Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday Roast

• 07-02-2021 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

On a rare occasion i go out and have dinner with the fam. Over the Christmas i promised id go out and cook and spend a few hours with them.
    So i picked up a leg of lamb and will be up at the crack of dawn to get out to them
    If im doing leg of lamb in the house i normally get the pre-marinated one in rosemary BUT they only had the normal one.
    Do any of you have any advice on the prep and serving suggestions?
    I have picked up a few items on mu trip around Dunnes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just throw it into the oven with some fresh rosemary or thyme and garlic , it'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    On a rare occasion i go out and have dinner with the fam. Over the Christmas i promised id go out and cook and spend a few hours with them.
    So i picked up a leg of lamb and will be up at the crack of dawn to get out to them
    If im doing leg of lamb in the house i normally get the pre-marinated one in rosemary BUT they only had the normal one.
    Do any of you have any advice on the prep and serving suggestions?
    I have picked up a few items on mu trip around Dunnes.

Can you pick up a rosemary plant in lidl/aldi/tesco? Dunnes & Supervalu most likely have them too i just dont ever shop in there

Salt, pepper, rosemary, some garlic if you're into that...
    Mix with a little oil and do a rub before you roast the lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

I have looked at some recipes and I think that a room temperature rub idea will be for the best..

What sides should i do?
    Mash and lamb gravy are what i am leaning towards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

I put it into the slow cooker the night before and have the Sunday roast in the morning. Having the dinner in the middle of the day is what the Healy Rae folk do.

Cerveza wrote: »
    I put it into the slow cooker the night before and have the Sunday roast in the morning. Having the dinner in the middle of the day is what the Healy Rae folk do.

The earliest ive had dinner on a Sunday would be close to the 2pm marker, but if i woke to the house full with the smell of a roast cooking i could easily be tempted

• Advertisement

I have looked at some recipes and I think that a room temperature rub idea will be for the best..

What sides should i do?
    Mash and lamb gravy are what i am leaning towards

Mash if that's your preference for taters, but if I've the oven on that long, I'd probably par boil and roast a few too

Veg, I think with lamb, roasted carrots and parsnips can be lovely, or some good broccoli florets for something a bit fresh and green, a bit of butter, black pepper and a squeeze of lemon in the saucepan after you drain them, mix and serve

Nah Kerry people have the dinner in the morning, so as to have a clear run of the day to go to the GAA match :)

lucalux wrote: »
    Nah Kerry people have the dinner in the morning, so as to have a clear run of the day to go to the GAA match :)

No gaa due to chyna virus now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Big tray of roast veg and roast spuds is the fella.

Lamb has sweet tones. Roast carrot, turnip, courgette and a few chopped red onions with herbs is just the ticket. Do parsnips if you like, but I despise the rotten things.

Gravy made on the meat juices (mount the rubbed joint on a trivet of chopped veg and onion) and a little pot of mint sauce.

Jaysis I'm starving now and slightly regretting I planned casserole for tomorrow.

Courgette with lamb would be like riding your sister.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lamb is for Muslims and the craven English. Greasy weird tasting shyte altogether. We've land too good to be wasting it on sheep farming for the most part. A nice bit of roast beef is yer only man. Chicken for when you can't be arsed cooking beef.

Chicken, May as well go vegan.

SmellyOldGoat im guessing you are not fond of Yorkshire Puddings eithet

SmellyOldGoat im guessing you are not fond of Yorkshire Puddings eithet

I love yorkie puds, they're unreal. No need to eating smelly sheep meat these days, good beef is only a few euro.

Cook lamb correct and it don’t smell. Do you suffer premature?

Cook lamb correct and it don’t smell. Do you suffer premature?

It's "sweaty". Not exactly what you look for in a dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't know who has been cooking yisser lamb for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

lucalux wrote: »

Kerry people don’t go to GAA matches unless it’s the All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

Better still, stick it in the oven Saturday morning so it's ready to eat on Saturday night.
    That way you keep Sunday free for eating takeaways while watching sport on the telly.
    Job oxo!...though not the gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My friend Simon likes parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    My friend Simon likes parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

I call him Al.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Shtop....ye’re making me hungry for one of my Mammys roasts

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Shtop....ye’re making me hungry for one of my Mammys roasts

How many Mammys do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Just the one ...if I had more I’d have put the apostrophe I forgot after the s instead of before...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Quarter some Maris Piper potatoes with skin on. Boil for 15 mins and drain. Put in a roasting dish with sea salt, fresh rosemary and olive oil. 45 mins later - heaven on a plate to accompany the lamb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Its too early in the year for lamb of any quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Can’t bate the Sunday roast. Have a chicken roasting away now on a stock trivet. Few halved carrots glazed with oil and honey next to it and then a tray of roast Maris pipers with rosemary, garlic and thyme. A nice bit of cabbage and broccoli to go with it.

Best part of any Sunday.

Cabbage with chicken jaysus.

Kerry people don’t go to GAA matches unless it’s the All Ireland final.

True enough, I thought that just as I posted it!
    They do go to the club matches though, nothing like standing at the side of an West Kerry football pitch in mid winter conditions.

At least you'll have had the roasshhht in ye to keep ye warm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Its too early in the year for lamb of any quality.

I've heard this said often but I've never experienced it. Perhaps it was true years ago.

I bought beautiful chump lamb chops only yesterday.

Dinner went down well. I might have over induleged on the yorkies before hand..
    Lamb rub olive oil with rosemary and garlic, roasties mash, glazed carrot, brocolli, yorkies, lamb gravy.
    No photos as they were quick to have the forks in hand..

Dinner went down well. I might have over induleged on the yorkies before hand..
    Lamb rub olive oil with rosemary and garlic, roasties mash, glazed carrot, brocolli, yorkies, lamb gravy.
    No photos as they were quick to have the forks in hand..

Sounds lovely, and I bet they were delighted you went to the effort :)

Advertisement