Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Back in the game

20b4bd9d32b00eac9c5c59b15e3294b3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

cee_jay wrote: »
    Well at least I know I won't be able to come in last... I think?! My next pick is bound to send me tumbling down the table because top of the leaderboard seems cursed!

Depends on what the bonus rounds involve... ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I haven't watched Coupling in years, it had a great ensemble cast, Jack Davenport should do more comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 1st with 14 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Coupling

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 10
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 100%

I f**king adore Coupling, it's criminal just how underrated and underappreciated (yes it would've been my dealer's choice for the previous round had it not being submitted into the Walrus) this amazing series is. People actually have the audacity to refer to this masterpiece as "the British equivalent to Friends" which is like comparing a Van Gogh original to a pre-schoolers finger painting...
    e0c27dcc1b9e04ad3ef3597479760e80.gif

Whoo-hoo! :D
    Coupling genuinely is my favourite sitcom, beating the likes of Father Ted, Blackadder, Black Books. Like you said, the writing is exemplary, nothing is wasted. So often you get to the end and realise it's all been a setup for the final joke, but it's been so well done and littered with great jokes along the way.

Even I wouldn't have given the first episode 10 though, have to leave room in the scoring for the giggle loop and naked people in episode three ;)

The Friends comment always wound me up too. It's just lazy, because it's three guys and three girls, there's no other similarity

One glaring omission this round is Catastrophe, can't believe no one entered it! One of the finest shows of the last few years.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    cee_jay 13 6 13 11 3 6 13 65
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 10 7 9 9 14 63
    Alfred Borden 10 10 6 12 13 1 9 61
    SineadSpears 5 3 11 9 12 14 6 60
    ShaneU 14 1 12 11 11 8 2 59
    Sawduck 9 7 9 8 4 10 12 59
    JohnGreenFan 7 11 4 5 7 13 11 58
    Necro 2 4 14 14 1 12 10 57
    JP Liz V1 11 12 2 7 14 5 3 54
    Davis Wrong Tweed 7 14 7 13 6 2 1 50
    the purple tin 12 9 8 1 10 3 7 50
    aaronjennings 8 5 3 5 8 11 4 44
    Irish Aris 3 8 5 2 5 4 6 33
    Kolido 4 2 1 5 2 7 8 29
    I thought the first round was just a practice round, those scores don't count, right? :D

If I'd have known I would be this high up I wouldn't have gambled so much with the last round, I don't have high hopes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I loved the first two seasons of Catastrophe but I think it went downhill - really disliked Season 4.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    I loved the first two seasons of Catastrophe but I think it went downhill - really disliked Season 4.
    Oh really? I thought it ended really strong. As with many comedies it got less funny and more dramatic, but I was totally on board by that point

In 8th with 7 points is
    the purple tin

Reaper

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955322/

LHncYu2l.jpg
    Forgot all about Reaper, loved this when it was on :)
    In 3rd with 12 points is
    Sawduck

My Name Is Earl

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460091/

3qjjrfUl.jpg
    Love this too, great choice :)

If I'd have known I would be this high up I wouldn't have gambled so much with the last round, I don't have high hopes!

Maybe the gamble paid off...

Maybe the gamble paid off...
    Lm93KRM.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My favourite TV show all time. I had it in my nominations originally and switched it out as Season 1 is definitely the weakest of the whole show. If anyone hasn't watched this, make it a priority. Its excellent.

I think with it's award wins it has regained new viewers or returning viewers as season 1 was poor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Is the US version of Utopia worth watching?

• Advertisement

Is the US version of Utopia worth watching?
    No no no no no, a million times no!

It's such a shame, I thought Gillian Flynn would do a good job with the screenplay but it's taken all the subtle nuance and replaced it with shouty exposition, removed all the style and replaced it with nothing. It really is an absolute travesty of a show

This is a good review, spend 20mins on this and save any time watching the series!

Do not watch this video if you haven't seen the original though, spoilers ahoy!

Was debating whether to postpone this for a few days or not, as got the word that my Granda passed last night, but there's not much else for me to be doing at the minute, and there's a show in the final round that I introduced my Granda to, that we both were big fans of, so it feels apt to carry on with the Finale today (look I may get interrupted at some stage to take phone calls or whatever, so it may be a more staggered reveal than usual, but sure we'll see how it goes...)

Gonna face-off against all the Rugby action today and kick-off the final round reveal Must See TV at 3.30, and then we'll deal with the bonus rounds after that...

There's one particular Must See TV show for me at the moment that would've definitely been my choice for this category, and that is...

Cobra Kai

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7221388/
    IMDB wrote:
    Decades after their 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament bout, a middle-aged Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence find themselves martial-arts rivals again.

3AYiA8Ll.jpg

I wasn't a Karate Kid fan growing up at all, I had seen bits from it, but had never watched any of the movies in full, but when I heard how good Cobra Kai was, I decided to watch the movies and then dive in to the show and it was one of the best decisions I ever made, because I absolutely love this series, it's just silly, and joyful, and over-dramatic, and I wish I was part of a Karate War...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Very sorry to hear that LeVar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

My condolences LeVar, I'm very sorry to hear that - hope this gives you the distraction you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Awh LeVar very sorry to hear that news :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

So sorry to hear that lavar, I lost my grandad around this time last year and I know it can be a very difficult time, take all the time you need

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated.

Seen Karate Kid myself when I was younger but don't remember much of it.
    Dont think I'd be much interested in Cobra Kai. The boss here watches the newer Cobra Kai but I didn't sit with him because I just didn't think I'd like it.
    Probably should have at least watched one or two just to see what it was about. He's too far ahead now so I won't catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have watched Cobra Kai over the past few weeks, and it is a GREAT show. It is does the nostalgia perfectly, while being full of teenage (and adult) drama. I have a phobia of snakes, and still managed to watch all of this, and love almost every second.

Right, so let's get to this Final Day of action here on the very 1st TV Walrus!!! :D

Everyone grab some popcorn and settle in!!!

There was one final duplicate in this round, so 13 unique shows fighting it out for spots...

Kicking off with 7th place in just a moment...

• Advertisement

I have watched Cobra Kai over the past few weeks, and it is a GREAT show. It is does the nostalgia perfectly, while being full of teenage (and adult) drama. I have a phobia of snakes, and still managed to watch all of this, and love almost every second.

Is that the 2018 one your talking about?

Or LeVars 1984 one?

In 7th with 7 points is
    SineadSpears

Spartacus

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442449/
    IMDB wrote:
    The life of Spartacus, the gladiator who lead a rebellion against the Romans. From his time as an ally of the Romans, to his betrayal and becoming a gladiator, to the rebellion he leads and its ultimate outcome.

hqLfB8Wl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 6.3
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 86.3%

Episode 1: "The Red Serpent"
    Imagine the worst CGI you've ever seen, double it, and you're still not even close to this mess of a visual experience. It was like watching a bad video game for most of the episode. The majority of the acting was painfully bad too, although there were some legendary actors introduced in the second half of the episode that made everything significantly better. I am of course talking about the always wonderful John Hannah and Lucy Lawless, and I bow down before their greatness. Manu Bennett also appears at the same time as them, and I'm a big fan of his from his time on Arrow, but he doesn't actually have any dialogue in this episode, so hopefully he has a bigger role going forward. Craig Parker was also pretty good throughout the episode. Andy Whitfield, the show's lead actor, I'm not so sure about, the jury is still out on him, there were so many bad actors around him, it was hard to gauge his performance. Despite the dodgy acting and vomit inducing visuals, there's a good story buried underneath all the crap, and if I can get used to the style (which I think I may have been towards the end of the episode) there's a lot of potential here. I simultaneously hated it and didn't hate it, and it was verging on so-bad-its-actually-really-really-good territory, but not quite there just yet, but on its way there.

Episode 2: "Sacramentum Gladiatorum"
    A huge improvement on the first episode, this is kind of what I was hoping for based on the last third or so of The Red Serpent, it still has a low budget B-Movie sort of vibe, which is something I really love, but there's also a really compelling story, and the acting is far better overall ; I was unsure about Whitfield in the first episode, but thought he was really good here, with some more capable actors to bounce off of. Visually it was infinitely more appealing as well, there was a sh*t tonne of bad green screen in the first episode as they had to convey a lot of different locations, but this was all confined to the one place, so a lot less CGI in general. I thoroughly enjoyed this, thought it was great and am wholeheartedly invested in the series now.

Episode 3: "Legends"
    Not quite as strong as the last one, but still pretty damn great, enjoyed this one a lot as well. A good bit more character development for a couple of characters too that I had been hoping for. Not much else to say on this that I haven't said in the previous two write-ups, so will leave it at that.

Final Thoughts:
    Bounced back really well after a less than stellar first episode, and really loved the next two episodes, so will be continuing with this one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've been meaning to watch Spartacus for ages.
    Lucy Lawless really rings my bell ;)

:D:D

I loved that show so much. Absolute filth it was!!

That was actually the only show from my noms that it thought you'd like :o

Don't know what I was at when I was formatting this document, all my Quote tags were [IMDB=QUOTE][/IMDB] instead of the correct way around... :D

Thank f**k for words find/replace function

In 8th with 6 points is
    Alfred Borden

Patrick Melrose

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6586318/
    IMDB wrote:
    Based on the Patrick Melrose Novels by Edward St. Aubyn.

JKkG6DMl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 8.8
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 85%

Episode 1: "Bad News"
    I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive going into this, and my expectations weren't particualarly high for it. I've never really got the appeal and adoration have for Butternut Curtainswatch, aside from the fact that it's always fun to purposely get his name wrong. I had seen Sherlock and Doctor Strange, and liked them, so its not that I can't stand him or anything, I've just always found him a bit bland as an actor, but in fairness to him he's fantastic here and this definitely surpassed by expectations by some margin. Very enjoyable.

Episode 2: "Never Mind"
    Bananabread Concubine took a backseat this episode and barely features as a flashback to Patrick's childhood takes up the entire episode. It was an uncomfortably tense episode, but also incredibly done, and brilliantly shot. The acting from everyone involved in the episode was superb, and it had me captivated throughout.

Episode 3: "Some Hope"
    Don't know if it was the fact that Beetlejuice Cupcakeface was back front and centre or if the second episode set the bar so high anything that didn't come close to it would only be a disappointment, but it just struggled to maintain my interest. Wasn't a patch on the first episode either. The final ten minutes or so did pick up again and saved it a bit, but was a little too little too late.

Final Thoughts:
    Only another two episodes to go, so will finish watching it, and hopefully the third episode was merely a blip and the final two are a return to the form of the first episode at least, if not the second.

Actually I think that puts me in the top spot :cool: For a minute or two anyway :pac:

I really like Benny as Dr Strange..

In 6th with 8 points is
    Necro

The Shield

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/
    IMDB wrote:
    Follows the lives and cases of a dirty Los Angeles Police Department cop and the unit under his command.

ssRpvjjl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.6
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 92.3%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    I've only seen the first season of this, watched it last year, been meaning to continue on with the rest of the series, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. It's a great show, fantastic cast, well written, and feels a hell of a lot more realistic than the "safer" cop dramas. It's a strong first episode, there's lots going on, plenty of characters to be introduced to, but everything is set up well and it's very entertaining.

Episode 2: "Our Gang"
    Not as good as the first episode, a bit slower paced, a bit more disjointed, mostly cleaning up after the events of the pilot episode and resetting the table once again, but still very enjoyable, just missing that extra bit of umph that'd have it up there with the first episode.

Episode 3: "Dawg Days"
    Excellent episode, that I think does a slightly better job than the previous two at really setting the tone for the entire series, gets into people's motivations a bit more for doing the things they do, especially Vic, that makes the characters more realatable. The acting in general is great in this show, but Michael Chiklis deserves all the credit he gets and more for his portrayal of Vic Mackey.

Final Thoughts:
    As I said I only watched the first season last year, so most of it is still fresh enough in my memory, but this re-watch of the first three has definitely lit a fire under me to get stuck in to season two as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

In 9th with 5 points is
    cee_jay

Line of Duty

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2303687/
    IMDB wrote:
    Drama series following the investigations of AC-12, a controversial police anticorruption unit.

QnGk1kWl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8
    Episode 2 Rating: 7.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 83.6%

Episode 1: "A Disastrous Affair"
    Watched this for the first time not all that long ago, because so many people had told me it was the greatest crime drama of all-time and was better than The Wire. It's good, but it definitely ain't "greatest crime drama of all-time" good. At the time I thought having raised expectations may have tinted my opinion of it slightly, but on this re-watch I still feel the same way about it as I did the first go around ; it's compelling and intriguing, well acted, but not quite a top tier show for me.

Episode 2: "The Assault"
    I find with a lot of these gritty BBC Police Dramas that even if 90% of the episode is pretty average, they end with an epic cliffhanger that will be enough to bring the viewers back for the next episode and have people talking around the watercooler about the show therefore drawing in more viewers via word of mouth, which is essentially what this episode is. I can appeciate that to an extent, it's a perfectly valid business model, but once you look past the smoke and mirrors of those big flashy endings, there's an awful lot of faffing about for most of the episode. The cliffhanger does drag this episode up a bit for me when it comes to rating, because overall it's not as good as the first, but then they knock it out of the park in the final few minutes.

Episode 3: "In The Trap"
    All the action and drama ramps up nicely in this one, moving along at a breakneck pace now after all the meandering that went on in the last episode. I do remember from the last time I watched the series is that this episode and the final two episodes of the season were far superior to the first two episodes, which take their time to get everything set up and everything moved into place ; again not saying the first two episodes weren't good, this one is just a different level.

Final Thoughts:
    I've only watched the first two seasons of this, so must get back into it again, it's a good show with decent characters, even if I do think people talk it up a bit too much. Good choice, but up against some stacked competition.

Advertisement