Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 12th with 3 points is
    cee_jay

Thunderbirds

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057790/
    IMDB wrote:
    In either the year 2026 or 2065, the Tracy family run International Rescue - a top-secret organization whose ongoing mission is to rescue people trapped in extraordinarily dangerous situations.

i0PAzyvl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 4.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 3.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 53%

Episode 1: "Trapped In The Sky"
    Aesthetically this is very pleasing, it's really well put together, and I do enjoy the marionette style, so I have to give it lots of props on that level alone. I wasn't however particularly interested in the story, it was fairly basic, a bit slow, and didn't do a great job at establishing who the main characters are. There's definitely potential for it to be a lot better though, it entirely depends on what the story/rescue mission of the week is, so I am hopeful that the next two episodes might be more to my liking.

Episode 2: "Pit of Peril"
    Again, I have to give this a lot of points for style alone, the whole thing is really well done and I enjoyed the addition of live-action establishing shots at the beginning of the Safari Animals. The story isn't all that different from the last episode, and it was just a bit bland and slow again, but it did look impressive.

Episode 3: "The Perils of Penelope"
    This was almost an entirely different show to the first two. Instead of a rescue mission of the week, we got more of an espionage thriller, that not only let the production show off in new ways, but allowed for actual character work and development, particularly for Lady Penelope and Parker. Very well done and very enjoyable.

Final Thoughts:
    It's a shame all three episodes weren't more like the third one, because that was an interesting show and I'd gladly watch more like that, whereas outside of the novelty of the production, the first two offered very little of interest. May check out a few more episodes at some point if there's more along the lines of the third one.

In 3rd with 12 points is
    SineadSpears

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115341/
    IMDB wrote:
    When a sixteen-year-old high school student finds out she's a witch, her two aunts offer guidance on how to control her newly-discovered magical powers.

tq6BCSTl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 7.8
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.3
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 84.6%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    Incredibly cheesy, questionable acting, sloppy dialogue, but it was a lot of fun, great trip down memory lane, and I really enjoyed it. It does all the thing a pilot needs to do, introduces the characters, sets up the premise, and gives a taste of what can be expected on a weekly basis. The Salem puppet is pretty weird looking, I remember that being a lot more realistic, but Nick Bakay's voice is cool as ever, so that's the main thing.

Episode 2: "Bundt Friday"
    There's still some dodgy acting, and the dialogue is a tad wooden, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it more than the first episode, and I can't lie because I had some of Sabrina's Bundt Cake with the truth sprinkles on it (that probably sounds like an innuendo, but it isn't, so get your minds out of the gutters). Doesn't feel like everyone is comfortable in their roles yet, but the story is good enough to forgive a lot of that stuff. It was a flawed but fun episode, and Salem is already looking a lot better than he did last time.

Episode 3: "The True Adventures of Rudy Kazootie"
    Mitosis is… Mitosis is… Mitosis is… the running gag I remember most from Sabrina, and I say running gag, but I'm pretty sure it's only a thing in this episode, so there's also a good chance I used to just see this episode a lot back when Sabrina was constantly on Network Two and Nickelodeon. It's a great episode, feels much more natural than the first two episodes, and the characters are coming into their own a bit more ; although neither Jenny nor Libby appear in this one, which is probably for the best as I didn't much care for them in the previous two.

Final Thoughts:
    I remember the first season of Sabrina being a bit 'meh' in general, and didn't really think it hit its stride until season two, when there's a couple of cast changes and some ongoing arcs, but there are obviously some gems in the first season too, so definitely going to do a full re-watch, as this was a firm favourite of mine when I was a kid.

In 13th with 2 points is
    Kolido

The X-Files

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/
    IMDB wrote:
    Two F.B.I. Agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, investigate the strange and unexplained, while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.

yJMVpgxl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 3.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 2.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 4.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 34.3%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    I always thought that The X-Files would either be exciting or fun or both, but its incredibly bland. It's not bad necessarily, it's just quite boring. Having seen David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in other shows, they can be very charismatic actors, but the biggest mystery in this show is who sucked the charisma out of them, because they're mostly bland and emotionless here. On paper this is a show that I should enjoy, and I can sense the potential in it, but this episode fell flat. Hopefully things turn around for the better in the next one.

Episode 2: "Deep Throat"
    Entirely aware that X-Files has a massive fan base and people generally love it, but I'm just not getting the appeal. It seems the target audience is tinfoil-hats, so the show remains "grounded" enough that those nutjobs can point to The X-Files and say "of course aliens are real, man, just look at the X-Files… the truth is out there", so instead of being a fun sci-fi show, it's a boring slog fest of mystery misery. Even a guest appearance from Seth Green couldn't pique my interest. One more episode to prove me wrong, but as of now this show just isn't for me.

Episode 3: "Squeeze"
    This had a somewhat intriguing story, so was slightly more watchable than the first two, but the problems I had with how dull and bland everything about The X-Files is, still remains. Donal Logue is one of the guest stars this episode, but much like Seth Green in the last one, an appearance from an actor I generally like doesn't manage to elevate things in the slightest.

Final Thoughts:
    The biggest mystery about the X-Files is why so many people love it. It should be an interesting and fun show, but it has its head shoved so far up its own arse its used to being surrounded by sh*t, and we all know the expression about polishing turds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yikes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Well, there goes my lead at the top of the table! :O

• Advertisement

In 2nd with 13 points is
    Alfred Borden

Johnny Bravo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118360/
    IMDB wrote:
    The misadventures of a dumb blond egomaniac who is deluded about his own manliness.

zvXynV8l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 7.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 90.3%

Episode 1: "Johnny Bravo/Jungle Boy in 'Mr. Monkeyman'/Johnny Bravo and the Amazon Women"
    Johnny Bravo is such a random and weird show to be made for kids, wherein the titular character is a womanizing grown man with an Elvis-like voice and low IQ, and yet those of us who watched it as kids absolutely loved it. I hadn't watched this since seeing it back during my childhood, and it holds up surprisingly well. It was an enjoyable episode, had some good laughs, didn't necessarily blow me away or stand-out too much from the pack, but pretty decent overall.

Episode 2: "Super Duped/Bungled in the Jungle/Bearly Enough Time!"
    The three sketches this week were all far funnier and cleverer than those in the first episode, and a better showcase for the show overall. It helped that the Jungle Boy sketch this episode actually featured Johnny, so there was more of a consistency through all three sketches. Some great voice talent involved in the show in general, including Mark Hamill, Maurice LaMarche, and Brock Peters, but gotta give the most props to the main man here Jeff Bennet, does such a great job as Johnny you'd almost believe Elvis himself was doing the voice, was he not already dead… sorry… sorry… I meant to say "taking a break"…

Episode 3: "The Sensitive Male/Bravo Dooby Doo"
    This was an unexpected and absolute treat. The first sketch is entirely dedicated to Johnny's womanizing ways as he gets advice through song about how to pick up chicks and it's hilarious, and I didn't think anything could follow that, but then the second sketch is a crossover with Scooby Doo which was delightful and everything you'd expect if you put Johnny Bravo in the same room with the Scooby Gang. As Johnny himself would say, it was Groovy!

Final Thoughts:
    I really didn't think this would hold up as well as it did, but it truly stands the test of time and is as good today as it was back when it first aired. I'm going to continue watching these, and anyone who was ever a fan of Johnny Bravo, it's well worth going back to and if you're going to watch just one episode definitely go for "The Sensitive Male/Bravo Dooby Doo"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Episode 3: "Squeeze"
    That's the one with the killer who could squeeze through air vents etc? I remember that terrifying me at the time!

Has anyone ever won 3 rounds in a row in a Walrus? Has anyone even won 3 rounds in a single Walrus?

Is Necro about to make history?

Or will Liz send him tumbling all the way down?

tenor.gif

Stop doing this to me, a nice mid-table finish would be fine :pac:

That's the one with the killer who could squeeze through air vents etc? I remember that terrifying me at the time!

That's the one, if only it had terrified me it would have done well, I enjoy being scared... I was not... ;)

• Advertisement

That's the one, if only it had terrified me it would have done well, I enjoy being scared... I was not... ;)
    Yeah, I was young(er) then, not sure it would have the same effect on my old cynical brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Still effing terrifies me :O
    I didn't watch x-files religiously, but have seen a good number of episodes over the years. Somehow I've managed to accidentally end up on this one 3 times :D

History will not be made today...

In last place with 1 point is
    Necro

Thundercats

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088631/
    IMDB wrote:
    A team of humanoid cats fight evil in their adopted home world.

MtE6tBUl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 3.6
    Episode 2 Rating: 2
    Episode 3 Rating: 4.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 34%

Episode 1: "Exodus"
    Aside from the Theme Song, I remember sweet feck all about Thundercats as I was very very young when I used to watch it, so wasn't sure what to expect. It wasn't great. The voice acting ranges from bad to excruciatingly annoying (bloody Snarf). The story is pretty interesting, but we really don't see a lot of it ; they spend twenty minutes establishing what really should've been done in five minutes. If I can get used to the voices and they don't drag the arse out of the next episode like they did here, there's some potential at least to become better going forward.

Episode 2: "The Unholy Alliance"
    I'm starting to think the only reason any of us ever liked this as kids was because of the epic theme tune, because aside from that it's pretty awful. None of the characters offer anything memorable or fun in the way of personality, especially in comparison to other cartoon characters of the time. The story plods along here again, but it's lost any of the previous intrigue. I'm not holding my breath for a great turn-around in quality by episode three either.

Episode 3: "Berbils"
    Not necessarily a big improvement in quality, but at the very least this was the most fun episode of the three, so it was somewhat less painful to watch. I found the Ro-Bear Berbils (robot bears) far more interesting than the Thundercats themselves, and would probably find a show all about just the Berbils a lot more entertaining.

Final Thoughts:
    Of all the shows in the entire Walrus, it's probably fair to say that this is the one that has aged the worst, and whether it was actually all that good to begin with is probably a matter for debate. Tastes are subjective or course, but I doubt there'd be many people championing this show based on these three episodes.

In 1st with 14 points is
    JP Liz V1

ALF

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090390/
    IMDB wrote:
    A furry alien wiseguy comes to live with the Tanner family after crashing into their garage.

yC3heOWl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.3
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.2
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 94.3%

Episode 1: "A.L.F."
    Absolutely cracking show, loved it as a kid, and love it just as much now. ALF is hilarious, and the rest of the characters are also very likeable straight off the bat, especially Kate and Willie who bounce off ALF very well. No time wasted setting up the premise here, they just get in, get the job done, and there's some great gags throughout. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Episode 2: "Strangers In The Night"
    Loved this episode, lots of fun from beginning to end, very cleverly written, and Paul Fusco's delivery of ALF's voice is perfect. The Tanner family are sidelined slightly this episode, as their neighbours, the Ochmonek's, take center stage alongside ALF, which is a bold move for a second episode of a family sitcom, but Liz Sheridan and John LaMotta are superb in the parts. Throw in a brief appearance from Larry Hankin (that's Mr. Heckles from Friends, for those of you who are obsessed with the Central Perk crew) that serves as the cherry on top of this episode.

Episode 3: "Looking For Lucky"
    Another great episode. Not a home run like the last one, but still very good. I'd imagine this show doesn't really have any bad episode, because as long as ALF is cracking wise and bringing his trademark sarcasm to the table, it's always gonna be a fun time. Nothing more to say about this one, was good fun, the TV equivalent of comfort food, and that's all I could ask for.

Final Thoughts:
    There was talk a few years ago of an ALF reboot and honestly that's something I could've gotten on board for if Paul Fusco still voiced and puppeteerd ALF, would've been great to see ALF's take on the 21st Century. Sadly the reboot never came to be, but to be fair these episodes have held up very well, so I'm going to settle for a full re-watch of the original run instead ; who needs the 21st Century when you can revisit the '80s.

Unlucky Necro

I loved Thundercats back in the day, but sounds like it's one of those that should stay back in the day.

tenor.gif?itemid=3493332

I regret nothing :P I have the boxset and the kids absolutely love it. Maybe it is one of those that's just a kids show though

Unlucky Necro

I loved Thundercats back in the day, but sounds like it's one of those that should stay back in the day.

I was shown Thundercats recently, my partner has it all on DVD. He still thinks it is great.

cee_jay wrote: »
    I was shown Thundercats recently, my partner has it all on DVD. He still thinks it is great.

But did you, the description above suggests otherwise? ;)

Necro wrote: »

I regret nothing :P I have the boxset and the kids absolutely love it. Maybe it is one of those that's just a kids show though
    cee_jay wrote: »

Uh oh.... :eek:

CreamySoftKinkajou-max-14mb.gif

:D:D

In what I believe to be their Walrus Debut, Alfred Borden jumps into first place. ShaneU hops into 2nd, as Davis Wrong Tweed clings on to the podium by a single point. At the other side of things, it's not looking great for poor Kolido, but with 3 rounds proper left two play, and two bonus rounds that could change absolutely everything, who knows what may happen yet...

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    Alfred Borden 10 10 6 12 13 51
    ShaneU 14 1 12 11 11 49
    Davis Wrong Tweed 7 14 7 13 6 47
    cee_jay 13 6 13 11 3 46
    JP Liz V1 11 12 2 7 14 46
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 10 7 9 40
    the purple tin 12 9 8 1 10 40
    SineadSpears 5 3 11 9 12 40
    Sawduck 9 7 9 8 4 37
    Necro 2 4 14 14 1 35
    JohnGreenFan 7 11 4 5 7 34
    aaronjennings 8 5 3 5 8 29
    Irish Aris 3 8 5 2 5 23
    Kolido 4 2 1 5 2 14

• Advertisement

I would have sent you Batman, the live action one from the 60s with the POWs and other onscreen words to hide fights :D

Not sure if it has aged well, or if episode 1-3 hold up, but it was a tv rerun staple of my Saturday morning youth :)

ari101 wrote:
    I would have sent you Batman, the live action one from the 60s with the POWs and other onscreen words to hide fights

I was torn between that, Thundercats and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Just can't catch a break in this game :)

Though I think I dodged a bullet there. Am I allowed to say why LeVar?

Another great reveal and congrats to Liz, I'd have to say I hated ALF back in the day and havent watched it since, doubt my opinion has changed.

ari101 wrote: »
    But did you, the description above suggests otherwise? ;)

I found it all kinds of terrible :D

Uh oh.... :eek:

CreamySoftKinkajou-max-14mb.gif

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 10 7 9 40
    the purple tin 12 9 8 1 10 40
    SineadSpears 5 3 11 9 12 40
    tenor.gif?itemid=17303376

I was torn between that, Thundercats and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D

Oooh TMNT... forgot that... makes my wonder what else I've forgotten :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I don't remember the original Lost in Space. I may have watched it just can't remember it.

I liked the newer one & really looking forward to the next season of it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

ari101 wrote: »
    Oooh TMNT... forgot that... makes my wonder what else I've forgotten :pac:

Captain planet, here's our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Captain planet, here's our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero
    Made me think of "Bucky, Captain Bucky O'Hare
    Mutants and Aliens and Toads beware"

Advertisement