Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

min till reseeding

Options
  • 07-02-2021 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hello all
    new member here
    i have heavely poached land from the wet weather its obviously not finished yet but something came to mind for when it dries up a bit.
    my land is heavy clay and ive out wintered sheep on it this year to roughen up the fields a bit. the land has been neglected for years so rushes/moss/weeds etc have been growing.
    i am thinking of spreading some seed on it later in the year when it dries a bit, bradcast spreading and chain harrowing it i was thinking.
    what i am wondering is has anyone mixed some forage/fodder crop through the grass seed mix? the land is well compacted and i was thinking of adding maybe some rape seed or stubble turnips in to the grass seed mix not alot but to try loosen the clay.

any advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

hello all
    new member here
    i have heavely poached land from the wet weather its obviously not finished yet but something came to mind for when it dries up a bit.
    my land is heavy clay and ive out wintered sheep on it this year to roughen up the fields a bit. the land has been neglected for years so rushes/moss/weeds etc have been growing.
    i am thinking of spreading some seed on it later in the year when it dries a bit, bradcast spreading and chain harrowing it i was thinking.
    what i am wondering is has anyone mixed some forage/fodder crop through the grass seed mix? the land is well compacted and i was thinking of adding maybe some rape seed or stubble turnips in to the grass seed mix not alot but to try loosen the clay.

any advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    chris
    Do your harrowing first and blacken the ground first. The more soil exposed the better. Spread your seed then and then roll.

I've sowed grass with turnip mixed through it for sheep. Can be a great job. I usually mix in the bags before they go into the hopper of the seeder

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crips kelly

thanks very much for the reply

Advertisement