Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I don't have a clue what I sent for this round

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just watched the first episode of what I submitted. I love it, but I think that might just be nostalgia endorphins, it makes zero sense :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sawduck wrote: »
    I don't have a clue what I sent for this round

I know what you sent... :D

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I know what I sent, I've no clue how this one is gonna go either, loving the unpredictability :D

I'm actually gonna kick off the reveal earlier than expected, in about 5-10 minutes...

Some IRL stuff going on that may lead to me being called away mid-reveal, so if I go MIA for an extended amount of time, I'll get back to it as soon as I can

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just be prepared for the gifs if you disappear mid sentence :pac:

I resisted the urge to pick my own career highlight. Sadly it wasn't one of the first three episodes so you'd have missed the glory!

(I'm one of the advisors)

In 8th with 7 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Dexter's Laboratory

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115157/
    IMDB wrote:
    The misadventures of a boy genius and his annoying sister.

Y06QrFLl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 7.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 80.3%

Episode 1: "Deedeemensional/Dial M for Monkey: Magmanamus/Maternal Combat"
    This held up much better than I expected it to, and it's really clever. The voice acting for Dexter is superb, but never would've guessed that it was a woman who voiced him (which I've just learned). Christine Cavanaugh does Dexter's voice, and she also voiced Chuckie in Rugrats, and Babe from Babe, which is pretty cool, never knew that was all the same person. Sadly it appears she passed away a few years ago, at age 51, a great legacy left behind though bringing a voice to such iconic characters.

Episode 2: "Dexter Dodgeball/Dial M for Monkey: Rasslor/Dexter's Assistant"
    The three sketch's this episode weren't as good as last episode, which was disappointing considering how strong the first episode was. Still enjoyable, but not a scratch on the previous. Hopefully it will be a return to form in the next one.

Episode 3: "Dexter's Rival/Dial M for Monkey: Simion/Old Man Dexter"
    Better than the last episode, mostly because of the Old Man Dexter sketch, but still not a patch on the first one. The Dexter and Dee Dee dynamic is the best thing about the show, which we got a lot of in the first episode, but she's less prominent in the second episode, and while she features more in the third, is less an adversary to Dexter.

Final Thoughts:
    It's fun, the first episode reall set the bar high, and it wasn't able to live up to that in the other two, but I'm sure over the course of the series it manages to hit the highs of the first episode again, so will probably watch an episode from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

I have no idea how you're going to respond to my nomination for this round, I think I went a bit too far outside the box

In 8th with 7 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Dexter's Laboratory
    Just looked it up. 1995-2003. Damn youngsters :p

• Advertisement

Says the old fart... :pac:

In 7th with 8 points is
    aaronjennings

CardCaptors

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250141/
    IMDB wrote:
    CardCaptors is the American version of the Japanese anime Card Captor Sakura. The main characters are Sakura Avalon and Li Showron, who, assisted by Keroberos (Kero), and Sakura's best friend Madison, try to capture the escaped Clow cards, and return them to the mystical book that holds them, the Clow. Also on hand are Sakura's older brother, Tori, and father, Aiden, Tori's best friend, Julian, Li's cousin, Meilin, and various classmates and friends of Sakura and Li.

jU8N8rvl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.6
    Episode 3 Rating: 6.5
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 81%

Episode 1: "One Fateful Day"
    I had heard the name CardCaptors before, but had no idea what it was about, so was going in to this completely blind. It was really good, did a great job at setting up the premise and introducing the major characters. Intriguing story, it could potentially get old very fast, but as an introduction and set-up this was a strong opening. I like the animation, was worried it might be styled along the lines of Pokémon or Digimon which visually I find slightly too American-ised, but this is classic Anime style animation, so that's always a plus. I'm watching the Dubbed version of this (mostly because it was easier to find than Subbed), and the voice acting is really good ; sometimes the English Dubs can be really annoying, but they've done a good job here.

Episode 2: "Partners In Crime"
    Not quite as strong as the first episode, but still very enjoyable and fun. It was similar to the first in that it was still getting its ducks in a row and establishing the premise a bit more, but would be nice to see the capturing of cards being a bit more complicated going forward, and that more time and strategy is spent on that side of things ; not that I dislike the character building or anything, just a preference.

Episode 3: "Allies"
    Almost twenty percent of this episode is flashbacks to the first two episode which was just weird ; I get that it's a show for children, so they need to constantly call back to things to keep people up to speed, but it was still far too long a time to spend on something that had already been shown. Looked up to see if there was a reason for those flashbacks and it seems there are some differences between the Japanese and American version which may account for some time needing to be filled, but anyway, all that aside, the rest of the episode wasn't as good as either of the first two, and is starting to feel a bit repetitive.

Final Thoughts:
    This is one of those shows that seems like it probably falls victim to the law of diminishing returns in that once you've seen one or two episodes, there's not much else to it. I'll likely give it another few episodes to prove me wrong, because I did enjoy the first, and even the second, episode as much as I did, and maybe it does end up evolving and going somewhere else. Overall I enjoyed watching it, so a good choice.

Says the old fart... :pac:
    72ac96041872848b77114f8588e34fb0.gif

I'd have been 9 when Dexter first aired :eek:

Necro wrote: »
    I'd have been 9 when Dexter first aired :eek:
    I'm not falling for that trick ;)

In 9th with 6 points is
    Deleted User

Tom & Jerry

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12158994/
    IMDB wrote:
    The series features comic fights between an iconic pair of adversaries, a house cat (Tom) and a mouse (Jerry). The plots of each short usually center on Tom and Jerry's numerous attempts to have the best of each other and the mayhem and destruction that follows.

61ceLMol.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 7
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.1
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 78.3%

Episode 1: "Puss Gets The Boot"
    Hard to beat the classics, and also hard to talk about them ; Tom chases Jerry, Jerry outsmarts Tom, Tom gets the upper hand again, only to be one-upped by Jerry, what more is there to say? Good, solid, old-school fun. Simple but satisfying. Fun Fact: Tom is referred to as Jasper in this episode and Jerry is unnamed as they don't actually get named Tom & Jerry until the second episode.

Episode 2: "The Midnight Snack"
    Thought I'd end up rating all these the same, because I believed it was essentially the same thing every episode, but this wasn't as strong a narrative as the first one, and wasn't as funny as a result. There was also less out-smarting and cunning involved. It was still good, just not as good.

Episode 3: "The Night Before Christmas"
    This one was back on form again for me, the Christmas setting really helped as it meant there was toys and decorations lying about to add to the antics. And as it was a Christmas episode it had a happy ending for both Tom & Jerry and there was a real sweet moment where Tom was genuinely worried for Jerry, and shows that despite their rivalry they don't want to see any real harm come to each other.

Final Thoughts:
    A nice trip down memory lane, hard not to enjoy Tom & Jerry, its simplicity is comforting, although that same simplicity may not have worked in its favour as it ultimately didn't leave as much as an impression as those ahead of it, but it was fun, and I'm always happy to watch a bit of Tom & Jerry.

In 6th with 9 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Fraggle Rock

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085017/
    IMDB wrote:
    The adventures of the various inhabitants of an underground civilization.

gZwkhW2l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 81.6%

Episode 1: "Beginnings"
    Funnily enough, I never saw Fraggle Rock when I was a kid, I knew most of the other big Jim Henson Company productions (The Muppets, Sesame Street, Dinosaurs) very well, but it wasn't actually until I was in college that I watched Fraggle Rock for the first time. Hard not to love it, no matter what age you are, as it's just a lot of fun, with enjoyable characters, and great songs. I've always thought puppetry was cool, and especially muppets, so doesn't take much for a show like this to win me over.

Episode 2: "Wembley and the Gorgs"
    Enjoyed this one slightly more than the first one, one of the songs in it was really good, and the overall story had a bit more to it than the first episode did, but they're only minor things ; the show has a formula that is sticks to and hard to imagine many episodes deviate much from the others, which is fitting for a kids show.

Episode 3: "Let the Water Run"
    This one was pretty clever and showed how all the inhabitants and species in the world of Fraggle Rock are more connected to one another than had previously been shown. The songs in this one were great once again, and the segment where Uncle Travelling Matt misinterprets umbrellas is very funny.

Final Thoughts:
    There's something really comforting about watching an episode of Fraggle Rock that I imagine is akin to meditation ; as the theme song itself says "dance your cares away, worries for another day". Will keep watching these, especially whenever I need a quick pick-me-up.

In 6th with 9 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Fraggle Rock

Final Thoughts:
    There's something really comforting about watching an episode of Fraggle Rock that I imagine is akin to meditation ; as the theme song itself says "dance your cares away, worries for another day". Will keep watching these, especially whenever I need a quick pick-me-up.
    Yep, sums up my view too. There's not much to it but it just makes me happy, simple as that. Sometimes simplicity is good. Glad you liked it :)

Holy Deja Vu, Batman!

In 10th with 5 points is
    Irish Aris

Knight Rider

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083437/
    IMDB wrote:
    A lone crimefighter battles the forces of evil with the help of a virtually indestructible and artificially intelligent supercar.

eKfTSSol.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.1
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.3
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.2
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 75.3%

Episode 1: "Knight of the Phoenix"
    The episode opens on a cover of Proud Mary, which isn't as offensive as Creedance Clearwater Revival performing it themselves, but it's not a great sign… talk about starting off on the backfoot. Luckily it was all uphill from that point, and growing up watching Baywatch and Boy Meets World I was going into this already being a fan of David Hasselhoff and Williams Daniels, and I liked their dynamic. Even as the disembodied voice of a sentient car, Daniels oozes charisma, and The Hoff is a legend regardless of how mediocre his acting abilities might be. I've been meaning for years to finally check this show out, but for whatever reason kept putting it on the long finger, so it was good to finally get the kick needed to give it a go. Solid pilot, sets up the series really well, hopefully it can keep up that quality.

Episode 2: "Deadly Maneuvers"
    So KITT, you know the whole unique selling point of the show, doesn't get to do any cool sh*t until the final few minutes, and even then its not even the coolest of cool sh*t, so that was quite disappointing. The case of the week was also fairly mediocre and at best the episode could be described as "fine", which is unfortunate since the pilot was so strong.

Episode 3: "Good Day at White Rock"
    This was a lot more fun, and almost back on form again, although I do think KITT isn't being used to its full potential, which is still a bit disappointing. This was a good showcase for Hasselhoff though and portrays Michael Knight as somewhat less serious than the first two episodes did ; a bit of levity from the main characters in a show like this is always welcome.

Final Thoughts:
    A less than mediocre second episode drags the show down, but overall it was decent enough and I'll probably keep watching more. Given the amount of people who nominated this, my expectations were quite high and it didn't quite hit them, but it certainly wasn't a disaster and I liked it, just didn't quite manage to hold up against the competition.

8th last round, 10th this round. Just shows that kids tv is better than normal tv :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I probably wasnt born when my nom aired, I think it was reruns.

8th last round, 10th this round. Just shows that kids tv is better than normal tv :D

It actually finished 5th from the bottom compared to 3rd from the bottom last round though, and ends up with the same amount of points due to all the duplicates...

I would say that's on a par... :D

In 5th with 10 points is
    the purple tin

Lost In Space

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058824/
    IMDB wrote:
    A space colony family struggles to survive when a spy/accidental stowaway throws their ship hopelessly off course.
    yqKeuOcl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 6.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 82.6%

Episode 1: "The Reluctant Stowaway"
    Decent enough pilot, sets the premise well, although some of the acting is a bit wooden at this point, but the overall plot is intriguing, and it ends on a cliffhanger, even if I do already know its bound to work out. Irwin Allen is the creator of Lost In Space, and he also created Land of the Giants, which I absolutely love, and I think I'll probably have similar affections for this after a few episodes, at the moment I'm not attached to any of the characters though. Really really liked it, just don't love it yet.

Episode 2: "The Derelict"
    At the moment it's kind of just plodding along slowly, but I'm not finding any of the characters are all that engaging and the acting is very stilted from most of the cast ; Guy Williams and Mark Goddard seem to be the most capable actors and the most watchable at the moment. There was some good moments, but nowhere near as interesting as the first episode. Hopefully picks up in the next one, as I can see the potential that's there, they're just not landing the execution at the moment.

Episode 3: "Island In The Sky"
    Now we're getting somewhere… literally. This is what I was expecting the show to be, and what probably should've been the second episode of the series. With the exception of one or two scenes, the second episode was fairly unnecessary, but what's done is done (and it was done fifty-five years ago) so at least we're finally on the right track. There was a lot going on in this one, lots of excitement and also character development. Starting to warm to all of the characters now and the acting feels much stronger, or maybe I'm not noticing the poorer performances because I'm invested in the story now ; either way, it works.

Final Thoughts:
    Considering its just getting into the good stuff now, I'm without a doubt going to be continuing with this series. I had always intended to check out the rest of Irwin Allen's shows given I'm such a big fan of Land of the Giants, and perhaps once I'm done with Lost In Space I'll dive straight in to Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Time Tunnel.

Kolido wrote: »
    I probably wasnt born when my nom aired, I think it was reruns.

I think you're thinking of a different show... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I've decided what I would have picked for this category if I had been around when this started, now I'm wondering if it got nominated anyway...? :D

ari101 wrote: »
    I've decided what I would have picked for this category if I had been around when this started, now I'm wondering if it got nominated anyway...? :D

Don't forget to tell us afterwards... :)

In 11th with 4 points is
    Sawduck

Courage the Cowardly Dog

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220880/
    IMDB wrote:
    The offbeat adventures of Courage, a cowardly dog who must overcome his own fears to heroically defend his unknowing farmer owners from all kinds of dangers, paranormal events and menaces that appear around their land.

IauX0sJl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 6.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 6.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 66.3%

Episode 1: "A Night at the Katz Motel/Cajun Granny Stew"
    I think I need a Pitch Meeting just to digest what I just watched…
    • Cartoon Network Exec: So let me get this straight, the show is about a Cowardly Dog who really just screams and panics a lot, and lives with some elderly grandparents?
    • Writer: Correct
    • Cartoon Network Exec: And these grandparents are Scottish or Irish or possibly German?
    • Writer: Yes
    • Cartoon Network Exec: Well, which one is it?
    • Writer: All of the above
    • Cartoon Network Exec: Eh… right, okay… moving on… so in this first sketch, Courage and his elderly owners Muriel and Eustace check into a motel run by a creepy cat named Katz
    • Writer: Exactly
    • Cartoon Network Exec: And Katz pervs on the granny taking a bath and then gets his kicks by releasing deathly spiders on his guests in order to kill them, but while distracted playing an impromptu and random game of handball with Courage, Katz is incapacitated by Muriel, and they manage to escape, but Eustace slept through all of this commotion?
    • Writer: That's it
    • Cartoon Network Exec: And the second sketch is about a Cajun Fox trying to kidnap Muriel so he can cook her into a Granny Stew, and Courage has to keep saving here because she's sleeping through all this commotion?
    • Writer: Right
    • Cartoon Network Exec: And this is a kids show?
    • Writer: Obviously
    • Cartoon Network Exec: Is it though?
    • Writer: Look kids will love it, they'll watch any old weird sh*t, are you in on this thing or not, because the sooner you give the seal of approval and sign off on this, the sooner we can use the show's budget to buy more cocaine and churn out four seasons of this madness
    • Cartoon Network Exec: Touché, you son of a b*tch, I'm in!

Episode 2: "The Shadow of Courage/Dr. Le Quack, Amnesia Specialist"
    Genuinely can't tell if I like this show or not, it's really f**king weird, and I suppose I like being weirded out to a certain extent, so I'm enjoying it to a degree. Think the first episode was slightly better, only because I had no idea what to expect. Was slightly more prepared for the madness this time, so it didn't quite have the same impact.

Episode 3: "Courage Meets Bigfoot/Hothead"
    Thought the second sketch, Hothead, was really really good, which elevated this episode above the first two. It's still bonkers and not quite sure what to make of the show as a whole, but it's enjoyable enough, and the more I watch the more I'm getting sucked into its orbit.

Final Thoughts:
    It's an odd show, but its fun, not sure if I'll necessarily continue watching it, but may check out one or two episodes the next time I happen to be "scoobing the dooby" which I imagine is the best way to enjoy a show like this.

In 4th with 11 points is
    ShaneU

Halfway Across The Galaxy and Turn Left

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108792/
    IMDB wrote:
    A family of aliens flee their tyrannical home planet to come and live on Earth.

tFCdadfl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.5
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.1
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 83.3%

Episode 1: "Don't Forget To Turn Left"
    I only have vague memories of this one, but was a big fan of Aussie kids shows along these lines of this era (Girl From Tomorrow, Spellbinder, etc), so had high expectations for this and it didn't disappoint at all. Essentially a set-up episode, I'm guessing the real fun will begin in the next one, but as set-up episodes go, this is a solid one, and does a good job at establishing the overall tone of the series. This whet the appetite and I'm all geared up to see what happens next.

Episode 2: "Exiles on Renmark Street"
    This reminds me a bit of a kid's version of 3rd Rock From The Sun in terms of the familial hierarchy and just the general aliens coming to terms with how things work on Earth, although it actually pre-dates 3rd Rock by three years. The stuff on Earth is all great, although I'm less interested in the goings on of the Intergalactic Police, even though I'm sure that will play a big part later in the series and become very important, at the moment it's a bit detracting from the fun stuff.

Episode 3: "Next Item On The Schedule: School"
    A lot more time was spent with the Intergalactic Police in this episode, and while that story is growing on me, the best parts are by far still the Earthbound escapades and I just wanted more from that side of things. Still very enjoyable though and the story is progressing along nicely.

Final Thoughts:
    Will continue watching this since it is such a fun show and I'm genuinely interested to see how everything plays out with these characters. I'm pretty sure as its based on a book it got to tell the whole story (as in it wasn't cancelled or anything), so hopefully will have a satisfying conclusion.

Which leaves us with our Podiums and Nodiums...

Top 3 and Bottom 3...

(in alphabetical order)

Alfred Borden
    cee_jay
    JP Liz V1
    Kolido*
    Necro*
    SineadSpears

*These two always seem to find themselves here... :pac:

• Advertisement

200.gif

Advertisement