Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of Oceania

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Western Highlands

Much more interesting to look at and again that shade of green is perfect

Tino Rangatiratanga

It's a great flag, swirls are super unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Western Highlands - I like it more, its more like a national flag, than the other. The other could be the logo of the design council, or some equally worthy crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tino Rangatiratanga advances to the final

Final coming in the next half hour

• Advertisement

Final is incoming. As per previous tournaments, answers will only be accepted via PM . You may show support or canvas for your choice on thread but only votes via inbox will be counted. Feel free to muse over past matches too! The time limit for the final is 45 minutes. Let's crown an Ultimate Champion of Oceania.

Tino Rangatiratanga

National Flag of the Maori People

400px-Tino_Rangatiratanga_Maori_sovereignty_movement_flag.svg.png

R1 def. Australian Capital Territory
    R2 def. Kingman Reef
    R3 def. Northern Mariana Islands
    QF def. Tokelau
    SF def. Western Highlands

VS

Australian Aboriginal Flag

National Flag of the Aboriginal People

400px-Australian_Aboriginal_Flag.svg.png

R1 def. South Australia
    R2 def. American Samoa
    R3 def. Marquesas Islands
    QF def. Eastern Highlands
    SF def. Wellington

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is it vote on thread Omack?

Tino Rangatiratanga if so. I love both flags and genuinely think the Aussies should consider replacing their current national one with this permanently, but I just think the design and colour scheme of Tino is genuinely just brilliant and deserving of the win here just a little bit more. Happy with either one winning mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Omackeral wrote: »
    Final is incoming. As per previous tournaments, answers will only be accepted via PM .

Probably not Necro! :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whoops. missed the first post there somehow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Tino Rangatiratanga without a doubt for me.

It came down to Maori vs Aboriginal interestingly!

cdeb and I campaigned for it in Round 1 ;) when it scraped through against Australian Capital Territory (not a bad flag but really...).

It is really a beautifully simple idea, well executed, maybe it does not have the symbolism of some, but it gets my vote.

Come on Tino!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

cdeb wrote: »
    I think Tino could be a dark horse here actually. That's quality.

(Provided it doesn't get dumped out in the first round of course!)

cdeb wrote: »
    I'd better chip in with a reason in case this goes to tie-break.

Love the black and red combo, and the wave feature is different too. Bit like a sea of blood washing up on a pristine white beach at night. What's not to like? :)

Just going to leave these here from Tino's round 1 bout.

Ye know what to do!

Necro wrote: »
    Is it vote on thread Omack?

Tino Rangatiratanga if so. I love both flags and genuinely think the Aussies should consider replacing their current national one with this permanently, but I just think the design and colour scheme of Tino is genuinely just brilliant and deserving of the win here just a little bit more. Happy with either one winning mind.

So Australia should replace their flag with the Maori flag?

Are these the same Maoris from New Zealand?

Whoops. missed the first post there somehow!

I'm glad you did and I would never have copped and my vote would not have been counted :D:D:D

No I'm on about the Aboriginal flag, sorry

No I'm on about the Aboriginal flag, sorry

Sorry, thought you were bigging up the Maori flag :)

Purgative wrote: »
    Sorry, thought you were bigging up the Maori flag :)

Well I was, but I think the Aboriginal flag is far nicer than the Australian national one at the same time :D

Well I was, but I think the Aboriginal flag is far nicer than the Australian national one at the same time :D

Thanks for clearing that up :pac:

Lads, how mad is this... A non state/province won the Canada USA state/province tournament, that was Nunavut which is a territory. Then a technically non European entity won the Battle of Western Europe when the Canary Islands won and they're just off Africa. Now a non subdivision is going to win the Oceania subdivision tournament!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Lads, how mad is this... A non state/province won the Canada USA state/province tournament, that was Nunavut which is a territory. Then a technically non European entity won the Battle of Western Europe when the Canary Islands won and they're just off Africa. Now a non subdivision is going to win the Oceania subdivision tournament!

Anarchy!

• Advertisement

I suppose the smaller you are the less people you have to please, the less political symbolism you have to worry about.

Our house flag is the nutz. :)

15 minutes remaining

3 minutes to go

And we have a winner, in a First Nations vs First Nations duel we have an victor. With a percentage of 57% of the vote, the winner of the Ultimate Battle of Oceania is....

Tino Rangatiratanga

XOIQrWUeFIcFEeu-800x450-noPad.jpg?1525734816

Great comp Mack thanks for pulling it all together. Entertaining and I learned a bit too.

A great flag!

both are good but a deserving winner.

Cheers for running Omack, happy with the result - wouldn't have minded the result going the other way either mind

• Registered Users Posts: 86,237 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Purgative wrote: »
    Great comp Mack thanks for pulling it all together. Entertaining and I learned a bit too.

+ 1

My favourite flag was Enga, it didn't make it all the way, due to flower dislike ;) happy to see Tino top the table as my second favourite :)

Thanks for the hard work putting this together, it was fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another hugely entertaining tournament Omack, thanks for running it. Good winner, that flag is a lot more unique than the Aboriginal one.

Advertisement