is a must though. They carry a nice natural BCS and throw out plenty of solids kilos. The likes of LWR, fr4513, fr4728, fr2236, fr2298, fr2429. Having used a lot of typey (good confirmation high HO%) bulls like mr grey and sparky, we’re finding they loose too much condition post calling.

Imo no breed is perfect and if you want to cross breed you need good purebreds. The best Xbreds in this country are out of herd who were previously putting out loads of litres or else breeding for percentages for 20 years! There’s very few shortcuts in breeding and controversial as it sounds EBI is the easiest way to do it, especially if starting from a low base.
    I personally think the likes of Grasstec, David Clarke and a good mart manager are vital when buying cattle unless you’re either lucky or very well connected. Its a minefield buying dairy stock. Don’t pay too much if you’re not 100% sure of what you want but don’t false economise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    I recently bought a few Fleckveigh x Holstein heifer calves so looking forward to seeing how they turn out compared to the British Fresian. I like Monty's when cross bred and have a few NR's as well. We find the Shorthorn very docile and good milkers. Our place has a bit of everything at this stage.
    I had to laugh one time I got into a bit of a discussion with someone on another forum. The person in question would be anti farming and pro smallholding.
    The discussion went into attacking dairy farming. They came at me with the dairy cow in Ireland is a Holstein and all inbred to a few bulls. No doubt they got their info off an American vegan forum.
    It was just dessert to come at them with we had NR, Rotbunt, Montbeliarde, BF and Hol crosses on farm and back in the generations.

Google was busy after searching up NR, Rotbunt, Montbeliarde and British Freisian. :pac:
    I noted after the Green party came up with a proposal that Irish farmers should use other dairy breeds.

I had to laugh one time I got into a bit of a discussion with someone on another forum. The person in question would be anti farming and pro smallholding.
    The discussion went into attacking dairy farming. They came at me with the dairy cow in Ireland is a Holstein and all inbred to a few bulls. No doubt they got their info off an American vegan forum.
    It was just dessert to come at them with we had NR, Rotbunt, Montbeliarde, BF and Hol crosses on farm and back in the generations.

Google was busy after searching up NR, Rotbunt, Montbeliarde and British Freisian. :pac:
    I noted after the Green party came up with a proposal that Irish farmers should use other dairy breeds.

If they come into power we are all ****ed, well be back to horses but they probably wouldnt even allow that
    Arguing with vegans is some craic until you realise how thick they really are and dont listen to valid points :D

Advertisement