Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to level a garden?

Options
  • 07-02-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

30m x 9m garden - no crazy slopes or anyting but there are quite a few dips here & there.

Before I start with any plans, I'd really like to just level it out as I think it will make my life much easier. 95% is just grass, few odd small trees (Maple, Acer etc).

Does anyone know the typical cost? Kildare based.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A man with a digger will cost you anywhere between 35 and about 60 an hour - depending on travelling, size of digger etc, though you would want a small one. A man with a digger who calls himself a landscape gardener will probably charge a good bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why not just get a load (or more) of good topsoil and fill the dips in?

The problem with getting a contractor in to level such a relatively small area is that they will very likely take the topsoil off the high points to fill the low point which may leave you short of topsoil in some places.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Yes, the idea suggested by The Continental Op is a good one. I would not be too worried about variations in level too much, as long as the transitions between the levels are fairly gradual, or, on the other hand, terraced into different horizontal levels. It would have a lot more interest than the boringly flat garden that I have to work with.

Advertisement