Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sawduck wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed that my nomination got cancelled, it's why I hate Netflix

Me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 9th with 6 points is
    cee_jay

Steven Universe

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3061046/
    IMDB wrote:
    A team of intergalactic warriors fights to protect the universe, but the combination of three highly trained beings and one quirky young boy leaves the team struggling to overcome the dangerous scenarios that are put in front of them.

nWCcjMDl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.5
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 92.3%

Episode 1: "Gem Glow"
    Steven Universe was a show that I had heard so much about and that had been hyped up so much, had been compared to Adventure Time (which I loved) that when I first watched it a few years ago, I didn't think it would live up to expectations, but as soon as I started watching this episode, I knew it was a show I was gonna love, and it exceeded my expectations ; it's even better than Adventure Time. It's very clever, it's very silly, and just pure fun.

Episode 2: "Laser Light Cannon"
    Not quite as strong as the first episode, but still excellent, has some great laughs in it, and introduces Greg Universe, Steven's Dad, who is always fun whenever he shows up. It also introduces one of my favourite of expressions of the 21st Century… "if every Pork Chop were perfect, we wouldn't have Hot Dogs."

Episode 3: "Cheeseburger Backpack"
    Another great episode, enjoyed it slightly more than the first, and I think it does a good job at highlighting the personalities of Garnet and Pearl a bit more than the first two episodes do, while Steven and Amethyst seemed a bit more fully formed from the first episode. The stakes of the episode also aren't played as high as the first two episodes, so it allows for a bit more fun in general.

Final Thoughts:
    The quality in this round was particularly high, which is a shame because 92.3% is a fantastic overall rating, and in a few of the other rounds this would've been in the upper end of things. Love the show though, often throw on a few episodes of Steven Universe whenever I want a slice of light feel-good entertainment.

In 6th with 9 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Utopia

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/
    IMDB wrote:
    After a group of people, who meet online, discover a bizarre graphic novel which seems to hold mysterious answers, they find themselves being tracked down by a merciless organization known merely as 'The Network'.

o7HnS7xl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.8
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.5
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 95.6%

Episode 1: "Episode 1"
    I remember watching this when it first aired, I remember talking to it with the people I worked with back in 2013 because we were all watching it, so I know I've definitely seen it before and it's all very familiar, as it's unfolding I'm recalling seeing these scenes before, but I can't for the life of me remember what happens. You get hooked on this from the very first scene and even though it's hard to figure out what the f**k is happening (I'm sure I understood at one point in time, when I first watched it, but have since forgotten that I understood it), it's edge of your seat TV the whole time. I'm actually glad I don't remember any of the details, because it's almost like watching it for the first time. Roll on the next episode.

Episode 2: "Episode 2"
    Not quite as strong as the first episode, pacing was a bit slower and it didn't quite hit the same highs, but ended on another big twist, and I genuinely can't remember what happens, so very much looking forward to the next episode. Forgot to mention in the previous write-up that I really love the colour scheme, nice and bright, which is a great contrast to how grim the show can be at times.

Episode 3: "Episode 3"
    The story progresses along nicely here, although it's still a bit of a slow burn. Lots of intrigue, and the jigsaw isn't getting much clearer yet as pieces are just shuffled around the table, but not set into place yet. All the acting has been great throughout the three episodes, but I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to Neil Maskell who is just superb and knocking it out of the park every episode.

Final Thoughts:
    Have to continue with this, because even though it does continue to seem familiar throughout episode three, I still can't recall how it played out whatsoever, so it almost feels like I'm watching it for the first time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 6th with 9 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Utopia
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 95.6%
    Not bad :p
    Seriously strong round it seems!

It does all make sense in the end. And series two really adds to it, then it got cancelled :mad:

In 10th with 5 points is
    JP Liz V1

Santa Clarita Diet

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580540/
    IMDB wrote:
    Sheila and Joel are married real estate agents in Santa Clarita, California. When Sheila dies, their lives take a dark turn.

VGx1XVGl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.1
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.5
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 89.3%

Episode 1: "So Then a Bat or a Monkey"
    Santa Clarita Diet is a fun show, very funny, very clever, and has a fairly solid cast… with the exception of Nathan Fillion. If you cast your minds back to the Tried & Tested Formula round, you may remember that I was quite fickle over whether I like Nathan Fillion as an actor or not, and this is one of the instances where I really don't like him. His character is meant to be unlikeable and it is only a guest role, but he's by far the weakest in it. Timothy Olyphant, Liv Hewson, and Skyler Gisondo more than make up for Fillion's pathetic performance though and are all very charismatic in their roles, although I do have a bit of a question mark over Drew Barrymore at this point as she can be a bit iffy in certain scenes. Overall though, I really liked it, great premise and well written.

Episode 2: "We Can't Kill People!"
    Kept up everything I liked from the first episode, and I think Barrymore has hit her stride in this one, feels like she's on a par with the other three main actors now anyway. The B plot with Abby and Eric wasn't as strong as what was going on with Sheila and Joel, would've been nice to have more of the four of them in the same room together, but aside from that, another great episode.

Episode 3: "We Can Kill People"
    Doesn't pack quite the same punch as the first two episodes and not quite as funny either, but still enjoyable. Again, I think Abby and Eric being off on their own side-adventure took away from the main plot with Joel and Sheila. Having seen the series before I know later all four tend to be singing off the same hyms sheet, but as they haven't reached that point yet it seems the writers just need something for the teens to do until they become more involved in the main storyline. It's a minor criticism in the grand scheme of things, but just made me enjoy it a bit less.

Final Thoughts:
    I had seen the first two seasons before, but hadn't gotten around to season three yet, and it's been so long since I finished season two, it's probably worth my while doing a full re-watch of the first two seasons anyway, but will certainly be continuing on with this.

• Advertisement

I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to Neil Maskell who is just superb and knocking it out of the park every episode
    And just to add that this is always true, I've never seen him be anything other than brilliant. His character in this really develops too, and he delivers it wonderfully

A cancellation that I too was furious about...

In 5th with 10 points is
    Sawduck

American Vandal

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6877772/
    IMDB wrote:
    A true-crime satire that explores the aftermath of a costly high school prank that left twenty-seven faculty cars vandalized with phallic images.

UF8jWkyl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 96.6%

Episode 1: "Hard Facts: Vandalism and Vulgarity"
    The biggest crime of the last decade was that American Vandal only got two seasons. Two perfect seasons I might add. I still mourn the fact that there'll never be another ridiculous case to document. When I first heard about the show and was told that it's a True Crime Documentary Parody sending up the likes of Making A Murderer, and that the first season is about a high-school film crew trying to figure out who spray-painted penises on all of the cars in the teacher's parking lot whilst also trying to prove the innocence of the school douchebag, I thought it sounded like the stupidest most juvenile thing ever created. And it is indeed incredibly juvenile, but it's also pure genius, the writing is top notch, and the fact that all the characters take such a ridiculous crime so unbelievably serious is just amazing. This first episode does a phenomenal job at setting the tone and selling the premise. It's also genuinely compelling, even though it's a parody, there's still a real mystery at the heart of it and you really want to find out, who drew the dicks.

Episode 2: "A Limp Alibi"
    They double down on the silliness for this episode, and it's even more ridiculous and juvenile than the first episode is. It's not quite as funny as the first episode and they probably spend a bit too much time on one or two things, but as a parody it nails the types of documentaries it's lampooning, and I still really loved it.

Episode 3: "Nailed"
    The "high stakes" motives they give people for this "low stakes" documentary series, are really really clever, and I think it's that juxtaposition of being completely ridiculous but everyone plays it so life and death, that make it so enjoyable. The twists and turns in the story are also fantasic. This episode and the previous one, if I'm remembering correctly, are a bit of a slow burn, but then from the next one onwards it's all killer, no filler so to speak, but even these filler (for lack of a better word) episodes have been amazing.

Final Thoughts:
    Was fun going back to this, think I had binged it all the day it was released on Netflix in 2017, and I can't remember exactly how it plays out, so I'm genuinely invested in it again. If memory serves, the second season is even better than the first, and that's a tall order considering the first is so good. Maybe if we keep spreading the word and more people go watch this, Netflix may revive it for a third series, and given its anthology format, it could easily come back after being away for a few years.

And just to add that this is always true, I've never seen him be anything other than brilliant. His character in this really develops too, and he delivers it wonderfully

Loved him in Humans as well.

In 7th with 8 points is
    ShaneU

I Am Not Okay With This
    This is the one from the people who made The End Of The F*cking World, isn't it? I thought that was brilliant, must get around to this

This is the one from the people who made The End Of The F*cking World, isn't it? I thought that was brilliant, must get around to this

Yep, same people. Of the two I actually preferred I Am Not Okay With This overall, I have to say.

• Advertisement

In 11th with 4 points is
    Irish Aris

12 Monkeys

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3148266/
    IMDB wrote:
    Follows the journey of a time traveler from the post-apocalyptic future who appears in present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will nearly destroy the human race.

8ebKJYel.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.1
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 79.3%

Episode 1: "Splinter"
    Had seen at least the first few episodes of this a few years ago, and saw the film several times back in early 2000s as I had it on DVD. I'm pretty sure I liked the show when I last watched it, and fairly sure the only reason I stopped was I started a new job at the time, and some TV Shows fell to the wayside. Pretty decent pilot, sets everything up and sprinkles in enough intrigue, although I do think it's lacking any levity and the characters aren't captivating enough to be deadly serious all the time ; a bit of humour sprinkled throughout would've elevated it a bit more for me. Always a fan of time travel though, so overall still very much enjoyed it. It was also quite apt in the times that we're in, that the show is about a virus sweeping through and taking out the population, and the show opens with Cassie giving a lecture on how we need to be prepared to combat any potential pandemics.

Episode 2: "Mentally Divergent"
    Enjoyed it marginally more than the first episode, it's moving along and dripping in more intrigue and introducing more questions slowly, and I'm enjoying the main actors, Aaron Stanford and Amanda Schull, slightly more, although being a fan of Kirk Acevedo and Emily Hampshire from other shows, I'm already more invested in their characters, and they both got more to do this episode. I still think it's missing a bit of levity, and even though Acevedo and Hampshire do bring a little bit of humour, everyone else still feels a bit stiff and wooden.

Episode 3: "Cassandra Complex"
    Not quite as good this week, for timey wimey reasons that sees Cole off on a solo side mission that only manages to progress the overall story in a single scene. Amanda Schull is really growing on me though as Cassandra, and some interesting seeds are planted in the 2043 scenes. Enjoyable enough, but not as strong as the first two episodes.

Final Thoughts:
    I'm interested in seeing where things go and how the story pans out, so will continue watching this. Not top of my list to dive straight into after the Walrus, but definitely going to get around to it at some point.

In 4th with 11 points is
    aaronjennings

Reverie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6461746/
    IMDB wrote:
    A former hostage negotiator takes a job retrieving people who are lost in a virtual reality program.

wv9s1Ugl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 97.3%

Episode 1: "Apertus"
    This had been on my radar since the One Season Wonder TV Tournament, but hadn't gotten around to watching it yet. My expectations were high, and it not only met them, but easily surpassed them. I was a big fan of Sarah Shahi from Person Of Interest, and also really like Dennis Haysbert and Sendhil Ramamurthy, so in terms of likeable and capable cast I can't fault it. The premise is fantastic, the episode is brilliant, and I'm already angry that this show only got ten episodes, which of course means my expectations are incredibly high for the next episode, but I am looking forward to it.

Episode 2: "Bond. Jane Bond."
    Kept up the quality of the first episode, glad that it could maintain that standard, and for the most part was very much on a par with the premiere, but there was one scene towards the end that I really really liked that elevated the whole episode for me, and gives it just a slight edge over the pilot. My disappointment that a strong had the plug pulled on it so early on grows even more.

Episode 3: "No More Mr. Nice Guy"
    The level of quality has been fairly consistent throughout all three episodes here, even though I enjoyed the second episode marginally more, it's been a smooth run of episodes. I really like the fact it's shot in a bright and well lit way, because a lot of sci-fi shows like this in recent years opt more towards a dark and gloomy palette, so its refreshing to have something high concept that is glossy and colourful, even if some of the themes in the story can be dark.

Final Thoughts:
    It's annoying that there's only seven more episodes of this to watch, because I already know I want more that that. Great choice for this category, really loved it and looking forward to continuing on with the rest of the series, short as it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

This is a really strong round, a few shows I have always wanted to see too. I wonder what will win this, must be a great show

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I nearly gave up on Santa Clarita Diet after two episodes actually, thought it started fairly weak but kept with it and actually really enjoyed it.

Sweating it out in the Top 3 and Bottom 3 are...

(in alphabetical order)

Alfred Borden
    Davis Wrong Tweed
    JohnGreenFan
    Necro*
    SineadSpears
    the purple tin

*I swear I'm not doing this on purpose Necro :D

Sweating it out in the Top 3 and Bottom 3 are...

(in alphabetical order)

Alfred Borden
    Davis Wrong Tweed
    JohnGreenFan
    Necro*
    SineadSpears
    the purple tin

tenor.gif?itemid=7600419

Mid table, mid range run of the mill round please :D

It appears to be all or nothing and I'm not sure this one is gonna go down well :(

They are, Necro. Don't you forget it when it's your turn ;)

They are, Necro. Don't you forget it when it's your turn ;)

You stay out of this, you pot stirrer... still waiting on you to host any sort of Walrus... :pac:

In 12th with 3 points is
    the purple tin

Brimstone

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165564/
    IMDB wrote:
    A dead cop, sentenced to Hell, is returned to Earth by the Devil to recover 113 escaped evil spirits.

ARWlhaul.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 7.6
    Episode 2 Rating: 3.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 63.6%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    Love the premise here, a dead cop having to track down and return 113 souls who have escaped from Hell, and thought it did a good job at setting that up well. The lighting is very dark, which makes it a strain to keep up with what's going on at times, and while dark lighting is as conscious choice a lot of shows make, I've never been a fan of it, even with shows I otherwise really really like. I found it hard to warm to the lead character here as well, brings broody and mysterious to a new level, and not a whole lot going on in the personality department. That said, though I do really like it and am looking forward to seeing where it goes next.

Episode 2: "Poem"
    A lot of the problems I was able to overlook in the pilot, started to bother me a lot more in this episode, the dark lighting being one, but the main thing is that all of the characters are bland and boring ; I'm not invested in anyone and there aren't really any main supporting characters. Aside from a brief appearance or two from John Glover as The Devil to drop some exposition, it's a one man show for Peter Horton, who I'm not familiar with as an actor, so maybe he's good in other things, but he can't carry a show on his own. The story of the week was also fairly meh compared to last week, not bad necessarily, but nothing memorable either.

Episode 3: "Heat"
    Much better again this week, much more interesting story. The lighting remains a problem, although quite a lot of the action took part during the daytime so it wasn't as bad as the previous two, some of the scenes that took place at night though were like watching shadows fight. The best of the three episodes anyway.

Final Thoughts:
    The premise is good and the first and thrid episodes showed there is good stroytelling, and it has similarities to the first seasons of Angel and Supernatural, and I love those shows so it certainly is good for the most part, but the lighting alone would put me off watching more, and I suppose not having any attachment to the only official cast member there's no real draw to drag me back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Glad you liked Reverie after all that time, definitely could have done with at least another season IMO

• Advertisement

You stay out of this, you pot stirrer... still waiting on you to host any sort of Walrus... :pac:
    It's not my fault the normal list is so slow moving, I'm ready :p

It's not my fault the normal list is so slow moving, I'm ready :p

Go light a fire under the rest of them and if they ain't ready ask if you can leapfrog them in the queue... We always need new Walruses... :D

In 3rd with 12 points is
    Necro

Daybreak

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8755226/
    IMDB wrote:
    High school outcast Josh is searching for his missing girlfriend in post apocalyptic Glendale. He's joined by a group of misfits Angelica and his former bully Wesley. On the way they'll face many weird things.

cOVxBN6l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 98%

Episode 1: "Josh vs. the Apocalypse: Part 1"
    So I actually thought I had watched the first episode of this show before and thought it was crap, but turned out I had just watched the trailer and been told the series was crap, so had never bothered with it. It's pretty good, I like the premise and the humour, a lot of setting up and filling in blanks in this episode, and that was done well ; it never felt like a big exposition drop, even though there was a lot of exposition and explaining things involved. Entertaining and I look forward to seeing where it goes in the next episode.

Episode 2: "Schmuck Bait!"
    Well, that was awesome. There was a great juxtaposition of managing to kick things up a gear, while simultaneously slowing things down long enough to get some character development. Thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. I really enjoy the fourth wall breaking that Josh does, it's done really well and the show in general is very self-aware. Immensely fun and genuinely exciting, I can't fault this episode, had me glued to the screen.

Episode 3: "The Slime Queenpin of Glendale, CA"
    A bit of a change to the format of the storytelling in this one with an alternate narrator for the episode, and I really liked that, and that it feels in-line with what we've already seen this show do, as we already had fourth-wall breaking and Josh walking in and out of of flashbacks in the previous episodes, so it's not a jarring shift and just showcases how creative a show Daybreak is. I'm completely on board and invested in all of the characters at this stage, and again this episode peeled off some more layers and we learned more about those characters. Another perfect episode for me.

Final Thoughts:
    Dying to watch the remainder of the series now, but luckily the end of episode three feels like a good stop-gap, almost and end of chapter one type deal, so I'll be able to hold off another couple of weeks until after the Walrus before bingeing the last few episodes. Great show, and I'm glad it was nominated, because as I said I already thought I had watched some of it and wasn't a fan, but that wasn't the case at all and I would've gone on dismissing it had it not been put forward for this Walrus.

Yay! Daybreak is great - I actually only found it after it had been cancelled (though I didn't know at the time). Genuinely gutted they only gave it one season.

Interesting - I remember Daybreak coming out and thinking I might like it, then completely forgetting about it. Sounds right up my street, have added it to my netflix list

In 13th with 2 points is
    Deleted User

Space Precinct

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108938/
    IMDB wrote:
    The extraterrestrial adventures of former NYPD detective Patrick Brogan, now a lieutenant with the Demeter City police force on the planet Altor. Brogan and his partner Jack Haldane must adjust to living in another solar system, and investigating crimes being committed by aliens as well as humans.

dKqa6Vvl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 0.1
    Episode 2 Rating: 2.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 3.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 20.6%

Episode 1: "Protect and Survive"
    This was painful to watch. It was all over the shop, the acting was mostly awful, the writing was terrible, and it couldn't seem to decide if its target audience were kids or adults ; its far too dark for a kid's show, but it's essentially a Saturday morning live action cartoon (and not a good cartoon). It wasn't even fun, it was just bad, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Episode 2: "Enforcer"
    The acting still ranges from downright dodgy to absolutely abysmal, but the writing is somewhat better, and there was a half decent story at its core, so this one felt a lot less like being waterboarded and had some redeeming qualities. Still quite the struggle to sit through, and excluding the first episode, this episode of Space Precinct wasn't the worst thing I've seen in this tournament.

Episode 3: "Body & Soul"
    I'm probably starting to build an immunity to the bad acting at this point, because it hasn't gotten any better, but its bothering me slightly less. The story was slightly better this week again, so it continued to be a bit more bearable.

Final Thoughts:
    Despite the improvement in the second and third episodes, I'll hopefully never have to endure another episode of Space Precinct again in my life. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will consider this series a Cult Classic and that's fair enough, I like an awful lot of sh*te TV and Movies myself, but this one just isn't for me at all.

In 2nd with 13 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485842/
    IMDB wrote:
    A behind-the-scenes look at a fictional sketch-comedy television show.

ZhYCohAl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 10
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 99.3%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    When I think of the best TV writers, in terms of writing top class dialogue, two names are always at the forefront of my mind. One of them is Amy Sherman-Palladino who is best known for the Gilmore Girls, and has no involvement with this show, I just wanted to give her a shout-out. The other is Aaron Sorkin who is best known for The West Wing and The Newsroom, but also created and wrote this criminally underrated masterpiece. Studio 60 On The Sunset Stip only lasted one season on NBC, because unfortunately that same year another show with essentially the same premise also premiered on the network, and the case always seemed to be that only one of them would be picked up the following year. That other show was 30 Rock, and despite having room for countless police procedurals and medical dramas that were essentially the same, there was only room for one show riffing on Saturday Night Live, even though tonally they were completely different entities, and I'm still salty about it obviously (nothing against 30 Rock, both shows were great and both deserved to go on for many years, sadly Studio 60 got the boot). The pilot is superb, it has a fantastic cast, who I'll probably dive in to more in the next write-up, but as he only appears in this first episode, I have to give props to Judd Hirsch for his performance in this, knocks it out of the park.

Episode 2: "The Cold Open"
    I'm not gonna spend another write-up fanning out over Aaron Sorkin's scriptwriting abilities, so I'll just say that watching the first episodes is a masterclass in television writing, and should be studied in university courses. It's been so long since I've seen this or The West Wing, that I had actually forgotten how much I adore scenes of people walking around busy corridors (with or without clipboards) talking to each other at great speed, and its now how I want to conduct all conversations in my personal life going forward. The acting talent in this show is incredible, and it genuinely annoys me that Matthew Perry is most celebrated as Chandler "f**king" Bing from Friends and not Matt "motherf**king" Albie from Studio 60. At least Bradley Whitford's most celebrated role is from another Aaron Sorkin show, and to be fair his West Wing character is as good as Danny Tripp. I could spend all day just talking about how great the entire cast is, and it's a big ensemble so that's a lot of people to talk about, so I'll just throw in some praise for Amanda Peet here as well as Perry and Whitford, as they're the core three I suppose, and she's fantastic in this too.

Episode 3: "The Focus Group"
    The write-ups on the first two episodes were fairly lengthy, so I'll keep this one short and sweet. Three perfect episodes is a tall order, and this one doesn't quite manage to capture the energy of the first two as they're hard acts to follow, but it's still excellent and damn good television.

Final Thoughts:
    What haven't I said already, I'm obviously a huge fan of this show, and it's been many years since I last watched it, so I'll definitely be giving it a full re-watch.

Episode 1 Rating: 0.1
    FirstClumsyCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Which means Walrus Rookies, Alfred Borden and SineadSpears are fighting for the top and bottom spots of this round.

• Advertisement

You can be sitting atop the overall leaderboard one day, and the next... well... the Walrus is a vicious animal...

In last place with 1 point is
    Alfred Borden

The Shadow Line

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701920/
    IMDB wrote:
    Detective Inspector Jonah Gabriel returns to work after a botched operation that resulted in him sustaining a near-fatal bullet wound. It may be his first day back on the job but he's soon thrown straight into an investigation to uncover the identity of the person responsible for killing a notorious drug baron. Gabriel however is not alone in his enquiries, as Joseph Bede, a former associate of the deceased dealer, is also out to find answers. As the two delve deeper into the mystery, their worlds are set for a collision course.

XEXWzAal.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 0.8
    Episode 2 Rating: 3.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 1.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 18.6%

Episode 1: "Episode 1"
    What do we want? Pitch Meeting! When do we want it? Now!
    • Hugo Blick: I have an idea for a new Crime Drama.
    • BBC Executive: Crime Drama? We like Crima Dramas, they're very popular and we have a reputation for making really compelling Crime Dramas here at the BBC, so what makes yours stand out?
    • Hugo Blick: Well you've hit the nail on the head actually, all Crime Dramas these days are very compelling, so what I want to do is make one that is the opposite of that.
    • BBC Executive: The opposite of compelling?
    • Hugo Blick: Yeah. I mean, I don't want to say it's bad, but yeah, it's pretty bad.
    • BBC Executive: Why would we want to make a bad Crime Drama?
    • Hugo Blick: Because that way it will stand out from the crowd, if all other Crime Dramas are very compelling, then people have too many to choose from, but our hook is that it's not like any of those BAFTA winning, incredibly interesting Crime Dramas, so people who are sick of watching good TV will watch our show instead.
    • BBC Executive: Oddly that makes sense.
    • Hugo Blick: Does it?
    • BBC Executive: In a strage way yes. So who will be in this bland Crime Drama then?
    • Hugo Blick: Well, we've got Christopher Eccleston, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Stephen Rea, and Rafe Spall on board.
    • BBC Executive: But they're four very compelling actors, won't that end up making the show interesting?
    • Hugo Blick: No, the writing will be so bland, and I'm going to direct it too so I'll make sure they can't bring any of their usual charisma to the roles.
    • BBC Executive: Well, it sounds like you have it all worked out, so I'm going to greenlight this project. Is there anything else we need to discuss?
    • Hugo Blick: I feel like one of us should probably mention Cocaine.
    • BBC Executive: Why?
    • Hugo Blick: I don't know, it just felt like something that needed to be said.
    • BBC Executive: Fair enough, now please leave my office, you're bumming me out.
    • Hugo Blick: So will the show.
    • BBC Executive: Sounds awful.
    • Hugo Blick: It will be.

Episode 2: "Episode 2"
    The problem with the writer, director, and producer all being the same person, is there's usually nobody to reign them in when things are pure sh*te or far too long ; having not seen the rest, it's starting to feel this is likely a 2-3 hour story, but Hugo Blick wanted to make his 7 hour mastabatory masterpiece, and nobody stopped him, so he's dragging the sh*te out of it. This episode was still tough going, but a big improvement from the last one, any of the scenes with Stephen Rea and Rafe Spall were quite enjoyable, and the final 10-15 minutes of the episode were genuinely exciting, although I enjoyed all of those things in isolation, and the overall story and case continues to bore me to tears.

Episode 3: "Episode 3"
    This feels like it could be building to some epic final reveal, and the last few episodes could be absolutely amazing, but this is just drawn out and dull. I had hoped after the slight improvement in the second episode that things would start ramping up a bit and it would start getting somewhere, but it was more a case of one step forward two steps back. There were one or two interesting scenes, but in general it was another let down.

Final Thoughts:
    As with all shows in this, this is just my opinion, and others may really enjoy this, but I was bored out of my tree through the majority of it, and it isn't something I have any interest continuing with. Perhaps I'm underrating and underappreciating it myself, and it is indeed a work of genius, but just not for me in the slightest unfortunately.

Advertisement