Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting traditional 60 watt bulb into IKEA lamp..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Dunno about 60watt, would depend on the makeup of the lamp holder

They give an energy class for the bulbs and the basic incandescent seems to be outside of that

There's no reason not to use LED now

The main issues with incandescent are

Energy use
    Fire hazard (lamp falling onto something flammable)
    Premature wear of lamp holder
    Short bulb life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hmob wrote: »

Energy use
    Short bulb life

I agree, the fire hazard is the one I would worry about. The fixture just won’t do well with heat.

Could you live with something like ...

https://www.any-lamp.ie/philips-classic-ledlustre-e27-p45-4-5w-927-470lm-dimtone-extra-warm-white-replaces-40w

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I agree, the fire hazard is the one I would worry about. The fixture just won’t do well with heat.

Could you live with something like ...

https://www.any-lamp.ie/philips-classic-ledlustre-e27-p45-4-5w-927-470lm-dimtone-extra-warm-white-replaces-40w

It’s the wife, she wants it as a makeup lamp and can only describe the light that she wants is from a traditional 60 watt clear bulb

What do you reckon, would this bulb give off a light just like a traditional 60 watt?

https://www.any-lamp.ie/philips-classic-ledbulb-e27-a60-7w-827-clear-replaces-60w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

ando wrote:
    What do you reckon, would this bulb give off a light just like a traditional 60 watt?

ando wrote:
    It’s the wife, she wants it as a makeup lamp and can only describe the light that she wants is from a traditional 60 watt clear bulb

I suspect that you are going to need something like a 6W "Natural White" LED.

• Advertisement

Extra warm would have a yellow/orange hue to it, may not be ideal for makeup.

https://lucasled.ie/led-bulb-6-5w-e27-rapid-led-light-source

Choose natural white

Haven't looked at it before but how do they determine these energy classes for the fitting?

The standard incandescent is outside the range of A-D while the energy efficient incandescent, the halogen type is within the range, type C

Is it made up sh1t or is it down to heat or current draw?

I applaud your attention to detail and I would get the best lamp I could for this particular application.

The light you have linked to is intended as an uplighter. It isn't going to be great for cosmetic/make-up. It's too directional.

Maybe two small desk lamps would suit better to get an even light. The direction and amount of light are at least as important as the character of the light.

There are also specialized illuminated mirrors available for such purposes. Some may well accommodate an incandescent bulb.

There are some tips here that seem sensible.

https://www.happystartsathome.com/best-lighting-for-makeup-application/

Haven't looked at it before but how do they determine these energy classes for the fitting?

The standard incandescent is outside the range of A-D while the energy efficient incandescent, the halogen type is within the range, type C

Is it made up sh1t or is it down to heat or current draw?

No it's not made up.

The fittings rating would mainly be limited due the heat it can withstand and the current carrying capacity of the switch and contacts.

No it's not made up.

The fittings rating would mainly be limited due the heat it can withstand and the current carrying capacity of the switch and contacts.

You mean the old incandescent wattage rating?

Or the energy class?

• Advertisement

You mean the old incandescent wattage rating?

Or the energy class?

The energy class will be determined by the lamp type (LED, Cfl, etc.)

The wattage is the maximum amount of power that the fitting can withstand during normal usage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Energy use

Very true although lighting would only make up a very small part of most domestic electricity bills.

If true most people over 30 grew up in very dangerous homes.

I have never had a problem with this. Once installed properly and even when poorly installed I have never seen a 60W pendant go on fire or even come close to it. I gre up in homes that had 500W halogen flood lights too and these never caused any damage except to the electricity Bill.
    Short bulb life

I have seen some lamp holders become brittle but at a cost of around €2 and a life of well over 10 years it wouldn’t worry me too much.

The lamp in the OP I was referring to

The risks are exaggerated but they exist

The lamp in the OP I was referring to

The risks are exaggerated but they exist

Not a good idea to regularly use a lamp in a way that is outside the manufacturer’s recommendation. It hasn’t been tested for this configuration.

Not a good idea to regularly use a lamp in a way that is outside the manufacturer’s recommendation. It hasn’t been tested for this configuration.

That's what I wondered

Would some of the newer lamps be suited for heat at the lampholder if they're rated for led

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A Philips hue white & colour bulb can be adjusted to just about any colour you want. It can be set as warm or cool white. You can even adjust the brightness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What you want is an LED ring light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RaySation-Inch-Light-Phone-Holder/dp/B08CFMDVZZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1NXMA264N47I4&dchild=1&keywords=makeup+light+ring&qid=1612746812&sprefix=makeup+l%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWk9TMjUwUEY1OVg1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODExOTEyM09JNkxBR05PM0ZONiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzk5NDI0MVpLMU9YU1BURVBVSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Your wife can change from ice white to warm white to any colour or intensity she wants. Perfect for make up and she can even use her phone as a mirror if she likes.

Uses tiny amount of power and can be plugged into a phone charger socket, or even a laptop for power.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Ages ago, I put a 60w into an ikea lamp that was only rated for 40w nevermind only rated for LED. It melted to ****e.

I am more careful to follow the bulb guidelines now, most of the stuff in our house is from ikea of varying ages, there is a little label on the shade indicated what it is rated for.

I'm actually just after checking their website and I'm surprised it isnt more clearly listed on the site or the manuals you can download for their products. But as an example the 'not' lamp, https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/not-floor-uplighter-reading-lamp-black-70324671/` which I have several of varying age, the latest model now says 'Max 6.3W LED bulb only' on the small reading lampshade. The older ones could take a 30w bulb and weren't GU10 they were E14, all it says in the manual now however is to use an LED GU10 and not a halogen, it doesn't have the max W message it's only on the shade. The shade is plastic now too instead of glass and less metal reinforcement in the bulb holder.

So I hope that answers your question, maybe look in the manual at the lamp you are looking at and it might have a little bit more info but looking at the shade in the shop or at home will definetly tell you the max wattage from my experience. (edit: I see now you said skurup, I checked the manual and there's no more info)

It's strange there isn't more specific info online about the max wattage but I see people on reddit asking about using bulbs greater than 13W with skurup lamps so you might be out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd guess she's referring to the CRI (colour rendering index), or the effective spectrum of a bulb.
    https://www.daylightlamps.ie/truelight/true-light-lamps/led-lights
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-CRI_LED_lighting

A 60w tungsten incandescent bulb has a very warm glow. Some of the Philips "WarmGlow" dimmable bulbs have a variable colour-temperature with higher warmth at a low brightness and it decreases as the brightness increases. These may offer a solution if used with a dimmer as you can dynamically increase the colour-temperature.

https://ledlightstore.org/blog/2018/12/20/best-light-for-applying-makeup/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

If you get a high quality LED bulb you'll get a good result. The cheaper ones can be hit and miss with colour and stability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement