Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of Oceania

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah sh*te .I had to go collect a takeaway and missed it. I would probably have voted for the aboriginal one , but both were worthy finalists. Cheers Omackeral

Another fine innings, young Macker.

Preferred the Aboriginal flag but two solid flags and couldn't begrudge either the win.

Western Highlands was my favourite overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

A great tournament as always Mack, thanks for running. A worthy winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

And another thanks to Omack for what must be a helluva lot of work.

But what will be next........?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

That was good fun thanks Omack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's how it went down;

Tino Rangatiratanga took the lead via Cdeb

Jazlynn Narrow Chairlift below levelled it up then.

Necro and Barna took Tino into a 3-1 lead then.

Aborginal Flag tied it up 3-3 via Purgative and alchemist33.

Then Tino took a 6-3 stretch via Cosmo Kramer, Kolido and ari101.

Sinead Spears scored one back for AA to make it 6-4

bubblypop and Zaph had other ideas and went with Tino Rangatiratanga making it 8-4

JP Liz V1 and Citizenpain gave it their best for Aboroginal Australia but it wasn't to be enough.

But what will be next........?

Have two more of these in the pipeline, maybe even three thanks to a tip from cdeb. Then I was thinking of running greatest Movie Hero to compliment Kolido's current villain one but might leave that one to Kol sometime down the road, I like his structure in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Omackeral wrote: »
    And we have a winner, in a First Nations vs First Nations duel we have an victor. With a percentage of 57% of the vote, the winner of the Ultimate Battle of Oceania is....
    Tino Rangatiratanga

XOIQrWUeFIcFEeu-800x450-noPad.jpg?1525734816

Missed today's but very happy with the winner, it's a class flag - simple but symbolic, unique without being outrageous. Nice

Great job Mackers, appreciated as always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Good job again running this Omack!

Round of applause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Another fun game, fair play :)

Wasn't my choice of winner but to be fair it does look good irl when flying on the flagpole.

Thanks for running it Omackeral :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Wow a great tournament Omackeral. My opinion hardly matters now anyway but would like to give it anyway

Wellington v Australian Aboriginal Flag

The Wellington flag is very attractive and it has symbolic historical references, which is good. But what history? Because I was late home I googled both flags and there were a lot of references to the Wellington flag by New Zealanders saying the symbolism of the boat and George's Cross was part of their history. But it struck me......the Wellington.flag was part of a history, but a history that came late to the party, that trumped and devalued what was there for thousands of years before that.

The Australian Aboriginal Flag

Black – represents the Aboriginal people of Australia
    Yellow circle – represents the Sun, the giver of life and protector
    Red – represents the red earth, the red ochre used in ceremonies and Aboriginal peoples’ spiritual relation to the land

Putting the Australian Aboriginal flag through was absolutely the right decision in my opinion.

Tino Rangatiratanga v Western Highlands

Tino rangatiratanga
    is a Māori language term that is often translated as "absolute sovereignty". It appears in the Māori version of the Treaty of Waitangi, signed by the British Crown and Māori chiefs (rangatira) in 1840. The irony of tino rangatirgatanga meaning absolute sovereignty in talks against the crown brilliant.
    It uses black, white, and red as national colours of New Zealand. The design of the flag references the Māori creation story of Rangi and Papa, suggesting the sky, the earth, and the physical realm of light and being, which was created when they were separated.[13]

Western Highlands
    Western Highlands Province - A white stripe (for peace) separates triangles of green (for vegetation) and black (from the National flag). Stars represent the 3 geographic regions. The Provincial emblem is set over the green triangle.

Aethetically for me it's Tino Rangatiragatanga

Symbolism 1-1 a draw

Tino Rangatiragatanga the name meaning "absolute sovereignty, giving it to the crown!

Tino Rangatiragatanga was the right choice in my opinion.

Tino Rangatiratanga

National Flag of the Maori People

400px-Tino_Rangatiratanga_Maori_sovereignty_movement_flag.svg.png

R1 def. Australian Capital Territory
    R2 def. Kingman Reef
    R3 def. Northern Mariana Islands
    QF def. Tokelau
    SF def. Western Highlands

VS

Australian Aboriginal Flag

National Flag of the Aboriginal People

400px-Australian_Aboriginal_Flag.svg.png

R1 def. South Australia
    R2 def. American Samoa
    R3 def. Marquesas Islands
    QF def. Eastern Highlands
    SF def. Wellington

Both flags are aesthetically striking,

Both flags represent oppressed peoples which we in Ireland understand better than most.

Symbolism:

Aboriginal Flag

The flag’s design consists of a coloured rectangle divided in half horizontally. The top half of the flag is black to symbolise Aboriginal people. The red in the lower half stands for the earth and the colour of ochre, which has ceremonial significance. The circle of yellow in the centre of the flag represents the sun.

Tino Ranatingatara

Black – represents Te Korekore, the realm of Potential Being. It represents the long darkness from whence the world emerged. It represents the heavens. The male element is formless, floating and passive.

White – represents Te Ao Marama, the realm of Being and Light. It is the Physical World. White also symbolises purity, harmony, enlightenment, and balance.

Koru – the curling frond shape, the Koru, represents the unfolding of new life. It represents rebirth and continuity, and offers the promise of renewal and hope for the future.

Red – represents Te Whei Ao, the realm of Coming into Being. It symbolises the female element. It also represents active, flashing, southern, falling, emergence, forest, land and gestation. Red is Papatuanuku, the Earth Mother, the sustainer of all living things. Red is the colour of earth from which the first human was made.

The design represents the balance of natural forces with each other. To live life is to live with nature. To appreciate life is to understand nature.

Ah Lads and by that I mean WOW!

The right choice was made. Delighted with it.

I love the wave effect

Omackeral I am sorry I couldn't be here yesterday or today but I loved the tournament. I would have voted for the winner in both semi finals and in the final. Thank you so much, Hope to see another one soon.

Omackeral I am sorry I couldn't be here yesterday or today but I loved the tournament. I would have voted for the winner in both semi finals and in the final. Thank you so much, Hope to see another one soon.

You'll be first on the invite list when it's in the works. Have a couple in the pipeline anyway...

You'll be first on the invite list when it's in the works. Have a couple in the pipeline anyway...

Yaaaaay delighted to hear it. Please slip me a PM when you are doing the next one. Thanks.

Yaaaaay delighted to hear it. Please slip me a PM when you are doing the next one. Thanks.

Have just designed four more of these including one absolutely giant one!

woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bonus Ultimate Battle Tournament tonight folks! Have a look at the forum in and around 8PM for it :)

Advertisement