Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrible names

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Cletus and Chardonnay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It hasnt been our native language in centuries though. The Irish names seem to be a middle class thing. You dont get Astraids and Sadbhs in de flats.
    I like most of the Irish names, I have one myself.

Depends where you live, I live in a gaeltacht area, no class system and many names from different countries as many the children of returned emigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Clive.

I like that one actually, uncommon enough to not know many people called it, but not uncommon enough that no one has ever heard of it.

Then again, the only people I know called "Clive" are Clive Barker and a videogame character from a game for the Nintendo DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hamachi wrote: »
    It is pronounced ‘Gubnet’. I met one in real life when I was a teenager at the Gaeltacht in west Cork for the summer in the late ‘90s.

The poor girl got a terrible slagging. Even the teachers were taken aback when calling out the attendance sheets at the start of class..

St Gobnait is very well known in West Cork and a St Gobnaits well in Baile Bhuirne is very popular . I am very surprised that any teacher in West Cork would not know that

Dougal or Rex. Dogs names?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Bob, Fred, Eugene

Not the biggest fan of these names.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's the second time that name has came up. I thought it was a piss take the first time. Surely thats not an actual name is it :o

I know 3 Gonbnaits. It’s not that rare in West Cork where St Gobnait is from.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It’s the Irish for Deborah, I believe.

Deborah is the Anglicisation of Gobnait.

they/them/theirs

It is pronounced ‘Gubnet’. I met one in real life when I was a teenager at the Gaeltacht in west Cork for the summer in the late ‘90s.

The poor girl got a terrible slagging. Even the teachers were taken aback when calling out the attendance sheets at the start of class..

I find that hard to believe. St Gubnaits well is between Ballyvourney and Coolea. The only 2 Gaeltacht I know of in Cork.

2 of the Gubnaits I know are from Coolea and one is from Ballyvourney.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Terrance for a girl
    Brian? wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. St Gubnaits well is between Ballyvourney and Coolea. The only 2 Gaeltacht I know of in Cork.

Cape Clear is a Gaeltacht area

• Advertisement

I know three Gobnaits from Beal Atha an Gaorthaidh not far from Coolea
    Also a Gaeltacht area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Also a Gaeltacht area

Think I remember seeing a St. Gobnait’s on one of the Aran Islands, might have been Inis Oirr.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Think I remember seeing a St. Gobnait’s on one of the Aran Islands, might have been Inis Oirr.

She was definitely in Baile Bhuirne anyway !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don’t be ridiculous. They’re beautiful names, particularly Aoibheann.

Hi Caca Milis.

Hi Caca Milis.

Thankfully so many of the beautiful old Irish names have survived and are in use
    Gorgeous to hear and beautiful names

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Also a Gaeltacht area

Its the Irish for Deborah,

Its the Irish for Deborah,

Not quite right .

FEAST DAY: FEBRUARY 11
    Gobnait (Gobnet, Gobhnet, Gobnaid, Gobnata, or Gobnatae), was born in County Clare, Ireland, sometime in the 5th or 6th century. 
Gobnait is Irish for Abigail (“Brings Joy”). 

As the patron saint of beekeepers, her name also has been anglicized as Deborah, meaning "Honey Bee."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Depends where you live, I live in a gaeltacht area, no class system and many names from different countries as many the children of returned emigrants

Well it's still a tiny fraction. My Granny was from a Gaeltacht in Connemara, and they all had names like Sarah and Tom etc, even though spoke Irish.
    I'm reading a book now and the Irish nobility feature in it, Anne Boleyn was to be wed to an Irish nobleman called James Butler, in the early 1500s. His family all had names like Margaret etc.
    I think a lot of the unusual names are a Gaelic revival thing that didn't come around till the 20th century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It was Coolea.

Neither the girl in question nor most of the teachers were local to the area. It was years ago, but from what I recall, the girl was from up around Donegal.

It was certainly my first time hearing the name. She got a pretty torrid time, particularly from kids from more urban areas.

I don’t doubt that there are quite a few Gobnaits in West Cork. I presume it is much older women though? This particular girl would still be in her mid-late 30s today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Ochras and Marbh

and elon musks kid 'X Æ A-Xii'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Ivan

It's terrible.....

It was Coolea.

Neither the girl in question nor most of the teachers were local to the area. It was years ago, but from what I recall, the girl was from up around Donegal.

It was certainly my first time hearing the name. She got a pretty torrid time, particularly from kids from more urban areas.

I don’t doubt that there are quite a few Gobnaits in West Cork. I presume it is much older women though? This particular girl would still be in her mid-late 30s today.

Fair enough. Surprised to hear that.

I’m in my early 40s, 2 Gubnaits were around my age. I can’t throw a stone in Coolea without hitting a distant cousin, so I’m probably over exposed to the name.

they/them/theirs

My surname is Hugenschlong but I am literally 4 inches at full mast....why God, why?

Steroids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Martin.

Has to be the dullest, least interesting name ever. When I hear the name, I imagine the persons parents at the time of their birth saying ‘oh look, it’s a boy, what will we call him’ and the other one answers ‘Ara fcuk, I couldn’t be bothered having to think of a name, just call him Martin’ and the other one replies ‘yeah whatever, Martin it is’

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Mortimer. How can a parent look at a baby and end up settling on that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Tarquin has to be the worst.
    Anyone with that name gets wedgies at school or cuckolded later in life.

The best name for a boy is either Steve or Ulysses. If he turns out to be a dork or fat he's got a cool name so the other boys will still want him in their gang. Alternatively if he grows up to be a boss he made for life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Can anybody here read Ogham census records? Because some people seem to be hinting that they can :pac:

Your written name likely derives from the spelling the census taker used for it when your illiterate forbearers talked to them in, I believe, 1801. A time that pre dates Neo Celt historical revisionism.

There are people like your one Phil Ni Sheagahsdhsdhajash from the nurses union who are just on a wind up frankly.

There’s nothing funnier than when blind ignorance is mixed with arrogance. Still chuckling at the absolute roasting this poster got for their nonsense and how they shnaked off then when caught rotten talking sh*te.

Well it's still a tiny fraction. My Granny was from a Gaeltacht in Connemara, and they all had names like Sarah and Tom etc, even though spoke Irish.
    I'm reading a book now and the Irish nobility feature in it, Anne Boleyn was to be wed to an Irish nobleman called James Butler, in the early 1500s. His family all had names like Margaret etc.
    I think a lot of the unusual names are a Gaelic revival thing that didn't come around till the 20th century.

The traditional Irish names never went away. It might seem like because our history was anglicised.

There is no way anyone called someone James Butler in Ireland in the 1500s, who wasn't actually English.

Grainne Mhaol is a pretty famous example. You'll often here her referred to as Grace O'Malley. This was a revision made after the fact by people who speak English.

The English sounding Christian names really took over after the famine. Irish was seen as a poor people's language before that, but the famine really broke it. My paternal grandparents grew up with their first language as Irish, yet somehow named most of their kids very English sounding names like William, Rose and John.

That generation is an aberration though as their children named their kids mostly Irish names.

This is true on both sides of my family. Geneations of Irish names with my parents and grandparents the odd ones with English names.

No one I know from the Gaeltacht has an English name. They might be called Tom, but they're really Tomás.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The traditional Irish names never went away. It might seem like because our history was anglicised.

Yeah I know Tomas and Peadair and Padraig etc were all common, but I would have thought the names like Caolfhionn, Doireann, Aoife even, only started to become popular in the late 20th century? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure where you'd see these names in the past outside of ancient tales.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know Tomas and Peadair and Padraig etc were all common, but I would have thought the names like Caolfhionn, Doireann, Aoife even, only started to become popular in the late 20th century? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure where you'd see these names in the past outside of ancient tales.

You won't see them because they were anglicised when written down. There is very little Irish history written in the Vernacular. It went no written history, Latin and then English.

Some of the names you see now are written with extra letters because phonetically it's the most accurate. But the names never went away. There are about 5 spelling of some names like Orla, Orlaith, Orflaith, Orlaigh. Some or regional inflections of the 2nd consonant. But Orla is definitely incorrect phonetically, it lacks the texture of Orlaith etc.

The problem is we use English letters to approximate Irish pronunciations.

The exception to all of thus is Saoirse. That's a new name.

they/them/theirs

Mortimer. How can a parent look at a baby and end up settling on that?

There's a tradition among CofI of naming the firstborn son the mothers maiden name, so Mortimer was likely his mums surname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There's a tradition among CofI of naming the firstborn son the mothers maiden name, so Mortimer was likely his mums surname

I knew a ‘Mort’ before. Fell for a Brazilian girl and moved over that way. He was a sound skin.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Sorcha

Usually followed by an Anglo surname to cover the fact they have English heritage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How is Caolfhionn pronounced? I'm trying to figure out if I've ever met one.

For me:
    Rosemary
    Margaret
    Bridget
    Jacinta
    Reginald
    Majella
    Proinsias
    Dean
    Nigel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Sorcha

Usually followed by an Anglo surname to cover the fact they have English heritage

Sorcha's parents called her Sorcha to hide the fact they have English heritage? Have i got that right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How is Caolfhionn pronounced? I'm trying to figure out if I've ever met one.
    I believe its Kee-lin.

I believe its Kee-lin.

Wow, I'd have never copped that. I just made noises like I was being strangled trying to get the first part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rosemary
    Margaret

My first two wives. :pac:

Wow, I'd have never copped that. I just made noises like I was being strangled trying to get the first part.

Its more like Quail in . But say it without the u in quail
    Keelin is the anglised form of Caoilfhionn
    Caol means slender and Fionn means fair
    So a slender fair girl .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Gormlaith

• Advertisement

Myfanwy. Not a terrible name really but it's Welsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

Donald.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Now try Caoimhe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mitchelsontour

The yanks calling girls Colleen

Now try Caoimhe.

I know that one - qwee-va.

It's more common than the other one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Finbarr
    How could anyone look at a baby and call him Finbarr.

Finn or Fionn are grand.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Finbarr

Finn or Fionn are grand.

Big Cork name. Saint Finbarr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Finbarr

Finn or Fionn are grand.
    Hard to picture a baby Finbarr alright. When I hear that name I always think of an auld lad in a country pub drinking Guinness.

Hard to picture a baby Finbarr alright. When I hear that name I always think of an auld lad in a country pub drinking Guinness.

Beamish or Murphys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

saabsaab wrote: »
    Beamish or Murphys!

Don't be ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement