Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Necro wrote: »
    I regret nothing :P I have the boxset and the kids absolutely love it. Maybe it is one of those that's just a kids show though

I have fond memories too, though I haven't watched since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just got those last few posts up in time before I had to go MIA, sorry if I rushed that reveal slightly.

Right, so my plan was to do the next 2 rounds tomorrow, in a similar timeframe as today, and then have the final round and bonus rounds on Saturday evening, but as I mentioned some real life stuff has crept up and I'm going to have to play things by ear, and things may change hour to hour. There's a chance I may have to disappear altogether and postpone reveals for a good few days at some point, as I just got word there before I did that reveal that my Grandad could pass away at any minute (or it could be days or weeks yet ; been expecting it for months, if not longer, but still he was the main father figure in my life, so I may not be in the right headspace or have the energy to do a reveal when the time comes).

At the moment, it's a great distraction to keep doing these, so hoping to continue as planned. If I have to postpone for a few days I'll either let you know myself (or perhaps ask a little birdie to pass the message on :pac:) And if I ever go MIA mid-reveal, you'll know why and I'll get back to it as soon as I can, and I'll expect plenty of gifs in my absence... :D

Hope you're all still enjoying the reveals anyway...

Apologies for the After School Special moment... ;)

Here's a gif to make up for the heavy post...

giphy.gif

Kolido wrote: »
    Just can't catch a break in this game :)

Though I think I dodged a bullet there. Am I allowed to say why LeVar?

Another great reveal and congrats to Liz, I'd have to say I hated ALF back in the day and havent watched it since, doubt my opinion has changed.

Yes, of course you can say... :D

Fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Look after yourself mate. Glad to hear fun and games here can help. Hope your granda isn't doing too badly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Take your time, real life always takes priority. My grandmother passed away last month after spending weeks in hospital, so I know what you're going through

If you need someone to talk to, you can fire me a PM at any time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

My original pick in that last round was Thundercats, I upgraded slightly to The X Files :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Sorry to hear that LeVar - real life should always come first so look after yourself.

Sorry to hear Levar, don't worry about us.

ari101 wrote: »
    I would have sent you Batman, the live action one from the 60s with the POWs and other onscreen words to hide fights :D

Not sure if it has aged well, or if episode 1-3 hold up, but it was a tv rerun staple of my Saturday morning youth :)

I have never actually seen a full episode of '60 Live Action Batman, but I'm guessing it'd be a bit like Wonder Woman from the previous round, and I've seen clips from it which I liked, so it probably would've been
    Necro wrote: »
    I was torn between that, Thundercats and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D

Turtles I think would've done well. It was certainly my show and even if it was bit dodgy in certain aspects, nostalgia alone would've pushed it up a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Whatever works for you, lots of people here to engage in the distraction if needed, and if RL steals you, will be here still when you are ready to come back. Take care of number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I even had a alf toy but not sure where it is now

Thank you LeVar, and mind yourself!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Sorry to hear thatLeVar. Whatever works best for you. Its just a game, we can wait if needs be. But equally we'll be here for you if you a bit of a distraction. Take it easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Ah sorry to hear about your grandad Lavar, take all the time you need and know that we are all here for you

Just got those last few posts up in time before I had to go MIA, sorry if I rushed that reveal slightly.

Right, so my plan was to do the next 2 rounds tomorrow, in a similar timeframe as today, and then have the final round and bonus rounds on Saturday evening, but as I mentioned some real life stuff has crept up and I'm going to have to play things by ear, and things may change hour to hour. There's a chance I may have to disappear altogether and postpone reveals for a good few days at some point, as I just got word there before I did that reveal that my Grandad could pass away at any minute (or it could be days or weeks yet ; been expecting it for months, if not longer, but still he was the main father figure in my life, so I may not be in the right headspace or have the energy to do a reveal when the time comes).

At the moment, it's a great distraction to keep doing these, so hoping to continue as planned. If I have to postpone for a few days I'll either let you know myself (or perhaps ask a little birdie to pass the message on :pac:) And if I ever go MIA mid-reveal, you'll know why and I'll get back to it as soon as I can, and I'll expect plenty of gifs in my absence... :D

Hope you're all still enjoying the reveals anyway...

Apologies for the After School Special moment... ;)

Here's a gif to make up for the heavy post...

giphy.gif

I am very sorry LeVar, take care

Take your time, real life always takes priority. My grandmother passed away last month after spending weeks in hospital, so I know what you're going through

If you need someone to talk to, you can fire me a PM at any time

I am sorry Aaron too

Hoping to go for the Underrated & Unappreciated Reveal at about 4pm as planned

Something I may have chosen for this round is...

The Mick

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5638056/
    IMDB wrote:
    A hard-living aunt is forced to take care of her wealthy sister's spoiled kids after the mom flees the country to avoid criminal charges.

cbj2kb2l.jpg

Only lasted two seasons unfortunately, but it was a great show, had the criticial acclaim to keep going and the viewership wasn't bad either, but Fox wanted to go with more Reality TV the following season, and their live-action comedy block was the first to be culled. :mad:

Apprehensively looking forward to this one. I submitted the best thing ever created for TV. Nothing you can say will change that fact, but I do genuinely hope you agree with me nonetheless :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mine is definitely a guilty pleasure, not for everyone so also apprehensive about this category :D

Can't remember what I nominated here but I'm sure it was great and will win the round.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Can't remember what I nominated here but I'm sure it was great and will win the round.

I hope you don't, you are my only chance not ending with the wooden spoon :D:pac:

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I hope you don't, you are my only chance not ending with the wooden spoon :D:pac:

We're only halfway through the game, and the 2 bonus rounds have a crucial part to play, so it really could be anyone's game yet... ;)

I'm still annoyed that my nomination got cancelled, it's why I hate Netflix

No duplicates in this round, so 14 unique entries coming up, kicking off with 8th place in just a couple of minutes...

Sawduck wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed that my nomination got cancelled, it's why I hate Netflix
    I was going to guess what it was but based on that there's loads of options, they really are buggers for it

I was going to guess what it was but based on that there's loads of options, they really are buggers for it

They cancelled a whole bunch of shows I watch so I just cancelled Netflix and haven't bothered with it since

Starting off with a 95% total approval rating for middle-of-the-pack, the standard in this round was very very high...

In 8th with 7 points is
    Kolido

Wayward Pines

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/
    IMDB wrote:
    A Secret Service agent goes to Wayward Pines, Idaho, in search of two federal agents who have gone missing in the bucolic town. He soon learns that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.

7RmSeAKl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 8.7
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 95%

Episode 1: "Where Paradise Is Home"
    So I hadn't seen the show before, but I had read the book, and while I thought the book had a good plot, I didn't like Blake Crouch's writing style, the characters were pretty poor in general, and I hated the main character, Ethan Burke. Some of those problems seem to have carried over into the TV show, the mystery and intrigue is great, but I'm not really invested in any of the characters. I'll give Matt Dillon his props though, because even though I despised Ethan in the books, by the end of this first episode, Dillon's performance is strong enough that I'm happy to follow him as a character. Same goes for some of the other character, casting the likes of Terence Howard, Juliette Lewis, Toby Jones, Carla Gugino, and Reed Diamond wins me over and makes me like watching these characters even though the writing hasn't necessarily earned that investment yet. It's a very strong pilot in terms of plot and premise though, and I only vaguely remember how it plays out in the book, so I enjoyed it overall, and if they develop the characters well over the next two episodes, I could grow to like it even more.

Episode 2: "Do Not Discuss Your Life Before"
    Everything kicks up a gear in this episode, the pacing is great, and I give a sh*t about the characters because they're being played well and given some personality by the actors, unlike in the book. The mystery aspect of the book was always great, and that's done just as well, if not better, here. Not much more to say about this one other than it was a great, thoroughly enjoyable episode.

Episode 3: "Our Town, Our Law"
    Another cracking episode, the pacing is great, and the story is moving along at breakneck speed. Plenty of layers added to the mystery again this episode, and the acting is fantastic. Shannyn Sossamon and Terrence Howard are definitely the MVP's of this episode, but there are no weak links in the cast, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.

Final Thoughts:
    The quality of this round was superb, with the Top 10 here all scoring an Approval Rating of over 89%, and it was very tight between Wayward Pines and the two above it in the rankings here, but the first episode, despite being still very good, dragged the average down a bit. Excellent show though and I'm looking forward to continuing with it. If it wasn't for the book souring my opinion, I would've watched it long ago, because the premise alone is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Oh that's not good for me :pac:

Oh that's not good for me :pac:

Maybe. Maybe Not. I ain't saying. :cool:

• Advertisement

In 7th with 8 points is
    ShaneU

I Am Not Okay With This

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9446688/
    IMDB wrote:
    Sydney is a teenage girl navigating the trials and tribulations of high school while dealing with the complexities of her family, her budding sexuality, and mysterious superpowers just beginning to awaken deep within her.

aOHW93Ul.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.5
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 95.3%

Episode 1: "Dear Diary…"
    What I like the most about I Am Not Okay With This is that everything about it feels and looks like its set in the late 1970s, except that it's very clearly set in the present day because they use occasionally use smartphones as well as a couple of references in the dialogue that clearly set it at least somewhere in the 2010s. A couple of other shows have done this recently, including The End of the F**king World (which is also based on a comic from Charles Forsman) and Sex Education, and they never explain it, it's clearly just a style choice and as kids these days say, I am here for it. The premise is good too, hard not to compare it to Carrie because of the whole telekinetic thing, but that's not a bad thing to be compared to at all.

Episode 2: "The Master of One F**k"
    Supernatural abilities aside, I'd gladly just watch a show with absolutely no plot where Sydney and Stanley just wander around their not-actually-the-1970s town hanging out with each other, and occasionally getting high. Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff are so good at playing incredibly awkward teens, and it's so much fun just watching them interact, and it makes me sad that the only reason this show isn't getting a second season is because of that stupid pandemic.

Episode 3: "The Party's Over"
    As much as I loved the last episode where it was mostly just Sydney and Stan, I really really loved the focus here on both the relationship between Syd and her brother, Liam, and Syd and her best friend, Dina. Gave Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff their props in the last write-up, but Aidan Wojtak-Hissong and Kathleen Rose Perkins also knocked it out of the park in this one as Liam and Dina. Everything kicks up a gear, there's some great character progression, and the episode is also nearly ten minutes longer than the previous two, which were quite short.

Final Thoughts:
    I had actually only watched this at the start of the first lockdown back in March, which at this point feels like a million years ago, so I'm ready to continue this re-watch (I mean, there's only 4 more episodes anyway, but even if there was way more than that, I'd still be ready to re-watch). This show getting renewed intially, and then having that decision reversed solely because of the pandemic, really stings.

Advertisement