Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 28mm road/commuter/ tour tire please?

Options
  • 07-02-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I hope you are all well.
    I have a road bike, with hydro brakes, endurance geometry..
    I plan to use it for commuting, general road riding and maybe some touring...when we can travel somewhere..

I plan on getting 28mm tires.
    I already have a pair of Lifeline Armor 28mm tires.
    They are the wiggle brand and are quite robust & puncture resistant..

Only issue with them is they are verrry tight..
    I can put them on.. but it is hard work and very easy to pinch a tube...

Can any of you recommend a good 28mm tire that is relatively easy to fit?

Thank u!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Generally find durano plus have good protection and easy to fit on my cube bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

put a set of Vittoria Rubino 28s on my bike yesterday, folding tyre, relatively easy to get on. Can't vouch for their durability yet.

I was using the Schwalbe Durano 25s and I can absolutely vouch for the Durano's sturdiness, they're bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank u.. will check them out...
    My wheels have mavic open pro disc rims.. so maybe these are harder to fit tires to...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 is a good alternative to the Durano Plus. The tyre seems to resist cuts fairly well in my experience and doesn't seem to pick up everything on the road. The 28c is only 285g and they're easy enough to get on and off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 gippo77

Vitoria Corsa

Have conti 4 seasons on the good bike pretty good tyre but nearly twice the price of the durano plus .I think you will get a lot of different opinions on tyres so you will have to chance a good set and hope they work out for you .After I got a bit of practice fitting the tyres on either of my cube bikes were easy enough .

Hi!
    Yea conti 4 seasons are good tires...
    I have used the lifeline pro armor tires the last few years, as they are such good value...
    But as I said, the 28mm tires are very tricky to fit on...
    This is fine.. from the comfort of your house.. but would be a lot tougher in the lashing rain beside a ditch!

It often is more about the rim than the tyre to be honest.

I find the larger volume tyres roll on easier and I've found GP4S to go on very easily on any rims I've mounted them on.

Premium tyres of course, but would you want anything else? You couldn't pay me to commute on Durano+ tyres for the love of God :pac:

Afternoon!
    Yea, premium tires alright..
    But if they are easier to fit.. I would probably pay a bit extra
    I have had a few pairs of lifeline pro armor tires, size 25mm on my other roadbike and they have been great.. take on the worst of winter weather, and commuting through Dublin city ctr... and the 25mm are not as tight as the 28mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

4 seasons are one of the best you can put on. Comfortable, fast and yet durable.
    I had gp 5000s and hated them. Gave them away for free on here. Got the 4 seasons and they are better in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MojoMaker wrote: »
    ......You couldn't pay me to commute on Durano+ tyres for the love of God :pac:
    Why? I use Durano Plus on several bikes. I very rarely puncture on them (approx 1 per 10,000kms).

You couldn't pay me to use Continental tyres. Punctures every second ride. No thanks.

Very dead tyres, you can't but agree WA. Even for commuting they are lifeless!

Not sure how you're setting up Conti tyres or which ones you're using, but puncture-free here on Contis for a long time. In fact last puncture was on a Schwalbe Pro One with v-guard, so go figure.

GP4S in a 28mm fit is an excellent commuting option. If you shop cannily I have seen them for as little as €32 recently (albeit pre-Brexit).

Thanks.. yea, the 4 Seasons are a great all-round tire...
    They seem to be selling for approx €40 -€45 at the moment...

Thats a decent price for a good tyre .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Advertisement